Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decipher 'Enterprise'

Question Decipher 'Enterprise'

A question for the LUG/Decipher people out there...

Will there be any game material specific to the new series in the core books, or is a suppliment planned for "Enterprise"?

I understand if non-disclosure aggreements don't allow you to say... just tell us you can't say.

But any info you CAN give us (about the products, not the show) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

AFAIK, having written or read most of the material for the core books, there's nothing in there from ENTERPRISE. Heck, I've seen next to nothing about the show -- less than a truly dedicated fan, probably -- and I imagine my fellow designers are the same.

I'd guess that we'll address ENTERPRISE-related issues when we feel it's appropriate to do so -- probably not for some time, until the show's built up some momentum and a bank of episodes to draw information from. But mind you, that's one peon's guess -- NOT a statement of official policy.

But, there's nothing stopping you guys out there in GamerLand from using our rules to come up with your own ENTERPRISE stuff, if you're interested. I'll bet we quickly see ship writeups and all sorts of other cool stuff popping up here on TrekRPG.Net soon after the premiere.

Steve Long

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    I'll bet we quickly see ship writeups and all sorts of other cool stuff popping up here on TrekRPG.Net soon after the premiere.

Steve Long
    </font>
    I hope people can wait until at least half way through the first show, some of the ship's tricks might not even see the light of day until the first season's finally...

Phoenix...

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

Well, I did the starship combat, creation, and am working on the first UFP starship book so overall I’ve designed (or am designing) something in the neighborhood of over 50 ships. I have not been asked/told/instructed to do anything for “Enterprise” nor given any information on the show.

My guess is that “Enterprise” will get its own supplement 1-2 years down the road after more is known about the show and it has matured a little. There’s so much existing Star Trek material to get out there that spending time on a show currently in development (i.e. trying to hit a moving target) is not a good expenditure of time.

Nothing I state should be construed as a statement of Decipher policy or plans.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:

My guess is that “Enterprise” will get its own supplement 1-2 years down the road after more is known about the show and it has matured a little.

</font>
    I'm sorry but I must disagree with you about this! There is absolutely nothing mature about a show that will take everything that Gene Roddenberry created for Star Trek, and throw it out the window!!

I have a huge problem with a ship that is fundamentally identical to a ship of the 24th Century starship, namely the Akira-class.

My feeling is that B & B is trying to insult the collective intelligence of Star Trek fans as a whole!

I know that some will say that I haven't seen any episodes yet, but why would I want to? The only up coming Star Trek event that I'm even remotely looking forward to would be ST X.

Because if everything I've heard so far about a series that chronologically takes place before TOS is fundamentally &%@)!!!!!

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

There have been some on this discussion board that has said that I was anti-Voyager. That's fine. I admit that I didn't like the show. I feel that Voyager never should've made it past the 4th season. But ever since I heard about this new series, I have been very disappointed in what B & B has done to my beloved franchise. I will even go so far as to say I l... i... k... e... Voyager.

I have a lot of respect for Mr Bakula's talent as an actor. I enjoyed Quantum Leap immensely. But I feel that he's making a BIG mistake in accepting this role.

I know I'm not alone in this.

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

[This message has been edited by Treefrog (edited 07-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Treefrog (edited 07-24-2001).]

Wink

But TREEFROG! You haven't even seen any of the episodes ye...oh. nevermind. *cough*

Niether have you Bob. Two sides to every coin how do you know it WON'T suck? I think it is a safer bet to say that it will.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Angry

I'm sorry? Wasn't this thread a query about whether Enterprise had plans for the Decipher Game?

At least that was answered before the thread got co-opted into ANOTHER one of these...

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Quite right, Dan. Must apologize.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Cool

Steve & Don... Thanks for the responses. One of the best things about these games is that we actually get to hear from the people who work on them (Now it only we could do that with the producers of the shows !)

Dan, Phantom... thanks for your comments to try to keep the post on track.

Treefrog... go get your own post! <Joking>

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treefrog:
    I'm sorry but I must disagree with you about this! There is absolutely nothing mature about a show that will take everything that Gene Roddenberry created for Star Trek, and throw it out the window!!

I have a huge problem with a ship that is fundamentally identical to a ship of the 24th Century starship, namely the Akira-class.

My feeling is that B & B is trying to insult the collective intelligence of Star Trek fans as a whole!

I know that some will say that I haven't seen any episodes yet, but why would I want to? The only up coming Star Trek event that I'm even remotely looking forward to would be ST X.

Because if everything I've heard so far about a series that chronologically takes place before TOS is fundamentally &%@)!!!!!

</font>

As much as I wory about Enterprise, and what it might do to Trek... I don't think every thread on the board needs to become an Enterprise-bashing forum.

What Don meant, I'm sure, by "mature" is: after the series has enough material to write something about.

Remember the FASA TNG sourcebook? They tried to write it after one or two seasons, and most of it was contradicted later in the series at some point.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

I'm hoping Enterprise will indeed be a completely separate timeline, so nothing in it can change established Icon/ Decipher information.

I've never seen the FASA TNG stuff, but it does sound like a good example of what not to do. I personally think it would be wise to wait until the series ends, but that's not very realistic.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Smile

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by calguard66:
    What Don meant, I'm sure, by "mature" is: after the series has enough material to write something about.

Remember the FASA TNG sourcebook? They tried to write it after one or two seasons, and most of it was contradicted later in the series at some point.
    </font>
    That's exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Good example, too.

------------------

A note about 'Enterprise' bashing. This is very much like the trend for computer industry pundits to predict Apple's demise on a quarterly basis.

Here's how it works:

- If you predict Enterprise will be a grand-slam success and the show tanks worse than Voyager ever did, you're a shill for Berman, Braga, and never understood Trek or Trek fandom.

- If you predict Enterprise will be a grand-slam success and it is, only the show's cast and creators get the credit. You get nothing.

- If you predict Enterprise will stink worse than an unwashed targ at high noon, and it does, then you are credited with the foresight of seeing intrinsic flaws of the series concept, casting, and Berman's ability to helm the franchise.

- If you predict Enterprise will stink worse than an unwashed targ at high noon, and it doesn't, then you can claim you've been pleasantly surprised.

Of the four outcomes based on 'tank' or 'won't tank' ... only a 'tank' prediction allows a win/win for the predictor.

So there you have it.

As for FASA's TNG Supplement, I recall it being short on detail - with little or no core system enhancements, and extensive lists of ship classes that were extremely fanboyish, such as naming a ship after Michael Whelan ... who, while having won a number of Hugos and quite possibly being one of the best artists in the trade, remains relatively anonymous. It had a rushed-to-print feeling, and shortly after that, FASA Trek was no more. (If that conflicts with anyone's fond memories of FASA Trek, I apologize. I've had the dubious privlege of encountering gamers who flame me for Not Knowing The Truth About FASA and Paramount, but can't tell me why the TNG Supplement was as described above.)

Bob