Thread: Get the players to playing!?

Get the players to playing!?

As I mentioned in previous threads, my RPGing as significantly decreased, mainly due to lack of time. Howver with that the interest of the players decreased as well and now we hardly play RPGs as well, although we quite often discuss about our past adventures.
    So what I would like to know is, how do you revive old campaings, bring back some spice into a game, etc? How do you make them play?
    We tried to set up a regular playing session at least once a month - but that did not work, because to often they had other things to do - which is probably showing that they are not interested any more. Maybe it is also the lack of a running series that makes the interest in Trek generally low...
    So, basically, do you have any ideas on how to get me another Trek-campaign?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Get a hook. Apply some bait. Cast. Wait. Tug. Play!!

What I have done with my player base to re-establish gaming was actually quite simple. I started writing about it. GS-1

Then, as my players started reading about their characters, the nostalga set in on them. They came to me, and asked me to run the game again. This allowed me to set a condition. We are going to remake the old characters by the book. That way, the players re-familiarize themselves with the system before we play again.

Once a month might not be frequent enough. Your players will plan their other activities accordingly, then one session has to be cancelled, so you suggest playing next month, but next month half of your players are away on vacation, so you have a downtime of three months. Speaking from personal experience, this can happen quite easily.
    Another problem arising from such a long period between game sessions is that it will be hard for everyone involved to become and stay motivated.
    Right now I am in the lucky position of playing every almost every wednesday evening. Our group is pretty large (7 players + GM), so even if not everbody shows up, we are still enough people to play.
    Of course, playing every week will be hardest for the GM, who will have to prepare everything in advance, but I suppose that's your smallest concern.

So my suggestion is: Agree on a weekday to play on a regular basis, even if it is just for a few hours. 4 hours of focussed playing is better than meeting on a saturday at 15:00, waiting one hour until enough players are there, explaining what has happened so for to the group arriving at 16:30, and ...
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Our group is pretty large (7 players + GM), so even if not everbody shows up, we are still enough people to play
    Wow, I think I''ve never ever seen that many Star Trek RPG users gathered on one spot with my own eyes...

I have to admit that I envy you

Did you try suggesting non-Trek games?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Wow, I think I''ve never ever seen that many Star Trek RPG users gathered on one spot with my own eyes...

I have to admit that I envy you
    Well it's not Star Trek, but DSA, the Borbarad campaign. The largest Trek group I ever GMed had 6 players, but personally I prefer a size of 4 (+GM). This allows a lot of interaction between the players, while the whole group is still manageable by the GM, i.e. he can keep everone involved and occupied.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Yeah, we played and "officially" still do, Mage: The Ascension and Shadowrun.

@Ergi: The problem is that many of us, me including, simply cannot afford to regularily meet more than once a month. While there are times when we could meet every week there are times when even once a month seems to be utopic, therefore we tried to make it mandatory to at least meet that once a month - which of course does not mean we would not meat more than month if possible.

The other tool that we have just recently started to use is web tools. We utilize ventrilo and forums like this to keep the story going. One thing that I did over the summer a couple years ago: We played the game in realtime. I would email a narrative to the palyers who needed it (usually a captain out in exploration) and he would respond. If there was an "event" we would either use ventrilo or an instant messenger and I would take care of the sheets and dice rolling.

It isn't for everyone, but maybe it will work for you.

My three regular players are :
    - one Star Trek fan
    - one moderately interested
    - one considering Star Trek universe worthy, but not more than anything else

I am trying to give a lot of Star Trek flavor to my games. I mean they must be something players are going to remember as "Star Trek", they must not be "another_SciFi_game".

Of course, themes, the Federation and like are strong in ST but many things can be played in other game universes (the moral Star Trek themes are universal, not that specific, for example).

So, I am heavily using background materials to build and run my stories.
    I am browsing over internet and select pictures from the shows, the movies or CGI images.

Then, I build various "scene cards" using the images. The purpose is to show them when describing a scene.
    I am not just describing that Ferengi, I show them a picture. The same for ships or landscapes.

It might look secondary but I believe (to my gaming group at least), it really enhances the Star Trek universe. It makes them feel playing in Star Trek, really, no mistakes. We are playing Star Trek and it is unique.

After each game, I reuse all the images and write one more chapter in the "episode guide" which is, basically, a compilation of the players adventures, more or less novelized. Added are the pictures used during the game, sometimes a couple of new ones (when I didn't find them at first).

At the beginning of each new game, I can hand them the guide and they are able to read and remember what they did, are again hit by the imagery of the Star Trek universe.

(and for me, writing the episode guide allows me to see the weaknesses or strengths in my plots)

I made a "technical book" about their starship, showing floorplans, locations, some bits of technology, pictures and biography of the main crewmember (using secondary characters from the shows mostly).
    I also made a "quadrant book", with details and pictures of the main races, organizations. There is a reminder of the StarFleet regulations etc...

I believe this material made my games successfull. It made our Star Trek games radically different from any other games we are playing.
    It kept the players interest up.

It may not work for every players group but, with mine, I believe it works.
    Also, it means there is more preparation on the GM side. But I enjoy it so it's not a burden to me.

-----

Storywise, I copied the trend of most of the TV shows which have two stories running at once (even if often one minor/light heartened/comical beside the main plot).

My "main plots" are "group plots", usually of interest for every PC.
    My "secondary plots" are usually targetting one PC, either because he has little to do with the main plot, either because I'd like to see the PC explore something (a personnality trait, personnal history, relationships etc...).

So far, I tend to avoid letting a player left in the cold because his character is unfit to solve the main plot (doesn't mean he can't contribute but he is mechanically, in game terms, not fit to help).

The double story also has the benefit to cool down things when players are somewhat out of ideas about the main plot. Give them the time to have a second breath while still playing the other plot.
    While it is possible, it is not mandatory the secondary plot needs all the players involved into it.

Again, it probably depends a lot of your player group.

Thanks for reading.

Pierre

I understand your schedules prevent more frequent games, but that really is where you need to change to build more enthusiasm. I've had similar problems when in D&D we couldn't get together except once a month and the results were the same. Low enthusiasm, flaky attendance, waning interest. When switching to a more frequent, shorter game, you solve all these problems. Once a week for 3 hours or every other week for 4-6 hours is the minimum I've seen be effective, and as long as you are running the minimum you have to have a compelling game too. The more regular you make the meetings, the more on-the-mind your game will be with the players. The more time they have to set aside for it, the more they will consider it a part of their schedule and show up (if it is once a month, it will always lose to other activities when it comes to rescheduling around one or the other).

If the problem is families and children, arrange to have part or all of the family come along. You play with your buddies and the kids get a play day together in the yard while the spouses hang out and watch a movie, drink tea (coffee), or kibitz about current events and neighbors and sewing techniques. It will be a lot easier to find time with a family if you take control of their schedules too. Instead of "daddy, take me to...", Little Timmy already has his day set out for him, avoiding any last minute changes kids might bring to your plans.

OK, I will try to make it more frequent, hope it helps. I will probably play a round of ST next weekend, after I put up some pressure That would be a great point to make that suggestion. Thanks for the help folks.

I dunno - my sessions are once a month, yert my players are very loyal and enthusiastic. I suspect that this depends very heavily on the individual group.

Some other ways to get people to be enthusiastic are specifically tailoring the adventures to the players interests and strengths, or ending sessions on cliffhangers, et cetera. Again, it depends on the group - some may hate cliffhangers.