Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trek Series ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    If there is going to be a new TV series I hope that they will set it from the time at the end of Voyager or forward some years. While flashback episodes & occasional time travel are fine for showing the past, I've never thought it was a good idea to do an entire prequel-based series.

First, it creates too many opportunities for & instances of inconsistencies.

Second, I think it's better to move forward, not backward. I think that was one of the reasons ENT was not successful. Although it did have some good episodes (& the last season was certainly the best of the series), I think it failed to capture the attention of the majority of Star Trek fans b/c it was a prequel set in Star Trek's "past."

I also think that was one of the problems w/ the Star Wars prequel trilogy (although not the only problems w/ that trilogy).

To me, Star Trek always was about moving forward, advancing & progressing. ENT seemed to take us backwards.

Third, the series needs new ideas & must be relevant to the audience of today. I think that's why the new BSG is successful & popular w/ many people. Any news series should tackle topics that are current w/ major issues of today, such as war, terrorism, religious extremism, racism, human rights, etc.
    Indeed.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

A few series ideas...

"House: The Next Generation" - Our main character is a seriously arrogant SF doctor who lost part of his leg in a transporter accident. No? Sounds to familliar?

"The Bachelor : Romulus" - Need I say more?

"The Vulcan and Captain Muir" - A SF captain finds that her ready-room is haunted by the spirit of a well-known Vulcan. The Vulcan agrees to help the SF captain solve everyday mysteries in exchange for assistance in getting to the "Hall of Thought" on Vulcan.

"The Data Family" - The ship is a museum, when people beam in to see 'em. They really are a scree-um, the Data Family.

"Beauty and the Klingon" - A reality show...8 beautiful women (or men), and thier "partners" are all Klingons. We send them out to do tasks and then ask them questions about thier experiences in these tasks. The team with the lowest score leaves the starbase.

Its time for my meds...enjoy.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

I would love to see a Klingon show . I can image a diffrent point of view during the TOS. A klingon house struggling to keep it people feed , and so on . A lost of a planet may mean death for thousand of klingons or "freeing" a planet from U.F.P .

I think a show from the romulan point of view would be great. The new government, how it now relates to the Federation and Klingon Empire, and the changes involved would be a great setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabit Rane
    I think a show from the romulan point of view would be great. The new government, how it now relates to the Federation and Klingon Empire, and the changes involved would be a great setting.
    I don't thin k that a show about a foreign power would attract much people. Another DS9 or TNG like show exploring the new romulan setting... Well IMO that would be cool

"Dr. Spock" - A daytime talk show where Spock helps people out. They tell him how they're fighting with thier spouses, or feel they're being abused by society and he asks them to see the ill-logic of thier perception. Either you get it or you don't.

"The Young and the Warpless" - A soap set after WW3 and before Picard and crew help Dr. Cochrane develop warp-drive.

"Pimp my Android" - People send in videos of thier mechanoids, one of them is selected and thier mechanoid is "pimped" by a rapper and his mechanic friends.

"Lost in Trek" - A spaceship gets lost in an unknown part of the universe, the youngest member of the crew keeps getting killed or sold into slavery by the rest of the crew. Oh wait that was Voyager...a ripp-off of Lost in Space...how original.

"The Price is Right : The Next Generation" - Basically the same show as we all know, however, the host is a Ferengi...so its more of a cross between The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal.

"Leave it to Bashir" - That scamp Dr. Julian Bashir. Always getting into mischief, that one is.

"Starship 1701, Where are You?" - Well it would really just be a title change to TOS. But wouldn't you just like to see Fred Gwyne and Al Lewis at the helm?

"The Tiberius Bunch" - Was David Marcus the only child of James T. Kirk? Hmmm...something to said for birth control.

"Ask this old Spock" - Does this really need explination.

"The Warping Gourmet" - Scotty cooks up recipe's from around the galaxy...but only the ones that contain alcohol or are a variant of haggis.

"Sing along with Uhura" or maybe "Federation Idol" - A talent show for the truly talentless in the galaxy...oh isn't that "American Idol".

"First Aid tips with Leonard McCoy" - A first aid primer on cable with everyone's favorite doctor.

