Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trek Series ideas

Question New Trek Series ideas

Well....okay. Since ENT was given the Kiss of Death from Paramount and we've been berift of a series for some time, what would people like to see as a new series setting?

Personally, I'd prefer something in the Late 23rd century (24th century trek has been run into the ground). Something without as much techno-babble (or if we must, the minimal babble we saw in the old series), more character driven (not nessesarily interspecies romance), and a bit more Hornblowerish like TOS.

Hmm....Honor Harrington/ Babylon 5 comes to mind as examples.

And can we PLEASE kill the politically correct atmosphere? It ground my nerves badly.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

As long as it's going to be on standard broadcast TV . . . and not a strickly cable network . . . it'll be PC cause the suits demand it.

Now if it was placed on SciFi . . . we have a chance of getting a little away from the PC side of things.

There are currently holes in Cannon just prior to TOS, Just after the Movies until say 2360's, and after the 2370's. Otherwise, shows not in this time . . . will have to reflect, atleast in passing, what else is happening during that time period. Furthermore if any era prior to 2370 . . . there are certain benchmark events which have to occur based on current Cannon.

Furthermore, will the events in ST:O be considered cannon? And if so . . . that'll limit future story writing within those sectors which ST:O takes place.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Eh, I already posted my ideas wayyy back in the "Series Seeds" thread. They haven't changed any.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

So then . . . there are no new ideas . . . since we have a hundred plus heads having already posted the vast majority of them?

OK here's one I wouldn't endorse . . . but still a new idea.

Title: "The Secret Life of Tribbles"
    the unknown conspiricy of the hairballs from space

Or how about this one, another one that I wouldn't endorse..

Title: "Siruis"
    Follow the life of a young girl of a colonizing family on the edge of known space. Watch her make new friends, struggle with the unknown, discover herself.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Shouldn't that last one be titled "My So-Called Life Form?"

"Survivor: Qo'Nos" -- We drop a dozen people onto Qo'Nos the night before a Klingon holiday. Whoever stays alive until sundown the next day wins.

"Big Guardian" -- random characters from each Star Trek incarnation are forced to room together in a small scout vessel for a month. We use the Guardian of Forever to spy on their most intimate moments.

"QTV's Holosuite Party" -- Um... no.

"Landing Party of Five?"

"Sex and the Starbase?"

"A'ly M'k'be'al?"
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

"A'ly M'k'be'al?"

ROFLMAO

Don't forget "Displaced"; the story of a group of survivors of a transport crash on some uncharted asteroid. The survivors must band together to survive in a strange world, while reoccuring flash backs give reasons for their personalities and their being on the transport.

Also, there is a monster (ok, that part wouldn't be a stretch in Trek), and the possiblity the asteroid is some kind of experimental lab. Then, the survivors must protect themselves from "The Redshirts"!!!

Since I'm lacking humorous ideas at the moment, I'll keep to being serious...

Personnally, I'd like a new ST series to be set in the future (post-Nemesis) instead of the past of the other series. Continuity has already been muddled about far enough, and I don't want to imagine what the outcries would once again be should the writers make the slightest continuity error.
    Plus, the problem with series happening in the past is that it limits somehow the possibilities : there's no way for instance to seriously threaten the future of the Federation (unless one uses time travel again, but that was done in Enteprise).

So, new possible series set in the future :

- A crew colonizing a new star system in the far reaches of the galaxy. The nearest starbase is some weeks away at average warp speed (only the fastest Starfleet ships can go there in a few days), the system counts numerous planets with various secrets to discover, and of course the crew has to terraform the planets and settle, while getting along with each other. Civilians characters only, with maybe a small StarFleet ship around.

- The Federation is nearly annihilated in the pilot episode (be it because of the Borg or a new threat). The series is about its rebuilding... or the survival of its remains. Crew is a ragtag group of various origins and species.

- The series is set far more into the future, and features the crew of the Enterprise insert letter here (or another name). It's an experimental starship, able to use transwarp or some other technobabble, and therefore exploring the outer reaches of the galaxy, and maybe its neighbours. The technology is much more advanced, but the crew is often left alone to deal with the situations, while at the same time not being lost far away from home and trying to return. Yes, I know it's a sort ef Star Trek:The Next Next Next Generation, but sometimes an old recipe can be tasteful with new ingredients.

Anyway, one thing I'd really love in a series is internal continuity and story arcs (what was partly made in DS9 and apparently in Enterprise, which I have not seen in full yet).

I'd also like a crew that strays away from the cast Trek crews all seem to be set in (the unique alien with a quizzical look on mankind, the alien with strange powers, the hot chick, the other girl, the down-to-earth guy, the women-loving guy, the british character, the asian character, the black character...).
    And please - more women on the crews (not hot chicks every other character lust about, just "normal" women, like Dr Crusher, Hoshi Sato, or Dr Carter in SG-1) - if ST is set in a world with no sexism, how come there are always more men than women in the command crew ?

