Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LIKES and DISLIKES about Enterprise...

Post LIKES and DISLIKES about Enterprise...

Okay, I'll add my 2 cents here with what I like and don't like about what I have hearde about the series:

Time Period - I like the overall concept of the series, with the birth of the federation and the first ship to contact alien species.

The Crew - I expect that with Bakula on board every episode will start with a wacky situation which will end up with Archer saying "oh boy" just before the credits
    Seriously, the cast has promise. I hope the cast adds some TOS flavor banter and arguments lacking of late (Voyager had it in the beginning bit lost it)

DISLIKES
    Berman and Braga - get these hacks away from the francise now... geez with the way they mucked up Voyager (a series with such potential) they should be replaced by people who know what the francise needs and its fans want.

The Ship: While I didn't expect the goofy designs of pre-TOS, I expected something more in line with the era. I like Akira, just not in the 22nd Century.

Klingons - again, I didn't expect 100% TOS klingons (I would have settled for some B'hlanna ridges), but to just chuck movie/TNG era Klingons in this era (and well before the canon contact date) is lame.

The Sets - I sure hope it fits the era... the rumours are that not all the screens are touch-sensitive and that there are buttons. Note to set designers, pre-TOS was all buttons.

Phase Pistols - Note to continuity people - Watch the Cage or the Menagerie...pre-TOS used _lasers_ not phase-anything. I hope this rumor is unfounded.

Cochrane - oh boy, is't he supposed to have disappeared long before this timeframe.

Time-travel - Oooooh, the Suliban are manipulated by forces from the far future. Sigh. Would someone please tell the writers that timetravel (along with holodeck malfunctions) is far too overused. Pleeeease
    give use some originality...if there is anything left in the franchise.

The total disregard for TOS - I can see (in some way) why someone would want to wipe TOS out of the picture. Its hard to deal with the fact that the aliens looked (in todays eyes) goofy or plain, the sets and outfits were soooooo '60s or lowtech compared to the TNG era. However, for a franchise that parades its long history, publishes chronologies, and has a DS9 crossover in the TOS era, not to mention hunreds-of-thousands of fans who still think TOS Kirk rocks, they should at least try to keep to the TOS (and pre-TOS) continity intact...I don't see it in Enterprise...sorry

There are my beefs..so minor, some major. Believe me, this is the first series I have done this with. Both Voy. and DS9 I looked forward to (as I did with TNG). Its a shame that Berman and Braga have sunk so low...this had so much promise....

I have long wanted to see the 22nd Century onscreen.

Your crew comment: Oh Boy! Actually I'd thought of that myself. I also hope Archer will sing, since Bakula was in at least one opera when he was younger. It's Amahl and the Night Visitors, about the Three Kings of the New Testament.

I think Berman is unfortunately dictator for life.

DC Comics had a Time Crime saga in which Kirk's movie crew in an alternate universe including Worf's grandpa visited ancient Qo'Nos, where both varieties of Klingons lived side by side. A very good story, although I prefer the ridges as a tribble- induced allergic reaction.

I agree about buttons and lasers, but that could be temporal tampering.

Yes, it's true, I did disappear earlier in the century, which is why I was hoping the series was around that time. Maybe I showed up again before I showed up on TOS, but it wasn't recorded by history, somewhat like Kirk not reporting his encounter with me. Also, read the novel Federation.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Whoops! I meant to continue that.

I personally love time travel, but hasn't it been established that Kirk's enterprise was the first time the Federation encountered it?

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

I like timetravel too..but in Trek its now overdone. I guess its because the recent Voyager glut of (IMHO mostly poorly written or conceived) timetravel stories that has put me off...

My favorite VOY time travel show was Shattered. I also like Futures End and Relativity. Endgame I hate. The first Voy TT show was horrible too. I like how the shows like to use a different theory of time travel each time.

------------------

Thumbs down

Dislikes: Pretty much everything to do with the show.

I don’t like the concept. (Going backwards instead of forwards.)

I don’t like the era. (No Federation, no classic villains, trouncing on canon, primitive technology.)

I don’t like the characters. (None of the casting sheet descriptions appealed to me.)

I don’t like the actors. (Scott B. does nothing for me as Captain Beckett.)

I don’t like the images of the ship. (See above about trouncing on canon.)

In short, Enterprise is going to have to blow me away and work very hard to gain my viewership and/or support. Much like DS9 had to and eventually won me over around season five.

------------------

Angry

As if those damn ugly ships from ST:First Contact were not bad enough, they had to pick one of the damn things to be the pre-TOS Enterprise! Yes they added TOS style nacelles, but that does not make the ugly duck a swan!
    Find the designers of those damn ugly things (and the person who decided to use one as pre-TOS) and sting them up by their b***s! Oh for the days of the vigilante mob!

Arrow

<font color="red">As if those damn ugly ships from ST:First Contact were not bad enough,...</font>

It must be from your perspective. Personally, I like them. They are refreshingly, new design that takes a break from traditional configuration.