"Warp Eight is enough" - A family show.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

I remember when Voyager was first announced. I thought it was "Voyages" and that made me think it was going to be an anthology show, like Outer Limits, or Twilinght Zone. I thought the idea of a show like that, where you'd hop from time to time, setting to setting, and get a much wider view of the universe, would be great. Maybe some stories would take two or three episodes, and maybe some would have follow-ups later in the season, or series, but otherwise, you'd just see the Trek universe from a lot of different eyes.
    One week it might be a doctor fighting a plague on Vulcan. The next week, it's a Gorn captain in a last stand against a Borg sphere. Then an episode about Kirk's school days. And maybe something in the Mirror Universe. What about an episode during the Klingon pre-space "Age of Heroes."
    There could even be adaptations of some of the more popular novels (maybe characters would have to be changed, or new actors would play the roles...like Bond, or Sherlock Holmes, but it could work).
    Anyway, I thought that'd be a cool show. But I also agree with the idea of doing a show right after Nemisis (maybe following Riker), or one set several centuries into the future. In both cases, I'd like to see more epic stories where things take time to build and each episode leads into the next. In this day of DVD box set sales, I think newer shows should be taking into consideration that they'll be watched like long movies or mini-series, and not randomly like they've been shown in the past.
    Last edited by Hastur; 03-17-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Well my opinion is this TOS, TNG & DS9 built off of each other.

Voyager was off in it's own galaxy not really building off of anything really.

and Enterprise was a Prequel Series even though suppose to link up to TOS it really failed in that attempt for various reasons such as a great continuing storly

After the Dominion War, how much has the Alpha Quadrant changed? Could old enemies be back? New conspiracies? What of the blue gill parasites?

Imagine rebuilding the Alpha Quadrant with the Romulans and Klingons?

Something building off what I call the Core Serieses (TOS, TNG & DS9) then adding in all the information Voyager having it link finally with the Core Serieses would make an interesting series to see.

Go back to hardcore scifi, it is obvious there are great sci fi writers out there with SG-1, Atlantis and BSG, we know they exist and have been here.

Get someone who knows good sci fi to bring the show back and running.

I have a few ideas about what I want to see.

A series where every episode is different focusing on different places or crews or species, just like Hastur just mentioned a few posts back.

A series that focuses on the Romulans and their space, not even set on a Federation ship. Maybe the Klingons or something.

A ship whose crew isn't all friggin humans. God, have a Betazoid Captain, an Andorian Security officer, a Vulcan Science Officer, a Tellerite Engineer, etc... I'm sick of the Starfleet=only humans syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    I have a few ideas about what I want to see.

A series where every episode is different focusing on different places or crews or species, just like Hastur just mentioned a few posts back.

A series that focuses on the Romulans and their space, not even set on a Federation ship. Maybe the Klingons or something.

A ship whose crew isn't all friggin humans. God, have a Betazoid Captain, an Andorian Security officer, a Vulcan Science Officer, a Tellerite Engineer, etc... I'm sick of the Starfleet=only humans syndrome.

#1 Not practical changing the crew every episode, anthology series like that don't seem to work. I would assume expense would really hurt this show.

#2 Agreed on this one. Romulan Star Empire openning up would be most interesting. Even though Nemesis made no sense (Where was the Tal'Shir during all that and the Empress?) Having a Starfleet Vessel the first one allowed to explore Romulan space would be interesting, a Liason Officer from the Romulan Government on Board, who may or may not be Tal'Shir trying to show the superiority of the Romulans to a Starfleet crew would be interesting. What secrets do the Romulans keep?

#3 I agree on this to a point, but budget is an issue. They had issues with an African American Captain and a Female Captain, because that was never done before. Having a Captain an Alien, I think we should do it, but alas the idea of a mostly alien crew although we can do that in our Trek Games, we run, Budget constrants on a series would sky rocket. How much was Enterprise an episode a couple million and they had 2 aliens as members of the crew. Having so many varient species would hurt the budget, if you are thinking DS9 had the Bajorans so they could do it. Two things, first same design over and over again too. IT was just a nose piece.

What needs to be done is pilfer the writers of hit Sci Fi series to create a real bible this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nene_Richards
    #1 Not practical changing the crew every episode, anthology series like that don't seem to work. I would assume expense would really hurt this show.
    I doubt it, and it is practical, they do it with many shows, would work easily.

#2 Agreed on this one. Romulan Star Empire openning up would be most interesting. Even though Nemesis made no sense (Where was the Tal'Shir during all that and the Empress?) Having a Starfleet Vessel the first one allowed to explore Romulan space would be interesting, a Liason Officer from the Romulan Government on Board, who may or may not be Tal'Shir trying to show the superiority of the Romulans to a Starfleet crew would be interesting. What secrets do the Romulans keep?
    No Starfleet ship, just Romulans. And what Empress are you referring to? The Romulan government has an Emperor, a Praetor and a Proconsul, no Empress there. The Tal'Shiar was wiped out by the Dominion, it doesn't exist anymore.

