Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidator Queeg
    Too little too late now these PDFs.
    OK, I definitely have to take this one back. And clarify. Before I get roasted.

I really do appreciate the work going in to the upcoming e-books. Kudos to Kieran on the Decipher end, and Patrick for volunteering his time. That's coolness in spades. Sorry if it seemed otherwise, fellas.

I really only have a problem with the price of these e-books.

That is all. Nothing else to see here. Really. Bugger off now, I said!

*Queeg apologizing. What's this world coming too!*

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshuro
    Someone will always find something to gripe about.

Am I happy that they're PDF, no, not really. I do prefer books. After waiting so many years though I'd rather get something then nothing, and if it's PDF so be it.
    This was pretty much my approach as well. I'd much rather have the books in some format (other than the playtest copies I held onto) than not have them at all. If I can help Kieran get the LOTR books off of Decipher's hard drives and into the hands of the gamers that want them, I'll call it a good day. So far, Decipher's released three LOTR books and two Trek books in the last five months, and that's way the hell more than we got in the last two years.

Hopefully Kieran and Patrick and I and others can get the work done on the rest of the books in the queue, get them into the hands of the gamers that want them, then see if Decipher is able to green-light all-new books as opposed to releasing books that have been around in some form for the past 2 and a half years.

As for the price, sure I think they're a little high, but then, so is just about everything else in this world. Decipher has competitively priced their PDFs compared to the rest of the companies at their level, and I think the books that have come out thus far are worth it, two year wait or not. Ultimately, each consumer has to decide for themselves.

I hope they switch from the black background on the newer books. The pdfs look fantastic on my handheld PC (its like reading a PADD), but I hate offering up a black ink cartidge as a sacrifice for a hardcopy.

At least all the black means I'll get value for my 16 cents/page at Kinkos.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    I hope they switch from the black background on the newer books. The pdfs look fantastic on my handheld PC (its like reading a PADD), but I hate offering up a black ink cartidge as a sacrifice for a hardcopy.

At least all the black means I'll get value for my 16 cents/page at Kinkos.
    Kieran is, in fact, trying to get away from black backgrounds. He wouldn't have done Mirror Universe with all the black backgrounds if he'd had the time to reformat the book for PDF rather than print.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Kieran is, in fact, trying to get away from black backgrounds. He wouldn't have done Mirror Universe with all the black backgrounds if he'd had the time to reformat the book for PDF rather than print.

Great! The PADD Style black backgrounds look wonderful on glossy paper, but use up a lot of ink.

I can understand that many products were already formatted with a black background, though.

The PDF/print book situation is a catch-22.

Decipher now wants to use PDF sales as an indicator to print new books. Their original print sales apparently weren't enough to justify printing new books. So they decide to release PDFs as indicators ...

*scratches head*
    I never said that Decipher's business decisions made sense, and have in fact been openly critical of those business decisions in both the recent and the distant past. Their business decisions may yet prove lethal to the company.

I'm just passing on the information that I'm given.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    It has to be said too, that if there is the slightest snifter of these being released to print I would ALWAYS buy them as a preference. I hate E-books, they are so expensive tp print *eyes Mirror source book with black pages*
    There's always a possibility, but as I said to someone else this morning, holding one's breath would seem contra-indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshuro
    Am I happy that they're PDF, no, not really. I do prefer books. After waiting so many years though I'd rather get something then nothing, and if it's PDF so be it.
    As Jim said, that's the approach I'm taking. I thought they should have done something like this a couple of years ago, but I'll take the timing as it comes, too.

I really do appreciate the work going in to the upcoming e-books. Kudos to Kieran on the Decipher end, and Patrick for volunteering his time. That's coolness in spades. Sorry if it seemed otherwise, fellas.
    No insult was assumed, Queeg, at least not on my part; neither Kieran nor I have anything to do with the business decisions the company makes. I happen to share some of your misgivings, for what it's worth. The game's worth it to me, though, to put up with some of the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Great! The PADD Style black backgrounds look wonderful on glossy paper, but use up a lot of ink.
    I should have posted it earlier, but Kieran's doing a bit of a graphical reworking on the existing books as we get them ready for PDF; he posted a sample spread here in this thread to show the general direction he's heading in for this.

Ohh That looks good.
    I didn't recognize the pages (I admit I didn't really search my memory too hard either). Which book are those two pages from? Is it the new layout we should be expecting for the re-release of the 2 corebooks, or is it a test for some future releases?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by otaku mike
    Ohh That looks good.
    I didn't recognize the pages (I admit I didn't really search my memory too hard either). Which book are those two pages from? Is it the new layout we should be expecting for the re-release of the 2 corebooks, or is it a test for some future releases?
    That's a couple of pages from the Player's Guide. Kieran says the layout should be consistent across the line as the books are converted.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    That's a couple of pages from the Player's Guide. Kieran says the layout should be consistent across the line as the books are converted.
    Sorry to be so inquisitive, but are you implying that even the pdf only releases will eventually be converted to the new layout "to be consistent across the line"? Should I wait for this event before printing my copy of Mirror Universe?

Thanks for any answer you might give me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by otaku mike
    Sorry to be so inquisitive, but are you implying that even the pdf only releases will eventually be converted to the new layout "to be consistent across the line"? Should I wait for this event before printing my copy of Mirror Universe?
    It's my understanding that he wants to do something with Mirror Universe so that it doesn't consume enough black ink to print an encyclopedia, but that's going to be somewhere way way way down the line. I'm not 100% sure on when/if he'll get the chance to do it.

I'm a sucker...

..Ok so I haven't checked the forums in a bit and there is an explosion of new books out and being released! Wow, I'm amazed and excited Hmm.. Ya know I pre-order Worlds a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, ..... nevermind, what I was wondering was if you guys put up a presell to the pdf books and see what kind of sales you'll generate? Would that help in showing the numbers we can generate on top quality products like Worlds & Mirror Universe? I got my $$$ back from the pre-sell but I'll blindly do it again to show faith in you two (& y'all at Decipher)who are giving your time away Thanks for the great books, can't wait read read them (Yes I bought both of them). Cheers!
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!