Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New ENTERPRISE Rumour (Spoiler Warning)

You know your right...opps tripped over my opinion of the show again.

My argument is that it seems, to me anyway, they have not thought this thru. From what I have heard they basically started work on the show a few months ago, like "Oh, Voyager ends this season. We another show quick to keep the money rolling in." I think if they left it for about a year or so it probably would be a good series allowed themselves to come with some really good ideas and flesh them out over time, but they have rushed it through the creative process and it will suffer for it.

I personally think the idea could be very interesting, showing first contact for alot of the canon races and expanding on canon "historical events". As I have said above I would like to see a really in-deapth look at the Romulan War (I realize a little out of the scope of the new series, but only by 20 years, plausible.) But I have lost faith in Braga and his cohorts, they no longer believe.

So, yes I probably will not like the show. {shrugs} I said long ago that I probably will not watch, if I am wrong and it turns out to be the series of the decade (HA!) then so be it. I will admit that I am wrong (based on my own opinion of course )

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I don't call expressing the view of wanting to see a excellent quality show, as opposed to the slap-dash that "Enterprise" seems to be turning out to be, whining. Let's face it there is alot of crap on tv lately, I don't want what could be the last of the Trek franchise to go down in that category. I want to see a blaze of glory...and that takes planning. Planning I don't believe has been done in this case.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Thumbs down

Well, if you think blowing canon into oblivion is fun, you'll absolutely love these early reports on what the new Enterprise looks like.

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...993756013.html

I guess the Akira was based of an earlier Federation design, eh?

Take it for what you will.

------------------

The sign sucks.

Real Big Time.

The franchise is doomed.

All hands, abandon ship.

Yep, ENTERPRISE is definitely going to be prime Bernard Matthews material.

------------------
    Kid Mama-san, what do they call that thing they shoot the cats out of?
    Mama-san I'm not sure, but I think they call it a catapult.
    Kid Boy, I'm glad I didn't have to say that line...

Samurai Pizza Cats

Okay, updat from Paramount and the Startrek.com website. Here is the Crew:

Following on from our announcement of the cast of Enterprise, the new Star Trek
    show, we can now reveal who the actors will be playing.

As previously announced (click here for story) Scott Bakula will be leading the
    crew of the twenty-second century Enterprise as Captain Jonathan Archer.Rounding out his new crew will be John Billingsley as Dr.Phlox, the ship's medical officer, Jolene Blalock as the Vulcan first officer T'Pol, Dominic Keating as weapons man Malcolm Reed, Anthony Montgomery as the navigator Travis Mayweather, Linda Park as communications officer Hoshi Sato and Connor Trinneer as the engineer Charlie Tucker.

More will be made available as Paramount releases, no word yet on what type of vessel it is going to be.

------------------
    Jonathan Talbot.
    Medical Officer

I am going to sound like Plato. Part of the problem with our whole dialogue here is that we don't know what "good" means. That is: what is a "good" TV show? What is "good" Star Trek? What is "good" science fiction?

These are not all the same. More of a problem, the definitions of the average fan, of the hardcore fan, and of the average TV viewer or executive are not the same.

So, maybe to clarify some things, at least if everyone were to somehow magically accept my opinion:

A good TV show is just interesting and exciting, with decent plot lines, and believable, sympathetic characters. NYPD Blue is often an example of good TV. Enterprise may or may not turn out to be good TV. Note that Brannon, Braga, et al. are really interested in doing good TV, but not necessarily in doing anything else. This is part of the rift between them and the fans.

Good Star Trek has all of the elements of good TV, but also has more interesting and challenging ideas, and a hopeful perspective on the future. In adition, it is compatible with the established "canon" background, so that those who have watched the show since they were children can come away with the feeling of a consistant fictional universe. Note that not all "canon" Star Trek, nor even all TOS, is good Star Trek, as witness "Spock's Brain". Enterprise may yet turn to be, or produce, good Star Trek, but the signs are not at all hopeful.

Then there is good science fiction. Good science fiction has all of the elements of good TV. In addition, it is either highly plausible, or presented in such a way as to make the implausible seem plausible, as is done by much good fantasy. Even more important than plausability, however, is that good science fiction presents really new, interesting, or challenging ideas in a way which stimulates the minds of the audience. Note that Star Trek, with a very few exceptions, on an episode by episode basis, has almost NEVER been good science fiction. There is no reason to assume that Enterprise, or any other TV show, will turn out differently.

So, why bother with Star Trek at all? For me, it is really just a habit established back in my youngest years. I like Star Trek, especially TOS, but I have few illusions about it. It is, and always has been, mostly dreck, with a few really shining artistic moments. In the end, it is living proof that Roddenberry was wrong, and that TV simply cannot support good SF over the long run.