And less space battles, more FX that is NOT used for space battles (I'd love to see an alien world which doesn't look like a painting with cardboard houses in front), more human stories like TOS, TNG and DS9 used to have with critics of our current world or behaviour, and characters who make mistakes, and sometimes don't save the day at the end of the episode...

Uh... sorry for this long rant, I think I was a bit carried away...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I think that Trek should be pushed ahead several centuries to get beyond the corners written in the Berman-Braga era. I think that we Trekkers have gotten too used to the genre and I think it needs a kick in the ass. It would be a good oppurtunity for writers to stretch the imagination a little bit, introduce new things and only re-visit the old. Technology for us is moving really quickly, and Trek has - and I don't want to say stagnated- but is quite a bit slower, and a lot of it is no longer fantastic. Call it something like: Star Trek: Millenium or something along those lines, and maybe re-introduce the Andromedans as the main bad guys. I think at this stage of teh game, Paramount can afford to take a risk on a project like this, judging by the great positive response with BSG and Stargate. My 2 cents.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Personally, we've gone far enough "ahead" with the timeline. I don't know if I could watch another series set further ahead. Remember, the 29th Century is the middle of the Temporal Cold War, so we're bracketed on both ends.

I would prefer another prequel, set in the early-23rd Century (between ENT and TOS), or something in the 2295-2311 timeframe.

Another idea I'd like to see developed is, perhaps, something with Jim Kirk's father, circa 2240...or, even better, circa 2245, with Captain April and the USS Enterprise.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

No matter if it would sell well or not, I'd like to combine the features that I like from TNG and DS9. Exploration (TNG) and long story arcs (DS9).
    A series about exploration (going a little further into the unknown than TNG did) with some epic story ideas.
    I'd like to see a series picking up sometime after 'Nemesis' or during the last weeks of the Dominion War and continue the universe we know.
    I neither would want another trip back in time (prequel stuff, we could have just kept ENT then) nor another TOS to TNG kind of timejump of a century or so.
    The StarTrekVerse around the time of 'Nemesis' isn't completely devoid of story ideas, look at the novels out there, there are at least some worth reading with decent stories. I have to agree with C5: Make some memorable SFX part of the show that aren't scenes of battle alone.

Wow, some great ideas here: great, totally contrary ideas.

And that is the problem: the direction that a new Trek series should take changes with each person (fan, corp. suit or professional writer) you ask. There is no consensus, and given the current climate that seems to be prevelant in the various networks, no concensus means no show. It seems we have 'fanboyed' ourselves out of a show.

But, we are not here to create a new show, only to toss around ideas, so I'll toss my hat into the ring.

I think the next trek show should go forward; going backward would only confuse. But, I also think going too far into the future would be just as bad. The main problem is that "it's all been done before". It's the same with my other great love, comics. After awhile, you don't care that Magneto is good (again), Jean is dead (again), the X-men are being hunted by their enemies (still?). It's all old hat. Been there and done that, bought the limited edition with mulitple holographic covers.

That being said; sometimes you have to go with 'what works', and for trek it seems that stories of exploration and real world issues wrapped up in the cloth of sci-fi are what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    That being said; sometimes you have to go with 'what works', and for trek it seems that stories of exploration and real world issues wrapped up in the cloth of sci-fi are what works best.
    I think you hit the nail right on top here, Tricky: I think that Trek should go back to what made it work in the first place. That might probably bring back the people and hopefully some quality back into TV. And I can see nothing wrong about stories of exploration and moral dilemmas, noble principles and real world issues wrapped in sci-fi outift. And I'd say yes to some nice CGI effects as well

If there is going to be a new TV series I hope that they will set it from the time at the end of Voyager or forward some years. While flashback episodes & occasional time travel are fine for showing the past, I've never thought it was a good idea to do an entire prequel-based series.

First, it creates too many opportunities for & instances of inconsistencies.

Second, I think it's better to move forward, not backward. I think that was one of the reasons ENT was not successful. Although it did have some good episodes (& the last season was certainly the best of the series), I think it failed to capture the attention of the majority of Star Trek fans b/c it was a prequel set in Star Trek's "past."

I also think that was one of the problems w/ the Star Wars prequel trilogy (although not the only problems w/ that trilogy).

To me, Star Trek always was about moving forward, advancing & progressing. ENT seemed to take us backwards.

Third, the series needs new ideas & must be relevant to the audience of today. I think that's why the new BSG is successful & popular w/ many people. Any news series should tackle topics that are current w/ major issues of today, such as war, terrorism, religious extremism, racism, human rights, etc.

Either a re envisioning of the original series, or something 25-26C . I'd like to see something truly different.