Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Releases

Upcoming Releases

Ergi was right; we have drifted a bit on the "Mirror Universe is out" thread. Here's a cross-post from Decipher's forums from Kieran Yanner about the upcoming release schedule. The best we'll do for right now in terms of dates is "soon."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran Yanner, Decipherian
    This is hopefully the releases for next year. I'm not gonna give dates so don't ask lol I know how rabid you people get when they arn't met - so I'm not going to date anything.

Already Released::
    Worlds
    Mirror Universe

To Be Released::
    Star Trek Player's Guide (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    Star Trek Narrator's Guide (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    Starfleet Operations Manual (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    Peace Keepers: The Guide to Soldiers and Diplomats (New - E-Book)
    Starships (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    Klingons (New - E-Book)
    Aliens (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    The Next Generation (New - E-Book)
    Creatures (Updated Re-release - E-Book)
    Deep Space 9 (New - E-Book)
    Privateers: The Guide to Merchants and Rogues (New - E-Book)
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Some simple math should work ...

Considering there are *Queeg counts* eleven releases scheduled for 2006, I suppose the best-case scenario is about one release per month. Or two every other month. Or three per quarter. Or a half-dozen every six months. Or, perhaps, eleven in the whole year?

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

What does "updated" exactly mean?
    Does that mean that the errata are integrated (minor content update)? Or that simply means the book is adapted for a better pdf quality only, but otherwise the text is unchanged (technical update)? Or we can expect a few additional writeups to entice the owners of the paper versions, like me, to buy the pdfs (major content update)?

Mike

Cool

All E-Book? *sigh*

I can only hope they organize the Base books better *grumble*
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I am curious weirdly enough if the updates added are added will introduce not just Enterprise, but Nemesis as well from Starships, Tech and Races.

It has been said in another thread that rules updates and Enterprise will be added but nothing on Nemesis.

No secret, my opinions of those two products, but I think it should be asked by someone.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I really need to know what the prices on these will be before i consider purchase...

except for Klingons.

I've been waiting for that for years.

So Don, how'd you get a job working for Decipher? ¬_¬
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by otaku mike
    What does "updated" exactly mean?
    Does that mean that the errata are integrated (minor content update)? Or that simply means the book is adapted for a better pdf quality only, but otherwise the text is unchanged (technical update)? Or we can expect a few additional writeups to entice the owners of the paper versions, like me, to buy the pdfs (major content update)?
    Errata is being assembled and will be integrated into the upcoming re-releases; I'm working on the Player's Guide right now. For the PG, a couple of pages on Enterprise will be added to the first chapter (updated to "Forty Years of Star Trek" from 35), and the Denobulans will be added as a player species. We're still talking about any other changes that might happen to the PG, so this might not be all. In addition to the content fixes/changes, the graphic presentation is being reworked so as to be a little more printer-friendly.

As for what happens with the rest of the books...well, that remains to be seen. I'm volunteering my time at the moment, and that time that I have to offer is pretty tight, so we're doing this one book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    All E-Book? *sigh*
    Yes, all e-books. We have to convince the higher-ups at Decipher that it's worth going back to print; the only way to do this is with decent e-book sales.
    I can only hope they organize the Base books better *grumble*
    Well, I thought the Narrator's Guide was a paragon of organization. The Player's Guide, on the other hand....

At this point, we're not going to be able to reorganize the books because we're wanting to keep things as close to the original print versions as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    I am curious weirdly enough if the updates added are added will introduce not just Enterprise, but Nemesis as well from Starships, Tech and Races.
    No Nemesis updates in the PG, but then there's not really a need for it there, I think. Most of the stuff regarding the films was barely acknowledged in the PG to start with, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Enterprise stuff is being added because of the philosophy about having all the major races from the series as initial player options, and to complete the basic history of each series. Some similar tweaking will likely take place in the NG, but we're not there yet, so....

Nemesis will likely be addressed in more detail in the TNG sourcebook. In the meantime, the Remans and some of the silly tech will probably be addressed as downloads on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Yes, all e-books. We have to convince the higher-ups at Decipher that it's worth going back to print; the only way to do this is with decent e-book sales.
    Any idea what the target numbers would be? I would love to see future books, but I can't justify the costs that have been demonstrated so far for the e-books.

Thanks for the info.
    -=/\=-
    CaptCStark

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCStark
    Any idea what the target numbers would be? I would love to see future books, but I can't justify the costs that have been demonstrated so far for the e-books.

Thanks for the info.
    No idea whatsoever, I'm afraid. I don't work for Decipher in any official capacity, and don't have any sort of access to their marketing guys. All I know is that Kieran is happy with sales so far, and Scott seems happy as well.

The PDF/print book situation is a catch-22.

Decipher now wants to use PDF sales as an indicator to print new books. Their original print sales apparently weren't enough to justify printing new books. So they decide to release PDFs as indicators ...

*scratches head*

Whom do they think is going to be buying these PDFs? That mysterious cadre of Star Trek gamers who never bought the CODA print books, don't exclusively play ICON or FASA Trek, who just stumble along to the website one day and go: "Lordie, I never knew there was a Star Trek roleplaying game! Wow, gotta get those e-books!"

Nope. It's Coda die-hard fans who will buy them. The same fans who didn't buy enough to keep the books in print. Apparently. Unless the sales expectations have shrunk to microscopic levels, there won't be any print books any time soon.

I won't be buying PDFs. Not until the selling price drops to single-digit dollars.

Sorry guys, Patrick in particular who started this thread. Woke up grumpy. Had to rant. This whole frelling situation pisses me off. Love this game, hate what's been done by Decipher. Too little too late now these PDFs.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

It has to be said too, that if there is the slightest snifter of these being released to print I would ALWAYS buy them as a preference. I hate E-books, they are so expensive tp print *eyes Mirror source book with black pages*

I have to agre with LQ, yes they will likelly only be selling to existing customers who really wanted the PRINT books, but have to accept this instead! I think they just need to be more realistic about their profit, and recognise there IS a profit, it's just not gazilions, and maybe they will go back to print!
    Ta Muchly

Someone will always find something to gripe about.

Am I happy that they're PDF, no, not really. I do prefer books. After waiting so many years though I'd rather get something then nothing, and if it's PDF so be it.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshuro
    Someone will always find something to gripe about.
    Not a gripe. A rant. I haven't continually complained. There's a difference.

LQ