Still, I am glad that Roddenberry tried, because some of the results were, and are worth the rest of the crap that has been called Star Trek over the years. In this way, Star Trek is rather like life: a vast amount of mediocrity is redeemed by a few moments of shining excellence.

Much of the problem that those of us who are 30-year-long Star Trek fans have with Enterprise would appear to come from the attitude of Brannon and Braga toward established canon and long-held fannish ideas, which is to say that they ignore both. The solution for us may consist on some or all of the following:

1. Don't take it seriously. As Norman Mailer may or may not have said: it's just a fuggin' TV show.

2. To heck with canon. If Paramount and the producers don't care, why should I? If Star Trek is taken as a whole, including ALL of the novels, games, fanfics, and so on, it is as wonderfully varied, rich, and self-contradictory as Greek mythology. It offers a wealth of inspiration for the writer or gamer, and some of the best inspiration is officially denied by Paramount. Why limit oneself to what has appeared on the screen, when some of that is so bad?

3. Create your own Star Trek universe out of all the resources available. Each one will be different depending on the fan, but so what? It IS fiction, after all. From now on, my own Star Trek ideas will include what I like, wherever it comes from, and will exclude crap, canon or not. This means that to me, the events of "Spock's Brain", "Star Trek V", "The Way to Eden", and the entirety of "Voyager" are non-canon, no matter what Paramount says.

There, rant over. Now, I can back to something useful, like picking my nose.

------------------
    Slan agat!

[This message has been edited by Aedh Rua (edited 07-02-2001).]

I like your assesments of the "average fan" and "sci-fi" TV, and I do agree with you on those points.

Points 1,2 and 3 above work well for narrators of the game, but I think if they are going to put forth the effort to do another "Star Trek" show then they should fallow what has been put down before. Now, I'm not being being as ridgid as not say change some things for the sake of a good story, but don't make major changes to the established universe. If I wanted that then I would go and read one of the ST novels, all of which fall into your bad Sci-fi section.

All I'm saying is that the fallowing equation, Braga, et al + the limited amount of time that has been put into this idea= Not only "bad tv", but "bad" Trek.

Oh, well there still is SG-1, "good tv" and "excellant Sci-fi".

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Arrow

Well, it seems my fear is a bit allayed when TrekWeb.com did a comparision between the Enterprise logo uniform patch to the top view of the Akira to show some subtle differences.

Also, they reported that the nacelles will be positioned higher than the saucer itself, which is unlike the Akira whose nacelles are positioned lower than the main hull. This general design concept almost resembles the Ranger-class(?) starship featured in LUG's Star Trek (TOS) RPG.

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...994030763.html

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 07-02-2001).]

I was hoping for something more resembling the Daedelus-class. Just for something different.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Arrow

Like the Friendship One probe that appeared in VOY? Only bigger and remodeled as a manned spacecraft?

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    Like the Friendship One probe that appeared in VOY? Only bigger and remodeled as a manned spacecraft?

</font>
    Yeah, that could work. IIRC the no secondary hull design was a "contemporary" design on the TOS era, up until then it was the standard 2 hull configuration. The new design just seems to be too quick a design jump from the "archaic" Daedalus-class to the more familiar SF designs. It just doesn't look "old" enough.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jonathan Talbot:
    Okay folks, let us lay Rumors to rest the STartrek.com Website is where you need to go to get Info on anything Trek it is straight from Paramount. According to this, It is One Hundred years before Kirk and Spock's Time.
    ENterprise is the vessel of choice. There will be Humans and Vulcans and maybe some other aliens as yet un-named.

There is no Zephram Cocharane, no Klingons as yet, and we don't know anything as to any new bad guys.

He is only going to appear in a prerecorded message where he gives a speech about mans exploration of space....be assured Cocharane is already dead by that time.

It deals with the founding of The Federationa nd of StarFleet, Now if they decide to keep to Cannon then the first real bad guys they will encounter would be the Romulans(The Faceless enemy). But as the Programs and movies have often shown they go diffrent directions from any Gaming Material.

</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    Well, it seems my fear is a bit allayed when TrekWeb.com did a comparision between the Enterprise logo uniform patch to the top view of the Akira to show some subtle differences.

Also, they reported that the nacelles will be positioned higher than the saucer itself, which is unlike the Akira whose nacelles are positioned lower than the main hull. This general design concept almost resembles the Ranger-class(?) starship featured in LUG's Star Trek (TOS) RPG.

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...994030763.html

</font>
    Sounds "Norwegian" to me.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Wink

I still say Cochrane should be played by Cochrane.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

AslanC Guest

Trekweb is saying that Hulk Hogan is going to have a reoccuring role...Gawd please let this be a joke...please....

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    RPG_Trek; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rpg-trek
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.