Thread: Fourth Age Heraldry

Fourth Age Heraldry

Okay, here's one for the heraldry buffs!

In my 4th Age chronicle (which hasn't actually started yet - another fortnight of planning to go!), I find myself wondering what the livery of the northern part of the Reunited Kingdom would be. I've had it so that most people simply refer to the RK in general as "Arnor" or sometimes "Arnadan" (The Kingdom of Man) or "Adertharnad" (Reunited Kingdom, in Sindarin).

Either way, I was thinking that Gondor would retain the arms of the White Tree (that we see on the Gondor soldiers in the films), but what would be appropriate for the soldiers of the North? Did Arnor originally have a coat of arms that could be brought back? Or what would be heraldry based on the concept of an Elf-stone, to reflect Aragorn?

I've read somewhere that Gondor would have added a winged helm (ala Isildur/Elendil, presumably) after Elessar took the throne, and that the north would have used a plain five-pointed star, but I'm not sure if that was reliable or not (or indeed, even if I dreamt it! )

Thanks for any suggestions!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Not sure what if any Arnor had as a coat of Arms but the Lord of the Rings Risk game had a symbol for Annúminas as a golden tree with stars for leaves.

Looking at the Encyclopedia of Arda show that instead of a crown the King of Arnor wore a star (Star [gems] of Elendil) upon his brow. From the pratice of Númenor that a Sceptre of Númenor was the symbol of the King was continue in the Númenor Kingdoms in Exile using the sliver rod of the Lords of Andúnië as the Sceptre of Annúminas. Given that there was two Stars of Elendil and the North Kingdom was restored, I would guess that a Coat of Arms would be two Stars of Elendil lined up with the top of the sliver Sceptre of Annúminas.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    Not sure what if any Arnor had as a coat of Arms but the Lord of the Rings Risk game had a symbol for Annúminas as a golden tree with stars for leaves. <snip>
    Correction: No stars for leaves for the symbol and all strongholds are gold.

Have you made a decision on what to use?
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting