Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New ENTERPRISE Rumour (Spoiler Warning)

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0244365

Follow this link, it takes you to more info on ST:Enterprise

------------------
    "Your job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -Patton

"Like my father said, never start a fight, but always be sure to finish it."

-CAPT Sheridon, B5

"Know you enemy and know yourself and you will be victorious."

-CMDR Riker quoting The Art of War

Thumbs down

Oh that is Stupid! That's the first thing I've seen about Enterprise that stretches canon. There's no way they'd have had a ship like that in the 22nd century. I'd say Daedalus was the first ship that even remotely resempled the standard primary/ secondary hull design. I thought they should simply make this the SS Enterprise shown on TMP.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Wink

I'm happy to see the individual who first broke the new images of the Enterprise (the zero-th ship to bear the name?) be vindicated. The Internet declared him a fraud and whatnot for simply taking a picture of an effects trailer and sharing it. Oooh, how evil. (Everyone should be forced to apologize to him.)

Next, after TV Guide shutting down websites that carry an image of the new ship from the latest issue I’m happy to say that I won’t be buying TV Guide again any time soon.

Finally, regarding the ship itself…

Hahahahah!

I suppose Mr. Talbot is going to tell us not to trust those images until they appear on startrek.com now?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 07-08-2001).]

Thumbs down

Chuck out http://section31.com they have a link to a German site that still has part of the TV Guide article that will be out tomarrow and the ship. Akira all over again, or before. They could have been more original. My question is if they, Earth, was using this design way back why did they deviate and go the 1701 design only to return to this design 200 years later? I still think it will be a very good series. Qapla'

Of course, (quoting canon, heaven forbid) canon states that there were four "official" Starfleet (hmmmm, even in Kirk's time some folks were calling it Spacefleet) Enterprise vessels.

The space shuttle.
    that ring looking thing.
    i believe there was a dy-100
    and then a "traditional" starfleet primary/secondary hull ship.

these can be seen on ST:TMP and in Picard's ready room.

------------------
    I see stupid people. They're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know that they're dumb.
    -Oath of Dell Tech Support

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trinity Zeldis:

The space shuttle.
    that ring looking thing.
    and then a "traditional" starfleet primary/secondary hull ship.
    </font>
    Concerning the USS Enterprise

OK, the Space Shuttle. Can arguably be discounted as a Spaceship as it has never left the atmosphere. It was the test version. Rumour has it that the letter writing campaign that had thge first shuttle named Enterprise rrewmoved that name from the first shuttle into orbit.

That ring thing. Yep. Its there, and in the old spaceflight chronology. Look behind Kirk in the crew hall during the Motion Picture.

The DY-100. That Never existed, the DY-100 were in service at the same time as the Shuttle, but has never been shown in a ready room or in the crew meeting.

Then the Primary and Secondary NCC-1701. Yep we all know this and her decsendants.

The other Enterprise that appears regularly is the Navy Aircraft Carrier.

So the list is somewhat shorter, but apparently growing all the time.

Looks like this whole deal is going to suck goats! Big Time!

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trinity Zeldis:
    that ring looking thing.
    these can be seen on ST:TMP and in Picard's ready room.

</font>
    Acording to Spaceflight Chronology (and later FASA, but that's another question) that thing was a spaceliner of late 22nd century.
    But I think that i have read somewhere that Roddenberry said that the SS Enterprise was a sublight ship that was launched to Alfa Centauri on the 2030'

Guys,

I've come to the conclusion that there is a reason why they didn't put Star Trek in front of the Enterprise on the show header.

It's not Star Trek. It's not the same universe, it's not the same Canon, it's not the same anything.

They're starting over, creating a new universe, based on, but not related to the old one.

Think of the shift to Enterprise after Voyager as an exact correlary to the relaunch of the DC Universe line after the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Same name, similar powers, different details. That's Enterprise.

Alex

Couple of comments...

1] Regarding canon. So far, they have not violated anything canonical in any major way (with the possible but as yet unconfirmed timing of the Cochrane recording). Klingon first contact is not canonically in 2218. In fact, canonically, it's never been established. Klingon appearance has already been canonically established as being ridge-headed even prior to TOS (ref. Kahless). Starfleet as a term for the exploratory agency pre-UFP? Unorthodox, but not contra-canon. It could be the Terran Starfleet, as opposed to the Federation Starfleet. No issue.

When they really screw something up, I'll complain They haven't...yet.

2] The Enterprise: I've seen about three shots of her so far, and the more I ake out details, the less Akira-like she seems. So she shares a similar overall shape. So what? The same basic design concepts for Federation ships do seem to be consistent over long periods of time in Trek's world: Daedalus --> Constitution --> Excelsior --> Ambassador --> Galaxy --> Sovereign, for example. Daedalus --> Olympic, as another, more direct similarity across 2 centuries. Avenger/Miranda --> Nebula, for another example. Whyever *couldn't* the Akira have a precursor in the S.S. Enterprise?

This seems to be honking some folks off, but not me.

So far, while I'm sure we're going to have some patented Braga dropping of the continuity-ball somewhere along the line, I'm still pretty darn psyched by what I've read about this show. In fact, I'm more psyched for "Enterprise", even just based on its premise, than I've been for any Trek TV show or movie in ten years.

So, we'll see. Will it be good? I'll get back to y'all after the pilot and first few regular episodes air.

Best,
    Alex

I've come to believe the show might be really good even with a few vital flaws, but now I'm hoping Braxton is responsible for the alternate timeline. Maybe he gave UESPA 24th century technology. I really hope they have some explanation for the alternateness. As for surprising us with a ship in the past similar to a ship in the present, I guess it could be excusable and a plausible form of humor.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Arrow

As to Cannon: I would suggest everybody read the Article in Star Trek Magizine this month on what to expext. While it is less speculive than most it does a damn good job of reviewing what has been Established so far.

As to the new Ship I still think having only seen one view it bears to much resemblance to Akira, sorry Alex but there looks to be very little original in it. Of course I don't falt the basic design after all even LUG used the basic design for a couple of good ships spread out in the 24th Century. It just it is so obviously backdated.

They haven't broken canon? What about the fact that in TOS it was said that the Consitution-class Enterprise was the first Starship to bear the name.

Ok, yeah it doesn't look like the Akira, it also dosen't look anything like the Daedalus-class which was top of the line in ENTERPRISE's era, they have jumped about one full design generation.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Cool

I think that according to good rumors they will break canon by contacting Klingons in 2151 and not 2218. I consider Star Trek Encyclopedia by Okuda and Okuda as cannon. This is based on everything Star Trek in film or on TV. It states Klingons were first encountered in 2218 based on day of the dove episode of TOS. However I think this is minor. I think that the Enterprise is a precusor to the Akira class starship is minor. I think this series will be great and only time will tell. Everyone do yourself a favor and speculate and debate all you want be make sure you watch the debute of this series. And NO I don't work for Paramount. I just like good sci fi. Quapla'

Good Sci-fi is one thing, good Trek is whole other ball game. It maybe good Sci-fi, but if it is not good trek what is the point?

Anyway, does anyone know when this possible travesty is "SUPPOSED" to air. I shall of course hold my breath...at least until I pass out, which will probably be a better way to spend my time then watching the pilot, but hey, I'm a glutton for punishment.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KlingonZ:
    I consider Star Trek Encyclopedia by Okuda and Okuda as cannon. This is based on everything Star Trek in film or on TV. </font>
    Well, I don't consider that overprized piece of shit as canon (a cannon is an artillery gun).