#3 I agree on this to a point, but budget is an issue. They had issues with an African American Captain and a Female Captain, because that was never done before. Having a Captain an Alien, I think we should do it, but alas the idea of a mostly alien crew although we can do that in our Trek Games, we run, Budget constrants on a series would sky rocket. How much was Enterprise an episode a couple million and they had 2 aliens as members of the crew. Having so many varient species would hurt the budget, if you are thinking DS9 had the Bajorans so they could do it. Two things, first same design over and over again too. IT was just a nose piece..
    Forget the Bajorans, there were tons of aliens shown constantly on DS9. Ferengi, Klingons, hell most of the main cast was aliens. It wouldn't be an issue, paramount and CBS have shitloads of money.

What needs to be done is pilfer the writers of hit Sci Fi series to create a real bible this time.
    What they need is continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    I doubt it, and it is practical, they do it with many shows, would work easily.

No Starfleet ship, just Romulans. And what Empress are you referring to? The Romulan government has an Emperor, a Praetor and a Proconsul, no Empress there. The Tal'Shiar was wiped out by the Dominion, it doesn't exist anymore.
    Ahhhh watch the DS9 Episode again, the Tal Shir like the Obseiden Order were crippled not killed. Got my Eras confused on Empress, where was the Emporer then? Honestly, Nemesis is my opinion, I was disappointed. Curious I hear a DC is out for it, I plan on seeing it see if it is better than Nemesis, but I am not going to get into a debate on Nemesis on the thread.

Forget the Bajorans, there were tons of aliens shown constantly on DS9. Ferengi, Klingons, hell most of the main cast was aliens. It wouldn't be an issue, paramount and CBS have shitloads of money.

What they need is continuity.
    I care to disagree, Silver for serveral reasons.

First, TV shows and budgets are based on the comercial play they get. If the show does not get companies clamoring for advertising, you will not get much of a budget. That is the truth and weirldly enough Sci Fi as much as we love it do not, ever ever ever gets that kind of backing from advertisors.

Second the audience do not watch Sci Fi as much as we fans do. Sci Fi channel is a hit, but primetime sci fi rarely rarely flies. You rarely get a Lost, Alias, Surface, Invasion etc they are exceptions not the rul.. That is very very recent, audiences are sort of embracing sci fi shows, but then again most sci fi shows are a Theshold for instance on regular TV. Majority of the TV audiences like cop shows: Criminal Minds, CSI (Original, Miami and New York), Law & Order (Original, SVU, Criminal Intent), Evidence, Monk, etc or sitcoms like King of Queens, How I met Your Mother, 2 and a half Men, Will & Grace, etc. Look at the TV that is what TV channels put on the air and what gives them the ratings. Cheap to make and maintain.

Hence why they like a show like Friends, pay the actors millions each per episode, because the advertisors are there and so is the audience and cheaper and quicker to produce. TV is a bitch goddess that has been a bane for us Sci Fi geeks for years.

Third, Viacom, who owns Trek and Paramount, may have millions, but they do not see the prospect of a new Star Trek series profitable, why invest millions in creating one show when the same money they can create 4 shows that are cheaper? Money goes farther for non sci fi hour long dramas and 1/2 hour sitcoms. Regardless of the fan base of Enterprise it cost them millions that they see as loss. It sucks but sadly true. They see more profit in non sci fi than sci fi that has been that way for decades. I don't agree with them but that is the real world it sucks because they dropped the ball and blame the fans.

On the good side, right now UPN and WB are merging, because of UPN's money and audience woes mostly. We could see a sci fi series in the future right now they are creating Mercy Reef (I hear is the working name), an Aquaman TV show, hopefully a Star Trek one, but they need to revamp the whole Star Trek house first, they need new creative writers and staff it is obvious there is need of fresh blood. You are talking contunality? You need writers, new fresh writers willing to do that just saying contulaity will not work. The old writers have forgotten it tossed it aside at times, but a new producer and creative mind to want to follow what is established is essential, someone new out there, needs to be found hence the pilfer from hit Sci Fi TV shows, someone is out there they need to be found.

Right now Sci Fi is hot, right now is a perfect time for a new Trek series, heck Takai and Keong are doing fan based movies that look good. There is a call by the fans out there that there is a need for the show, but right now the Lords and Masters of Trek do not see what the rest of us see. It absolutely sucks, I hate it. I have my novels and Trek on DVD, I am slowly buying.

Brian Singer has expressed interest in maybe doing a Trek movie or take over the franchise, he could get the stuff together maybe a driving force, but his last TV resurection attempt BSG failed. I hope Singer or someone takes over the reigns give it the new blood we all see and think it desperately needs.

