Thread: Sectors - Again :D

Wink Sectors - Again :D

Okay here's something I posted to: (newsgroup)

rec.arts.startrek.tech

On the topic of 'Re: Wrath of Khan - Quadrants'.

"Okay I just read over the entire thread and the use of grids got me
    interested.

I scribble a lot of maps and have developed a 'radial sector arrangement'
    that jibes fairly well with canon sectors. See here: (check the subfolders
    to)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fedsize/files/

Unfortunely its a 2d system. But with the SF mention of grids. I theorize
    that grids reflect a +/- Z axis 'plane'.

eg. You have a 2d slice of 1 sector (20x20x20) 'deep' at say grid 0. Then
    you can have the same sector at grid +1 or -1.

This would work well since in 'our' area of space the galaxy is only about
    1000 ly thick.

Or if positive/negative symbols weren't preferred. Then it could simply be
    grid 1 at the very top of the galaxy right down to grid 500 at the very
    bottom. (assuming the entire galaxy is about 10000 ly thick around the hub).

Thus sector 001 would be around grid 249.

I think it works and will be incorporating it.

SIR SIG
    "

Now I think this has great possibilities. And also allows for 2d maps to stay.

Thoughts?

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Question

Um. . .I don't want to cause any problem (I love your maps; and apprecieate the work you have put into them; I can't express how I feel about your sharing them with us!), but well I think they all have a serious flaw. Didn't the ST:TNG establish that Earth is at the heart of Sector001? When the Borg were in-comming the destination was sector001, then they said dramatically, Earth. Aren't the sectors off then by 10 light-years?

Well I trust he has reason enough to put Sol there, so if that is the case and you had to assign a sector to that system, I'd go 001, wouldn't you?

Still, gives more of a dramatic effect than this scene:

"...for Sector 001."

"Formalhaut!"

I'd say Starfleet HQ gets a tad more attention than the poor Arcturans when it comes to the fleet's protectiveness.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redwood973:
    Um. . .I don't want to cause any problem (I love your maps; and apprecieate the work you have put into them; I can't express how I feel about your sharing them with us!), but well I think they all have a serious flaw. Didn't the ST:TNG establish that Earth is at the heart of Sector001? When the Borg were in-comming the destination was sector001, then they said dramatically, Earth. Aren't the sectors off then by 10 light-years? </font>
    I am honoured so many people are checking my maps out

Okay Earth and sector 001:

* Its generally accepted that Earth is in sector 001 (canon) and that the Alpha/Beta Quadrant division line runs through the Sol system; specifically the Sun.

* Now I find it incredibly silly that if Earth was in the middle of sector 001. That with the A/B line there would be 1000's of sectors split across 2 quadrants.

* Personally I would like Earth to be in the exact middle. But for mapping constraints it wont work properly.

* References to other nearbye stars in various sectors. ie Vulcan i sector 5 (canon)

* And I tested every aspect by drawing Earth in various poses for sector 001 until I came up with the way I have now.

* So by assuming that the A/B line goes through the Oort Cloud of the Sol system, I can jam sector 001 in the corner with Earth and keep it constantly in the Alpha Quadrant.

Phew

------------------
    SIRSIG

As well, some stars don't obviously fit in the right sectors when Earth is moved around.

ie Alpha Centauri and Andor specifically.

------------------
    SIRSIG

I think that the way it was described in BoBW the Borg were heading for Sector 001, and Worf narrowed it down by saying the Terran system. To which Riker said "Earth." I don't believe that it was ever said the Terra was located at the heart of the Sector, just that it was located in the sector.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

WooHoo a loyal fan

Yep so while I'd prefer Earth in the middle of sector 001. It just won't work right with the A/B quadrant border line.

Like whats the point of a division line if your just going to have a area involving 'both sides of the fence'.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    * Now I find it incredibly silly that if Earth was in the middle of sector 001. That with the A/B line there would be 1000's of sectors split across 2 quadrants.
    </font>
    Why? The quadrant system is nothing more than galatic equator. . .there but without meaning. It would cause no more dificulty by having sectors split than having a nation split by the equator. You know it's split, but so?
    Also, I was under the impression that the Federation lay chiefly in the Alpha, with some spill over into the Beta Quadrant. Thus someother object was used to mark the dividing line, as Earth was well within the Alpha Quadrant.

Why? The quadrant system is nothing more than galatic equator. . .there but without meaning. It would cause no more dificulty by having sectors split than having a nation split by the equator. You know it's split, but so?
    Also, I was under the impression that the Federation lay chiefly in the Alpha, with some spill over into the Beta Quadrant. Thus someother object was used to mark the dividing line, as Earth was well within the Alpha Quadrant.

</font>
    Kinda. But I feel it also to be the defining line amongst Sectors.

Although going off my maps and sector spiral arrangement. A 'equator' like quality could be better.

------------------
    SIRSIG

While generally there is more Fed space in Alpha Quadrant then Beta.

Who's to say that the A/B line has to be a exact divison of the Federation?

Plus Earth is the capital/admin centre. Thus it makes sense to start mapping the sectors from Earth.

------------------
    SIRSIG

</font>
    Actually, it would be a bit more like if the equator was at 73.281 degrees lattitude.
    The quadrants is the basic division of galactic space. Sectors, while they may be used as political divisions, are primarily geographical divisions, used to subdivide the galaxy into manageable chunks of equal size, rather like the lines of Longitude and Lattitude.
    Given that, I would certainly have no problem if a given political power, like the Romulans, took up only a fraction of some sectors. But I agree entirely with Sir Sig that the quadrant boundary should also be a sector boundary, rather than in mid-sector.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

[This message has been edited by spyone (edited 07-12-2001).]