Thread: ST-O needs roleplayer support!

ST-O needs roleplayer support!

I am currently obssesed with the Star Trek Online project as it is in development.

Over at www.startrek-online.net we have the ears of the developers (perpetual entertainment) and we are currently discussing the need for the MMO to include support for the more traditional pen and paper trek roleplayer. Since this IS the place for Trek RPGers I would like to encourage anyone with an interest to stop by the STO spot and voice your support (or not) for roleplaying features for ST-O

http://www.startrek-online.net/commu...ead.php?t=3203

Thanks in advance for your support

Damnation for those who dissent

Aiz

After your recent post I was fascinated and followed your link. I think it's quite a cool idea. Are there any thoughts about how high the monthly fee will be (yet).

No talk of money yet. Although there were some early polls and I think the consensus was around $12-15/month typical MMO subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar Kel
    No talk of money yet. Although there were some early polls and I think the consensus was around $12-15/month typical MMO subscription.
    As I Have no knowledge whatsoever of MMOs I had no idea that was a typical price range. Thank you for telling me

I have little to 0 expectation about how a MMOG developers staff is willing to listen roleplayers. Of course, when they are only planning what will be their game, they are always super open to new ideas. When the game launches, they are promising features for later development.
    And at the end, you'll get... probably nothing.

What you can expect is probably well expressed there :

"I say add as much Roleplaying support as is acceptable as long as it doesn't deter from the Development time or Game Content. "

RP support will happen when everything else is fixed. Considering the nature of MMOGs, it may mean "never".
    It is mostly seen as "waste of time" by the regular player who has no interest in RPing.
    Even if the game runs smoothly, regular_player_001 will want "more" : more missions, more loot, more areas to explore, more ennemies to blast, more ships
    There RP support becomes "delaying further development".

The best you can hope is to have a server with special rules, like it happened on Everquest with Firiona Vie (trivial loot code, modified language rules (at first), one character on the server only, trade easier). It probably supposes the game is a big hit on the market first. Which means focusing on everything else than RP support first.

I also suppose any post with "RP" in its title will be disregarded by the anticipating regular players.

Paradoxically, the features you suggest could interest everyone. Customization is always seen nice by everyone.
    But speaking about "RP" often trigger either a negative response "as long as it doesn't deter... blah blah", either simply a "meh..."
    Don't forget anything related to RPing is seen as lame by many people.

Suggest the features you'd like but drop the RP reference. People will probably give more support to them, just because they find them cool.

Pierre