Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New ENTERPRISE Rumour (Spoiler Warning)

Arrow

Well, touch screen technology isn't new. Of course, if they used Okuda's LCARS design (suitable for the 24th century) then it will be blatant violation of consistency.

Like I said, they have to balance with our real-world modern tech and progress from their up to the mid-22nd century. So you'll have to imagine a communicator evolved from the modern cell phone or Nextel, and an evolved form of DVD-ROM for data storage.

And they will have to take creative license to make this appealing to today's audience both old generations and new.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

If its mentioned on screen or shown, that generally denotes canon.

Sometimes that isn't true, since Star Trek V and Star Trek: the Animated Series are not concidered canon for various reasons.

Other sources are generally concidered canon in a source-by-source basis. I have heard that Jeri Ryans Janeway novels are concidered canon.

Okudas stuff is often conjectural, based on canon information with his own ideas and best guesses thrown in. Its not guarenteed canon bit the often seems that the Chronology and Encyclopedia are used as a guide by Trek writers as many of its conjectural dates and items end up on the big/small screen and thus be canonized (one of the best examples is the date for the founding of the Federation which was first conjectured in the Chronology and then canonized in a TNG episode AFRAIK).

But generally if you see it on the screen thats canon. Don't necessarily trust anything else.

Arrow

<font color="orange">I have heard that Jeri Ryans Janeway novels are concidered canon.</font>

Hehehe. I cannot believe I am still repeating this.

Jeri Taylor's Janeway novels and any novels regarding the origins of the Voyager crew are not considered canon. Only the elements from that novel that have appeared on screen (like her father, Admiral Janeway, and how he died) are considered canon. It's not proof positive that the entire novel is canon.

------------------

How did Capt. Janeway's father, the Admiral, die? I never heard the story.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Wink

uhh, old age?

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Smile

Thanks Prophetsteve for explaining canon. You cleared up much, but why is Star Trek V not considered canon?

Arrow

<font color="orange">How did Capt. Janeway's father, the Admiral, die?</font>

He was a victim of accidental drowning on Tau Ceti Prime. (VOY, "Coda")

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    uhh, old age?

</font>
    Something as mundane as that? I thought SF officers were supposed to go out in a blaze of glory. Didn't think "a straw death" was in the SF manual. What with all the exploding consoles of doom, and all.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!