Thread: Decipher And The Miniatures License?

Decipher And The Miniatures License?

(hope this is the right forum)

So I've heard that the miniature gaming rights to Star Trek could possibly be out of the hands of Decipher by the beginning of the next year. Matt Sprange from Mongoose Publishing has publically announced that there could possibly be a Trek space combat game from his company in about a year. I've also heard a rumor that Paramount's restructuring could mean no new licenses for anyone, including game publishers.

So, are the miniatures rights going to be up for grabs? Any new Star Trek licences?
    "I cause pain out of necessity, but he...I swear he takes a positive delight in it. For myself, I can feel pity toward the poor Duke Leto. Dr Yueh will move against him soon, and that will be the end of all the Atreides. But Surely Leto will know whose hand directed the pliant doctor...and knowing that will be a terrible thing."

Dunno, but its a shame that they didn't get a minis game going because at the rate that collectible minis games are selling these days, it couldve more than made up for losses due to the RPGs... heck they couldve even tied the minis system to the starship combat system of the RPG.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Harkonnen
    Matt Sprange from Mongoose Publishing has publically announced that there could possibly be a Trek space combat game from his company in about a year.
    Where was that announcement made?

Right here
    "I cause pain out of necessity, but he...I swear he takes a positive delight in it. For myself, I can feel pity toward the poor Duke Leto. Dr Yueh will move against him soon, and that will be the end of all the Atreides. But Surely Leto will know whose hand directed the pliant doctor...and knowing that will be a terrible thing."

So I guess no one around here really knows?

Hmm it appears no one knew.. Who knew! I am guessing our ex Netreps are slipping into obscurity now, in terms of what they hear, but it will be cool if another company makes the minatures.. Will there be ships too ?
    Ta Muchly

^^If you're referring to the possible Mongoose game there would supposedly be pre painted miniatures (to the uninitiated that means pre-assembled too). God I hope it's not collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Hmm it appears no one knew.. Who knew! I am guessing our ex Netreps are slipping into obscurity now, in terms of what they hear, but it will be cool if another company makes the minatures.. Will there be ships too ?
    You say that like I actually got information when i was Net Rep, Tobian...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Harkonnen
    ^^If you're referring to the possible Mongoose game there would supposedly be pre painted miniatures (to the uninitiated that means pre-assembled too). God I hope it's not collectible.
    Hey, that's where the money is. I've avoided all of the collectible mini games, but I'd sink big cash into a Star Trek collectible minis game. Especially if it was both people minis and ship minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    Hey, that's where the money is. I've avoided all of the collectible mini games, but I'd sink big cash into a Star Trek collectible minis game. Especially if it was both people minis and ship minis.
    Yeah, I would too unfortunately. I tried WOTC's Star Wars minis game but gave up on it because it was a money pit. Pretty fun though. I'm just a little more passionate about Trek than I am SW, I would HAVE to stick with it.

And I haven't heard anything about people minis, though you never know.

What that game be something along the lines of Babylon 5's A Call To Arms by Mongoose? Than we probably wouldn't have collectible minis (thank god!) and a lot of ships coming out on a regular and a somewhat unreasonable priced basis!

edit: oh my: Should have followed the link first, before posting...

Something similar, yes. Matt mentioned using a stripped-down set of the CTA rules for Trek.

He also said it is still very much up in the air.

It's been awhile. Has there been any news on this topic?