Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Upcoming Releases

Someone Release The Damn Klingon Book.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Someone Release The Damn Klingon Book.
    If I ever get an answer, I'll let you know. I mentioned release of Blood & Honor about six times the last time I wrote anyone. Mind you, holding your breath would be contra-indicated, since Decipher seems to be on its last legs (personal opinion; I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but it sure seems likely to me).
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    If I ever get an answer, I'll let you know. I mentioned release of Blood & Honor about six times the last time I wrote anyone. Mind you, holding your breath would be contra-indicated, since Decipher seems to be on its last legs (personal opinion; I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but it sure seems likely to me).
    Is there any reason they're sitting on it? How much is it going to make? If it will make anything, what difference will that make to the company as a whole, especially if they obviously aren't putting effort into paying off those they already owe (or have no ability to do so).

Is there any reason they're sitting on it? How much is it going to make? If it will make anything, what difference will that make to the company as a whole, especially if they obviously aren't putting effort into paying off those they already owe (or have no ability to do so).
    Nothing that I know about; OTOH, they have gone into silent mode again, so what the hell do I know? I think a Klingon book would sell well, but then they increase their debt a few thousand bucks because now they have to add the money they're not paying the authors and artists for that book to the money they're not paying the authors and artists of all the previous books. It's your basic vicious circle.

This doesn't excuse them, of course, but I can see a small portion of why they're not releasing new material. Personally, I think the Klingon book might pay for itself, but that's just me. I don't live in the same wonderland that Warren Holland lives in, and unfortunately, he doesn't have to answer to stockholders. Private company, don't ya know.

Is there any reason they're sitting on it?
    There's a good possibility the text of the book isn't finalized, or it may not be laid out in the standard 'book look.' Paying someone to lay out the book is not cheap. If Kieran has indeed moved on from Decipher, I don't think there's anyone that I know of there who can manipulate the raw files and lay them out. Decipher would have to hire someone, and they don't seem to have any money to do so. They probably couldn't release the book if they wanted to.

Unless they released the raw text files, which is unlikely. I have the playtest copies for the unreleased LOTR books, but they're not pretty to look at. Just plain text on a normal white page. No frills. No one is going to pay $20 for that.

Any new information or updates? I'm eager to start downloadingl.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Uruz
    Any new information or updates? I'm eager to start downloadingl.
    Nothing much yet. I heard from Scott at Decipher that they have someone who's going to do the PDF layout and such, but nothing on a release date for the next books.

Of course not.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Uruz
    Of course not.
    Don't knock it; it's a step up from where we were. We've only just gotten the dialog reestablished; we've got to take small steps sometimes. The fact that we've gotten this much is mildly encouraging, however.

It's a catch-22, really. If they publish release dates and miss them, they get grief. If they don't publish release dates, they get grief.

Been there done that. Got the t-shirt and the post card. Ate at the trendy diner too.

The whole RPG tenure with Decipher since 2002-3 is like a sad sad Keystone Cops film. I mean it's seriously a f***ing joke.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    It's a catch-22, really. If they publish release dates and miss them, they get grief. If they don't publish release dates, they get grief.
    Just what i've said over the years...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

If Mr. Scott ran a gaming company, he'd always make his release dates.

That's what happens when you quadruple your time estimates.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

It's been an overly-long while since I've last posted here, but figured I should at least note this: I've bought and downloaded both Worlds and Glass Darkly, but have refrained from having either of them bound or printed until the whole unpublished truckload came through from Decipher. As of around Christmas, I was starting to conclude that the scenario where Decipher pushes one or two through the pipe, then concludes, "Nah...too much like work. Let's see if there's another movie property we can base a CCG off of," had become the order of the day.

Patrick, Jim and Doug: I have to extend you gentlemen my unqualified thanks for simply getting the extant works out - including the last two - and continuing to shove cattle prods up certain individuals' orifi in order to get some kind of response. If there is any further movement from Decipher, I know for a fact it's been due to your unflagging spirits, not Decipher's drive to actually go to work and do business.

I really am praying for the day when we can see that final work available on Drive-Thru, and can slam the door on Decipher and their sophmoric, pin-headed approach to good business practices forever. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, guys - here's to hoping that they actually manage to listen long enough to take advantage of your good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Patrick, Jim and Doug: I have to extend you gentlemen my unqualified thanks for simply getting the extant works out - including the last two - and continuing to shove cattle prods up certain individuals' orifi in order to get some kind of response. If there is any further movement from Decipher, I know for a fact it's been due to your unflagging spirits, not Decipher's drive to actually go to work and do business.
    Dan (I hope that's right; it's been a while, and I have a 4-month-old sucking out my brain cells on a regular basis): I can't speak for Jim or Doug, but for myself -- you're more than welcome to my efforts.

And thank you for the vote of confidence. Seeing as that's how I get paid, it's worth more than I can easily express in words.