As for the show itself, they're going to be taking a lot of creative license. They're going to try to balance the real-world modern technology but not so much as to overstep the TOS-style technology of the 22nd Century, knowing that some of our current devices in use (e.g., cellphone/PCS, PDA, pagers, laptops, etc.) are based upon those fictional props in TOS.

In a way, I am interested in how our species ever got into deep space anyway. But deep down inside of me, I prefer Sulu & the Excelsior.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Thumbs up

Found something I do like about Enterprise:

http://www.section31.com/stories/june-2001/061401_a.htm

I'm guessing HD 16x9 formatting with DPL sound.

Now this could make me watch--if UPN (or whoever ends up carrying Enterprise) transmits on a HDTV feed.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redwood973:
    As if those damn ugly ships from ST:First Contact were not bad enough, they had to pick one of the damn things to be the pre-TOS Enterprise! Yes they added TOS style nacelles, but that does not make the ugly duck a swan!
    </font>
    I have to agree with REG. I welcome the new designs, varity is the spice of life after all. I was kinda gettin' a little board with stock design, though I am partial to the Norway and Steamrunner classes rather then the Akira. My all time remains the Intrepid-class...I just love that design.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:

I don’t like the characters. (None of the casting sheet descriptions appealed to me.)

I don’t like the actors. (Scott B. does nothing for me as Captain Beckett.)
    </font>
    I agree. The thing Should Move forward. And having a Spock/Seven lovechild fill the same vacancy as Spock to Archers 'Kirk' really blows the big one.

Its cool to see sexy talent on TV, but not particularly interesting.

The thing that REALLY gets me here, as a lost opportunity.

Archer is a carbon copy of Kirk (or probably the original due to the prequel thing), so there is no 'new ground' for them, simply the 'same old, same old'.

But we were due the first Alien Captain, after all look at the history.

We had Kirk. Then Picard hjad to break the Kirk mould. Then Sisko can along as a minority Captain, and Janeway (for all her faults) was the first female captain.

So by my figurig we are due an Alien in the big chair!

There is another lost opportunity.

Crossovers, aka official sanctification.

TOS had no availability of crossovers, but TNG had visits from McCoy, Sarek, Spock, Scotty and Kirk over the years. DS9. Kang, Kor and Koloth. Kirk, Spock and McCoy all from TOS. Even Quark and Bashier in the last 2 years.
    Worf and O'Brien left a permanent crossover, but visits from Riker, Picard added extra continuity (although the Enterprise should have attended Worfs wedding!!! ). Even Dr Zimmerman gave continuity for Voyager.
    And in Voyager, we have had Q, Sulu, Riker, Barclay, Troi... The list goes on..

But as a prequel, these 'cameo's' become contrived and major plot elements, as opposed to a smaller matter that brings the universe into a closer loop... At leat IMO...

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

And rumor has it that many of the Star Trek fan clubs (read ships) are boycotting the series outright. I will look for the article, but it was somewhere on the web.

(Now why can't I remember this stuff at 4:20 in the morning?)

------------------
    I see stupid people. They're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know that they're dumb.
    -Oath of Dell Tech Support

Smile

Scott Bakula. I personally think he has excellent potential to be a very likable Captain. I've always thought he would have been good for Star Trek. I look forward to his portrayal of Archer.

The 22nd century era - this has TOTALLY been untouched by Star Trek. There has been mention of some aspects in books that many take as gospel, but it really is only conjecture that really has no bearing on the new show for me.

Sounds like humans will be human again. From what I've been hearing, the people have faults. They over come their faults, but they aren't in total denial of them existing. I sure hope this is the case. Its an aspect of Star Trek that has been missing from the shows since after TOS.

The Final Frontier will be a Frontier again! Now this type of feeling has also been missing for a long time. Even from VOY sadly. Hope they don't muck it up here too.

The 'NX' of 'NX-01' - I like ENTERPRISE being a prototype vessel.

DISLIKES:

Braga - I view him as the GREATEST potential for this to fail (IMO of course). I'm hoping things will be better this time out.

Berman- to a lesser extent than that of Braga. I don't see Berman as a threat to the spirit of ST as many hard-core fans do, but he does comes across as a " hit or miss" type of producer to me. I do thinks we'll see some bad episodes because of this, how many remains up in the air though.

Starfleet existing before the Federation- From what was on STARTREK.COM it sounds like Starfleet was an Earth invention absorbed by the Federation when it was created. "At this time, Starfleet is strictly an Earth based organization with headquarters in San Francisco." I'm hoping it was just a mis-statment. Not a devastating thing, but I would rather have it be an Earth organization of some other name that will one day be folded into what will be Starfleet, along with a number of other planets' exploration and defense organizations.

'01' of NX-01 - Makes it sound like the first prototype vessel ever for Earth. I'm sure they're trying to say "first for Starfleet". I don't like that.

[This message has been edited by OMNIBUS (edited 07-11-2001).]

Duh, it's the first with a nice cushty captain's chair.

The captains chair looks like something from the TOS movies. I really think that B&B are sending the message that they believe that TOS TV would have looked like the TOS movies if they had the budget and "modern sensibilities".

I don't believe that Trek needs to go forward; Trek has a wonderful history to explore. However you have to be careful. B&B aren't being careful IMHO.