Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Decipher Trek Wishlist and Rap Session

Cool

Okay, one more thing...

Carboard heroes. A first set should have about 50% Starfleet and a 50% mix of threat races.

------------------
    -- "Since the whiskey belongs to me, and it's on me, lets drink to me!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita:
    Okay, one more thing...

Carboard heroes. A first set should have about 50% Starfleet and a 50% mix of threat races.
    </font>
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

Sorry...got a little excited there...but dang this should be a priority!

I hate to paint minatures and lug (pun not intended) them around. Cardboard Heroes (or something similar from Decipher would be great

That said I want to see ship minis as a priority as for them cardboard just won't cut it But that said, maybe resin or plastic instead of lead or pewter?

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Strange New Worlds at;
    http://www.geocities.com/aslan_collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=

[This message has been edited by Captain Zymmer (edited 07-29-2001).]

Cool

I want a book devoted to religion in Trek. Give the 24th century status of Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, Protestantism. Mormonism, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Daoism, Animism, Shamanism, Paganism, Satanism, and Wicca. Expand the info on Andorian religion. Include Klingon, Bajoran, Centauran, and Cardassian religion. Make up some new Earth- based religions. Include psionics information.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    I want a book devoted to religion in Trek. Give the 24th century status of Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, Protestantism. Mormonism, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Daoism, Animism, Shamanism, Paganism, Satanism, and Wicca. Expand the info on Andorian religion. Include Klingon, Bajoran, Centauran, and Cardassian religion. Make up some new Earth- based religions. Include psionics information.

</font>
    I agree with you on Bajoran, Centauran, & Klingon. Cardassian would be stretch, but would make interesting reading.

I PASSIONATELY agree with you on Wiccan, Pagan, Buddhism, & Earth-centered religions. That stuff ACHES to be Trekkified.

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt

A Klingon s/b.

Nuff said.

------------------
    "We are Klingons!"

Cmdr. Kruge, ST III

I most definityly would like to see extreamly detailed source material for the other threat races. Cardassian and Orion (syndicate) for example. As well as material on other canon races like the Gorn, Breen and so forth.

I suppose that I will have to wait until that info on those Kligon Varuls comes out.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

What can I say; miniatures

Be they plastic, die-cast, lead or some other concoction.

As long as they a modeled well and can be painted and mounted.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    </font>
    I dunno, that doesn't seem very Trek-y. I'd prefer to see the info on religion integrated into the other stuff about the culture (like in the Andorian book), rather than in a separate book.

Side note: anyone find it interesting that apparently every religion in Trek are be based on actually entities? The Prophets, the Olympians... it's like a sort of Chariots of the Gods thing, only they apparantly ARE gods!

IMHO I think bringing religion into the Star Trek has all the earmarks that the infamous Marine/marine debate incurs everytime it comes up. As a sidenote for different cultures yes but as a sourcebook, not a good idea.

Here are my hopes for Decipher beyond those I've already expressed.

1. Less b&w art, more pics and art from the series - ships and vehicles should be rendered in CGI if a pic cannot be found, as they have been in the CCG's. This is the big thing i am looking to DecTrek for...so don't disappoint me!

2. Macro books - what I mean is I don't need a Starfleet Security handbook - its too specialized. A generic "stongarm" book detailing the role of everything from Starfleet secuirty to Mercenaries and Maquis rebels and all the major threats they would face (from guys with phasers to datalink hackers)... That would be a good sourcebook for me.

3. Race books - I've mentioned it before but I really feel strongly that we don't get into the "Monster Manual" mode of races in DecTrek. I don't need a "Among the Clans" but I would like a good writeup on the race, its culture, unique technology, and history. At leat a good 10 pages or so (which means you could fit about 18-20 races in a 200 pg book. However, I still think that the major empires should have their own book; but one major book of threats would work...but only if there are rules for alternate campaigns and characters. I really liked books like Way of Dera and such - if the Federation gets lots of info why not the enemies he or she faces - especially the big ones...

4. I'd prefer that starship stats be placed with the appropriate race in the books... I'd rather lug around a Klingon book than have to lug around both a Klingon and a Klingon starship guide. Anyway there are only half-dozen canon Klingon ships anyway (give or take a few) and even less canon Romulan ones.

5. Finally, no boxed sets. Others may disagree but for the cost I have no use for them. I use rulebooks and find that the maps and diagrams in the box get destroyed too quickly. I really wish Way of Dera had been in single book form. I really prefer soft or hardbound books (the later preferred).

Being an avid Warhammer 40k player, I love painting miniatures, so I would love to see minis of ships and crewmembers.

Re. Boxed Sets (Yuck!)

Boxed sets might have made sense back in the
    bad old days when you couldn't buy esoteric
    dice at just about any hobby shop, but
    there's really no excuse for them now.

As far as I'm concerned, "boxed set" just
    says "we're too cheap to pay for real books
    with real bindings," and I avoid 'em like
    the proverbial plague.

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Raynor:
    As far as I'm concerned, "boxed set" just
    says "we're too cheap to pay for real books
    with real bindings," and I avoid 'em like
    the proverbial plague.
    </font>
    Boxed sets cost more than regular books w/ binding.

Boxed sets are used to hold additional items, such as maps, SFA diplomas, or other items. They also allow for an easier dividing of material, say material for the Narrator and material for the players.

I'm not going to aruge the merits/failings of boxed sets--only point out that making a boxed set is anything but "cheap." It's viewed as an added value.

With that said Christian has already indicated there will be no boxed sets from Decipher.

------------------

So that means no Decontamination T'Pol figure included in the "Enterprise: Boxed Set" by Dan Moppin.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brad:
    IMHO I think bringing religion into the Star Trek has all the earmarks that the infamous Marine/marine debate incurs everytime it comes up. As a sidenote for different cultures yes but as a sourcebook, not a good idea.</font>
    I think it would work and could be very interesting if done right. DS9 did some really good "religion" based shows, like the one that I watched last night where Vedek Winn tried to stop Mrs. O'Brian from teaching the "scientific" reasons behind the worm hole. DS9 may not have been a religious heavy series, but religion did play a heavy role in it. Besides LUG touched on religion with the Andorian and Vulcan Sourcebooks. I know I would be interested in alittle more info on Romulan Religion, Klingon Religion could also be interesting.

They could make a book showing how the real religions,ie ones worship in real life, have changed from 20th century thinking up to 24th century, and then go in-deapth into the alien religions. After all if there is going to be, and I am assuming there will be, a Bajoran Sourcebook religion would have to be a big part of it.

Anyway, just an idea. I don't really think that anything can be classed as un trek like. You just have to have aTrek way of thinking, that's all.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!