Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCC-1000 Stts (FASA STCS)

Sounds good. I'd like to hear about what playtesting brings out.

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    I playtested it against a D-4 from FAS A. It did some damage, but was destroyed.

More playtesting is needed...
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteo
    Blocky piece s of crap, not ships that resembl e TMP ships with
    phaser-like beam weapons and photon torpedoes with a different name.

Those are the REAL Pre-tos ships...
    Who wants to watch a show about blocky pieces of crap?

the TOS enterprise isn't a flying lump of shit, man. It looks good. I'm not surprised that the designers on ENT decided that the ship shouldn't look like it was done in MSpaint.

>Who wants to watch a show about blocky pieces of crap?

I do.

>the TOS enterprise isn't a flying lump of shit, man. It looks good. I'm not surprised >that the designers on ENT decided that the ship shouldn't look like it was done in >MSpaint

It just has to look primitive compared to the Con, and it doesn't except in a few
    ways. And I didn't mean that the TOS Ent was a lump, I said that the pre-TOS
    ships should look and act even more primitive than it, much more so in the 2150s.

Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

It's the same thing as a sailing ship, compared to a World War I era ship, compared to a Modern warship.

Just because a sailing ship doen't have a range of 120+ nautical miles (or more) on some of its weapons, doesn't mean the stories feauring the crews on them can't be dramatic.

All of them are a part of history.

Pre-TOS era stories (or any era, really) are just as exciting/dramatic for me, because it is about the people, the decisions, the challenges they face.

If all they have is warp 4, it's all they have, and the Orion Arm is there for the exploring, one planetary system at a time, when they had no idea just exactly WHAT was out there.

Just as in the early original series pilot shows, the hand weapons carried are less sleek, more bulky.

The ships should appear de-evolved for the period, working back from Enterprise-D, to the original series ship, to... something less advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteo
    It just has to look primitive compared to the Con, and it doesn't except in a few
    ways. And I didn't mean that the TOS Ent was a lump, I said that the pre-TOS
    ships should look and act even more primitive than it, much more so in the 2150s.
    So what would a more primitive version look like? What signifiers of primitive-ness would it have?

Well, since the TOS Enterprise used analog counters in its display, obviously a more "primitive" starship would have a frickin' ABACUS as the ship's chronometer.

And since the TOS enterprise used big switches and buttons on its control surfaces, clearly a more primitive starship would use great big pull-levers to change course and direction.

Never mind that technology has ALREADY eclipsed TOS appearances in those areas. CONTINUITY IS GOD! *fap fap fap*

OR, just maybe, the TOS Enterprise's look is SOLELY a function of the production values and technical understanding of the 1960's.

First "do I have issues, or what?" of Two
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...s/daedalus.jpg

This is a canon pre-tos ship, seen in DS9 as a model: The Daedalus Class.

It looks flimsy, but indeed more primitive than the Constitution.

The Neck could be enlarged somewhat, made to look less fragile for Pre-TOS designs, if you think that it's ridiculously weak looking. That's a weak point that
    I've noticed.

>Well, since the TOS Enterprise used analog counters in its display, obviously a >more "primitive" starship would have a frickin' ABACUS as the ship's >chronometer.

No, not necessarily.

>And since the TOS enterprise used big switches and buttons on its control >surfaces, clearly a more primitive starship would use great big pull-levers to >change course and direction.

It's not the lever's size that matters

>Never mind that technology has ALREADY eclipsed TOS appearances in those >areas. CONTINUITY IS GOD! *fap fap fap*

Life's life, Trek's trek. There's no point in connecting the two.

>OR, just maybe, the TOS Enterprise's look is SOLELY a function of the production >values and technical understanding of the 1960's.

True. Doesn't mean that every new 22nd or 23rd cen. de sign has to look
    like some cgi toy becau se the budget's better.

>First "do I have issues, or what?" of Two

Perhaps some posters forget the fall of the Roman Empire. How much technology was lost?

Let's suppose in the Star Trek universe, there was a Nuclear War, would technology not fall back somewhat?

Oh, pardon me, That's a Canon aspect of the Star Trek (TM) Universe, since day one.

MODERN NAVY SHIPS have levers and switches.

They also got this thing, it's a piece of steel, one side magnetized, it swings around to tell direction. how many hundreds of years old technology is that.

Oh, let's not talk about ROPE, and TWINE, eh? Still used.

Let's see. People in Star Trek wear BOOTS, what of that?

I mean, hasn't technology changed to something better in a half a millenium?

"Not point in..."

What? Are you serious?

I'd like to see what would have come before. With continuity, thank you.

Nowhere in trek history was Florida smoked. Until Enterprise. For good reasons of continuity. Sadly, they threw it out the window.
    Last edited by LUGTrekGM; 05-02-2006 at 12:53 AM.

OR, just maybe, the TOS Enterprise's look is SOLELY a function of the production values and technical understanding of the 1960's.
    Yeah, looks exactly like a Saturn V to me.

And we all saw the Environmental suits that the crews wore, looked exactly like cutting edge NASA Technology.

And wow, while we are at it, since it has to look like current tech, how come Kirk and Spock don't crap into thier suit in a bag, and drink TANG (TM) All day?

Yeah the Apollo mission that got wrecked because a LOX tank exploded, right? Gee, They had to call up the Earth to solve it. What did they use? Duct tape and cardboard as a workaround to fix the CO2 scrub system.

Yeah, let me find my almanac of real-life cutting edge space technology, so that we can see it in Star Trek.

A piece of foam kills the space shuttle. Real world.

I don't really think I want to see the Post Dominion war Trek series, as some here would have it.

A piece of foam kills the whole ship, and the entire crew dies, burned alive at thousands of degrees.

We find out that Starfleet knew about it, but decided it wasn't an issue. Yeah, bring on the real world, and all of it's cutting edge technology that is so advanced, so we can make star trek real.

*shakes head in disbelief*

What happened to the sense of wonder, and enjoyment?
    Last edited by LUGTrekGM; 05-02-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Ponder, what can they do with a new Star Trek to make Transporters more advanced?

What replaces Quantum Torpedoes, and Tri-cobalt? Yeah, Star Trek:4000 AD. I can see it...

Quintocobalt teleporting mines and well, while we are at it, Psionic mind control weapons, because Vulcans all along were just the fifth column inside the Federation, and since the Vulcan mind lords have returned, it's a Vomulan controlled universe. I mean, since we don't need any continuity...

Let's get some Jedi with lightsabers in there, too, while we are at it. I mean, it's all good, right?

New and improved is not always better.

Continuity should be respected, because Star Trek is not The Butterfly Effect.
    Last edited by LUGTrekGM; 05-02-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    Psionic mind control weapons, because Vulcans all along were just the fifth column inside the Federation, and since the Vulcan mind lords have returned, it's a Vomulan controlled universe.
    What, you don't think someone could do something with stories about the effects of a hyperrational regime on society? Or, to go the PKD-angle, one in which the police are inside your own head?

Well, a Vomulan controlled alternate timeline might be a really cool experience.

Not really good for a prequel, in any case.

I, as well as the majority of people posting here, realize that there are a thousand stories in the Naked Now. Sure.

But a ship 150 years pre next gen should not look like it's cousin.