Thread: Automated Missile Defense System

Automated Missile Defense System

The following Idea for a AEGIS kind Defense System has been on my mind for quiet some time and finally i'm trying to press it into some form.
    Comments and feedback are appreciated

Automated Missile Defense System

The Automated Missile Defense System (AMDS) was developed during the early stages of the Dominion War but development difficulties delayed its implementation until late 2375 and even then the System was only installed on Starbases and some larger capital Ships. Its purpose is to provide Protection against massed missile attacks.
    The AMDS main intend is to intercept incoming Missiles like Photon torpedoes and detonate these prematurely. It primary Systems consist of a Missile launcher, and a specialized Tactical Computer System Package.
    A Launcher Fires Missiles about twice the Size of a Microtorpedo able to do 50 Points of Damage. It has a range of Range of 5/50.000/250,000 KM at an Accuracy of 5/7/9/11. A launcher costs 5 SU’s, and has a Spread of 10, 100 Missiles cost 5 SU’s. No matter how many Shots a launcher fires it requires 5 Power to use. The System itself automatically and posses a skill of 2 (Basic intellect or Coordination is 3) plus any Bonus an advanced Threat Assessment/Tracking/Targeting System grants, as the Computerpackage is directly linked to the TA/T/TS.
    Each missile detected will be targeted by two missiles from the AMDS, thus effectively doubling its chances to counteract incoming missiles. At short ranges this does not work. And a Missile fired at point blank Range has only a very slim chance to be counteracted before hitting. In this case on a result of one on a d6 the AMDS starts one missile to counteract the incoming shot.
    Only one Tactical Computer System Package is needed but more separat launchers can be bought to increase protection.

It's always nice to see a new take on an old concept. I believe you can find several other rules for this concept as well.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Another Idea i had in mind was using low powered Phaser shots to destroy incoming missiles.
    This would not use up space for extra systems like the launchers.

What do you think of these rules, taken from an older post:

CIWS Firing rules:
    To attempt to hit a missile weapon target add +3 difficulty to the standard range difficulty. If roll equals difficulty, target is severly damaged and moves one hex (30,000m) in a random direction. Role 1d6 to determine direction (1-forward, 2=forward right of original direction of travel, 3=backward right of original direction of travel, etc.). Target then detonates in that hex.
    If roll is +1 greater then difficulty, target detonates in hex where hit doing 1/2 damage then normal. If role is +2 (or more) greater then difficulty target is destroyed and does not detonate.

And here is the spacedock purchase capability:
    CIWS Firing Mode
    SU Cost: 2
    Energy Cost: 1 Power/use/round
    Purchasing the CIWS firing mode capability installs a small independed latteral sensor that is only capable of tracking an assigned target. This allows for the ability to track smaller incoming ordinances. This may only be purchased for beam weapons, microtorpedo launchers, and rocket launchers.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Sounds good to me.
    But the CIWS Phaser raises another question: Since it is a firing mode using the ships phaser array shots targeted at incoming missiles it has to count against the maximum shots a array can fire in one round.

Point taken . . . I guess it would. Never thought of that.

I suppose one way to do it is carry a lower powered, higher rate of fire phaser array specifically for CIWS and have your regular high powered Phaser array for regular offensive capability. Or if your on an Akira, your multiple torpedo tubes ;-)

I think the version of a separate Paser System for Point defense would be the most economic solution as IMHO it would be a real waste of resources to expend any of a ships limited supply of Photon Torpedoes to counteract a incoming missile (except for dire emergency situations ).

If one could extend the range of the MicroTorpedoes, as I have done in several of my designs it could be relatively effective, and use far less power. Only problem being is that the range would never equal that of even the lowest power shipboard phaser system, and it would have to carry a large emount of MicroTorpedoes.

This brings us back to the system I proposed at the beginning.
    I just expanded the Range of the missiles to a much greater Range (Perhaps about half the effective range of a Photon torpedo would be appropriate as the System needs to asses the situation and fires automatically against all incoming missile attacks.

The system is probably not failsafe, as it could mistake a shuttle with local dignitaries coming for a courtesy visit as a incoming missile and start to intercept it with weapons fire (and provoking a diplomatic incident ).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    I just expanded the Range of the missiles to a much greater Range (Perhaps about half the effective range of a Photon torpedo would be appropriate as the System needs to asses the situation and fires automatically against all incoming missile attacks.
    Well that is more generous then I would have done, but for every man, his own home grown rules.

And yes, that would cause some trouble wouldn't it.

That brings me to wonder, why is it that Starships only have two circles of fire? Shouldn't there be additional circles of fire to provide additional layers of protection, rather than being dependent on the shields.

I guess one can agrue it away by saying that Starfleet Starships were never ment to be warships, but primarily ships of exploration.

But I would think four layers, with heavy emphesis on photon torpedos would be nice.

I actually thoght that 50.000 Kilometers would be the most effective range at wich the system operates savely. The long range would only come in to play if a hailstorm of missiles are homing in on the ship.

On the phaser subject im not quite sure, while Starfleet ships usually have to circles of Fire the is nothing wrong with having multiple phaser arrays along this circles. Their firing arcs could be built to overlap each other, multiplying the phaser shots available to one side of the ship - provided there is enough power available to make use of them anyway -.
    But I personally think this is starting to abuse the rules , so i wont let my players get away with it.

On the other hand phasers are regarded as usefull tool and Weapons and not for defense. They are normally not intended to be used as dedicated point defense system, instead protection is provided by the shieldsystem.
    In the Traveller Universe almost no ships have Shields for defense normally employing other systems to provide protection against attacks.

The AMDS could be a departure of this policy.

Provided that one has sufficient power would it not be better to have shields as a secondary defense option do to the fact that most attacks overcome shield thresholds, still creating internal and structural damage to the starship? It would be as if a modern day vessel was relying on their armor when opposed by anti-ship missiles.

And thus the creation of the R/L AEIGIS system. And your and my attempts to emulate it.

Plus wouldn't using phasers or Microtorpedos be more inline with Starfleets Defense first posture?

I personally think the systems would fit into the defense first posture nicely , although they are not really star trek (The never been seen on screen dilemma).
    The systems sole purpose is to counteract missiles, so beam weapons have to be still deflected by shields.
    ...And most of the time phasers are preferd over torpedoes in all battles seen on screen.

True, however, projectile weapons in contrast to cost of energy usage, are far more leathal, in general.

But they are available only in limited quantities and are not normally used by Starfleet due to their destructive potential. Beam weapons on the other hand can be adjusted to do less damage and can be used against individual systems.