Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale IV

Fun with Greyscale IV

Returning from the holidays!!!

USS Lenthal Class Destroyer

Apparently, I needed to start the year off by being reminded how bad FASA can be with things. It wasn't enough that the saucer and engines weren't to scale with anything, but , of course, the lines in the three views didn't match up, and the 'upper curve' was nonsensical.

Best I could do, considering...

USS Babcock Class Frigate

Same vein as the Lenthal, and it's obvious not a lot of thought was used here either. The big art change is that the artist originally forgot an entire mid-section of the ship in the fore view... making for a dramatically different profile. Again, this is WITH the smaller saucer and warp engines...

USS Alert Class Perimeter Action Vessel

From Starship Modeller, by request...

Nice work on the Lenthal and the Babcock. Neither was a particular favorite design, but they look a little better than they did. My biggest beef with the FASA ships wasn't that the drawings didn't match each other...honestly, I probably never would have noticed that if it weren't for you mentioning it. My problem was that most of the designs were just butt-ugly to start with. These two, as far as I'm concerned, are two cases in point.

The Alert...I think I'm just gonna pass on judging that one.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

USS Oberth Class Science Vessel

Let me start off by saying that I hate this ship, from its slapped-together arrangement, to the scaling issues, to its overuse in TNG... There is nothing about this ship I liked, and I'm hoping more Klingons blow the shit out of these as much as possible. I did this just to be complete...

Oddly enough, this ship doesn't appear in FASA's recognition manuals, but does appear with wildly different abilities in the ST3 update and the TNG manuals. Of course, usual art problems apply, but it's hard to blame FASA for this one, since Paramount's images are all over the place on this ship as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    USS Alert Class Perimeter Action Vessel

From Starship Modeller, by request...

I'm divided on whether i actually like this one... maybe if it wasn't so flat on the bottom, and less awkward-looking nacelle struts. Hmm.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    ...Let me start off by saying that I hate this ship, from its slapped-together arrangement, to the scaling issues, to its overuse in TNG... There is nothing about this ship I liked, and I'm hoping more Klingons blow the shit out of these as much as possible. I did this just to be complete...
    Am I the only person that accually likes the idea of the Oberth?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Nope I've always like the quirky looking ship.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

The idea? No; I like the idea of a science vessel. The execution? Quite possibly; it flew in the face of all the design ideas regarding warp drive, etc., that had been around before it by mounting the warp nacelles on the saucer section. It's ugly and stupid, in my not-necessarily-humble opinion.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Man, are those FASA designs some ugly crap. Nice job making them look somewhat worthwhile.

The alert looks a little... stunted i guess. "We got half a saucer, some leftover parts, and some nacelles, let's make a starship."

Oberth, nice job on the little POS.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    The idea? No; I like the idea of a science vessel. The execution? Quite possibly; it flew in the face of all the design ideas regarding warp drive, etc., that had been around before it by mounting the warp nacelles on the saucer section. It's ugly and stupid, in my not-necessarily-humble opinion.
    Ditto from me. Great idea, poor execution.

Alex

Federation Battlestation

This is from SFB, and one of those things that's been sitting in my 'in' box for ages. After drawing it, I realized that this is basically a misdrawn 'K-7' type of starbase, largely notable by the main 'buldge' hulls. It looks a little silly from the sides, because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Man, are those FASA designs some ugly crap. Nice job making them look somewhat worthwhile.
    Appreciate the comments. The FASA stuff is really getting frustrating to me of late.

The alert looks a little... stunted i guess. "We got half a saucer, some leftover parts, and some nacelles, let's make a starship."
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the saucer is so 'incomplete'... really looks like there should be SOMETHING down there. And why cut the forward hull down if you're not putting something there to warrant it? Oh well...

Oberth, nice job on the little POS.
    Thanks. And now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

USS Pompey

Pretty simple. This is Aridas Sophia's update to the Saladin class, fixing the 'one naccell' engine, made somewhat 'famous' by its inclusion on the Federation Recognition Chart.

I think it looks awesome.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry