Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Fellas...and Gals!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by First of Two:
    Now, if only those maps were about 1 20th the size, so I could print them out on a normal-sized printer...</font>
    I'll see what I can do! Maybe a screen capture?

Will be doing different scales (ie closer/detailed maps)

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Well he's one I did early, I sent to alot of peole but might as well post it too.

About 100ly worth of sectors arounf SOL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fedsiz...s/Sectors1.JPG

------------------
    SIRSIG

Talking

Another day, another update!

Plugged in 10 or so more stars, added some political boundaries that are a little more 'neater' .

To the 'south-south east, some interesting things are happening.

The 19000 odd sector is where the Argus array is, (beyound fed space but 1/2 ly from carddie). I'm thinking I might need to adjust this and say put it out 'west' with the rest of the 21000's carddie sectors.

That way I can limit the feds progress to the south, slot in Tholians, Gorn and the Betreka nebula as well.

Then the odd fed ship goes through or over these areas to explore 'beyond' like Mintaka and Talarian space (out South East, it may need to be moved as well).

So what say you now?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fedsiz...6political.JPG

------------------
    SIRSIG

Question

Way cool SirSig! I have two questions:

1) You have Bajor within the CardUnion; does this map represent the pre- or post- CardUnion occupation? (Before you had Bajor outside the CardUnion.)

2) Is there any set rules on numbering the sectors? I see Sol is in Sector-001; to the east is Sector-004. To the South-east (to my surpries) was not Sector-003, but 005.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait for you to finish!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redwood973:
    Way cool SirSig! I have two questions:

1) You have Bajor within the CardUnion; does this map represent the pre- or post- CardUnion occupation? (Before you had Bajor outside the CardUnion.)

2) Is there any set rules on numbering the sectors? I see Sol is in Sector-001; to the east is Sector-004. To the South-east (to my surpries) was not Sector-003, but 005.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait for you to finish!
    </font>
    1) Its a bit earlier for DW stuff. The lines are very rough, its not like Im trying to be perfectly accurate at this stage

Though their will be a DW map based around what was on DS9 with some embellishment on my part with some good interpretations

2)Sectors start with 001 (Sol in the lower right corners) then goes up one to 002 then clockwise

eg.

010:011:012:013
    009:002:003:014
    008:001:004:015
    007:006:005:016
    020:019:018:017

etc...

------------------
    SIRSIG

Plus i'm only naming sectors if their mentioned in the shows or a important real/trek star resides there and I then work out its sector number by this arrangement I worked out.

------------------
    SIRSIG

AslanC Guest

If these questions have already been asked and answered I will understand and apologize;

1] Why do the Cardassian's have so much territory? I was always under the impression they were not as large as the Klingons or Romulans, but had a very large industrial/military complexe which allowed them to be a bigger player than they really were.

2] Why are the Cardassians closer to the centre of the Federation than the Klingons? Wouldn't it be more likely that they shoulod be further away given the contact et al?

Again these are just questions tat came to me as I looked over the latest map. Otherwise I think it is a great job, keep up the good work dude!

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Star Trek:Strange New Worlds;
    http://www.geocities.com/aslan_collas/
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

I think I answered Aslan's questions enough over at #lugtrek. But I'll rehash and a few more notes.

The main reason carddie space is so big is due to the sector references.

Now these sector references are spread out from the 'core territory' we see in the DS9 Maps. 3 of the 4 are relatively close together, so i'm thinking I might move the 4th ref to a more logical spot thus reducing the carddies overall size and also shuts out alot of fed space 'to the south'.

So carddie space will still be large, but their 'core territory' will still match what was seen on screen. The rest will be a loosely patroled area mainly for strip mining and a few outposts ala 'the wounded'.

And the Dominion, when they turn up just focus on the core worlds. The maps (ds9 battle) do stop at the bottom so you don't actually see all of carddie space. So there are openings to this 'greater space'.

While my ref to sector 507 isn't full proof a number of other tidbits do reinforce this general area for Cardassia/Bajor. So i'll stick with 507 and thus the sector arrangement make s Bajor-Earth around 330 ly.

Plus the size of the main powers are loosely drawn. At the moment I've got no idea how far the Romulans or Klingons space extends out the back of their federation side borders.

While both Cardassian and Federation space is more defined, especially Federation.

Well thanks, chaps. More comments please

------------------
    SIRSIG

Looks like a good start. Nice way to try to find consistency in the seemingly random sector designations given in Star Trek...

Just stumbled across a screen capture at Star Trek Dimension - Briar Patch is Sector 441:
    http://www.stdimension.de/Cartograph...map_bpatch.jpg

Thanks Dan, both for the good words and the link.

I have this map already, but the one you provided is of a much higher resolution

I've now found a better spot for the Argus Array, just drop the first digit 19658 to 9658. And it stays in the same general area.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Well I feel a need for borders. It's easier than simply naming the affiliation of each world. I think that the space between systems should be assigned to the nearest systems or other presence. I don't think a rival government is going to claim the interstellar space without also claiming the systems, so whoever controls the systems may as well control the interstellar space.

Hugh, I know all about the 'swiss cheese' factor, in fact one of the earlier people to use it.

Plus it is a 2d map, and that kind of arrangement won't work right on my maps.

Most people do want borders, even if its just a dotted line to indicate roughly where all the powers lay.

Plotted some more stars but am hanging out for a decent RA/DEC to Gal cords formula.

Plus Romulus is in, around 100 ly from earth at a intial guess, maybe closer to 80.

Another few days and I'll chuck up the latest rendition

------------------
    SIRSIG

Hey Sig, I would guess that you're familiar with this site:
    http://www.projectrho.com/starmap.html
    It contains RADec/Cartesian conversion information. I never tried it personally because I'm sure it would give me a headache, so maybe you've tried it and it doesn't work. I'll feel stupid if I find out that you've never heard of this site and that I could have saved you a lot of trouble.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Hey Sig, I would guess that you're familiar with this site:
    http://www.projectrho.com/starmap.html
    It contains RADec/Cartesian conversion information.
    </font>
    If you read that formula you'll know why I want a script for it

------------------
    SIRSIG

Nice Work, Sig...

One thing, and it's only one man's opinion (and only opinion... we are dealing with fiction here, right? ).

I don't know that you need political bounderies. What I mean is, while the individual worlds may belong to one of the major powers (or be independent of them), THE SPACE BETWEEN THEM DOESN'T! In other words, what you have in space is a series of little bubbles (each system), separated be empty space that the powers can only hold if they have a presence there. Perhaps this was the original reason for the Deep Space Stations (like K-7)... to establish a presence where there was no world or system to provide one. In other words, rather that set up political lines, just show which power (if any) controls each world. Political "borders" should kind of show up on their own.

Just my two cents.

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"