Ahhhh watch the DS9 Episode again, the Tal Shir like the Obseiden Order were crippled not killed. Got my Eras confused on Empress, where was the Emporer then? Honestly, Nemesis is my opinion, I was disappointed. Curious I hear a DC is out for it, I plan on seeing it see if it is better than Nemesis, but I am not going to get into a debate on Nemesis on the thread.
    I agree, Nemesis is horrible. But the Tal'Shiar was wiped out, as was the Obsidean Order. Perhaps they may rebuild after, but hey were destroyed.

I care to disagree, Silver for serveral reasons.

First, TV shows and budgets are based on the comercial play they get. If the show does not get companies clamoring for advertising, you will not get much of a budget. That is the truth and weirldly enough Sci Fi as much as we love it do not, ever ever ever gets that kind of backing from advertisors.

Second the audience do not watch Sci Fi as much as we fans do. Sci Fi channel is a hit, but primetime sci fi rarely rarely flies. You rarely get a Lost, Alias, Surface, Invasion etc they are exceptions not the rul.. That is very very recent, audiences are sort of embracing sci fi shows, but then again most sci fi shows are a Theshold for instance on regular TV. Majority of the TV audiences like cop shows: Criminal Minds, CSI (Original, Miami and New York), Law & Order (Original, SVU, Criminal Intent), Evidence, Monk, etc or sitcoms like King of Queens, How I met Your Mother, 2 and a half Men, Will & Grace, etc. Look at the TV that is what TV channels put on the air and what gives them the ratings. Cheap to make and maintain.

Hence why they like a show like Friends, pay the actors millions each per episode, because the advertisors are there and so is the audience and cheaper and quicker to produce. TV is a bitch goddess that has been a bane for us Sci Fi geeks for years.

Third, Viacom, who owns Trek and Paramount, may have millions, but they do not see the prospect of a new Star Trek series profitable, why invest millions in creating one show when the same money they can create 4 shows that are cheaper? Money goes farther for non sci fi hour long dramas and 1/2 hour sitcoms. Regardless of the fan base of Enterprise it cost them millions that they see as loss. It sucks but sadly true. They see more profit in non sci fi than sci fi that has been that way for decades. I don't agree with them but that is the real world it sucks because they dropped the ball and blame the fans.

On the good side, right now UPN and WB are merging, because of UPN's money and audience woes mostly. We could see a sci fi series in the future right now they are creating Mercy Reef (I hear is the working name), an Aquaman TV show, hopefully a Star Trek one, but they need to revamp the whole Star Trek house first, they need new creative writers and staff it is obvious there is need of fresh blood. You are talking contunality? You need writers, new fresh writers willing to do that just saying contulaity will not work. The old writers have forgotten it tossed it aside at times, but a new producer and creative mind to want to follow what is established is essential, someone new out there, needs to be found hence the pilfer from hit Sci Fi TV shows, someone is out there they need to be found.

Right now Sci Fi is hot, right now is a perfect time for a new Trek series, heck Takai and Keong are doing fan based movies that look good. There is a call by the fans out there that there is a need for the show, but right now the Lords and Masters of Trek do not see what the rest of us see. It absolutely sucks, I hate it. I have my novels and Trek on DVD, I am slowly buying.

Brian Singer has expressed interest in maybe doing a Trek movie or take over the franchise, he could get the stuff together maybe a driving force, but his last TV resurection attempt BSG failed. I hope Singer or someone takes over the reigns give it the new blood we all see and think it desperately needs.
    Funny, from what I hear, Battlestar Galactia is a huge success.

I think you are letting a clouded judgement on Enterprise (which is utter crap) and Voyager (more crap) interfere with the judgement they could spend millions and get the audience.

The audience is there as long as the story is good. Hense, the audience.

I'm gonna have to go with Nene on this one silver. The fleets were wiped out, not the organizations. Both organizations lost most of their space born resources but the organization itself wasn't affected.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

The Battlestar Galactica out there right now is not the one that Brian Singer was creating. Which I love this BSG.

Brian Singer was doing a Next Generation: BSG bringing back Hatch, Bennedict etc. Loosely based on the Hatch BSG Novels and Battlestar 1980 was not going to be part of the continuality.

By the way met Hatch a few times at conventions talked to him outside of the fan interviews, nice man and is so alive talking about BSG. Love his character on the new BSG, hope he is not dead.

Ronald Moore, creative head writer of TNG, put this BSG project together after Brian Singer's failed.

In fact, Hatch was against this BSG, because he was hoping for the one he was involved in. He and Moore worked something out and now we have BSG with Hatch.

Voyager, Enterprise, etc. I try to be positive about those. Because there are fans, why? I am not one of them. Disliked both series, but my friend's fiance is a fan of Voyager and a superb RPGer to boot, she got into Trek through Voyager so I have to say good thing.