Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Decipher Trek Wishlist and Rap Session

Since I realize writing full blown adventures that can be used in any series can be a daunting facet, and the Narrators are likely to alter them to fit their own needs anyway...I think a book of seeds would be great.

Say a book, organized in "types" of adventures, with one page front and back seeds of adventure ideas would be handy.

Categories could be like:
    Bottled (takes place entirely on ship)
    Brave New Worlds (planet-side on non-Fed worlds)
    #Species# (adventure seeds about a specific threat species)
    Showing the Flag (adventures involving Starfleet interacting with a Fed Member world or colony)
    Red Alert (seeds that revolve around the use of prevention of the use of Star Ship force)

Now, I know that I personally could probably churn out a "seed a day" for months and I'm just some guy..real talented writers could probably churn out really cool stuff that the rest of us could just build from with less "tinkering to fit".

I would buy "lots" of books like that, because I just enjoy the seeds for themselves, and the best ones I would actually use.

Peace

Ok...

Lock all weapons on me...

The old FASA ships? GAH!!! I LOATHED most of their designs!

I DID like the D-10 and Rom Gallant Wing ALOT however. BUT for more than a few of their work, seeing ships with warp engines on wing-like pylons sticking out about half a klick...ugh...

That was a Fed ship, BTW.

Honestly, I thought most of their designs were just passable. The REAL strength was in the write ups!!!

In SFB, I REALLY like the Fed CVA and Klingon Tug designs.

Ok...

FIRE!!!

------------------
    "This battlestation is now the ultimate power in...who's hailing us? I don't care who these 'Borg' are, THEY CAN WAIT!!!"
    Admiral Motti, now Eighth Of Eight

Religion books:

This where I would disagree with those for such a book. I love culture info more than anyone but the only races in which religion has been explored is the Klingons and the Bajorans. Both can be tacked onto their respective sourcebooks.

Religion of humans and many other species has not been explored by Trek much. When possible I like material extrapolated from Trek episodes rather than invented by the writers. For instance a Security guide or Medical Guide could be extrapolated form TNG/DS9/Voyager episodes but UFP Religion would be much more difficult.

Beyond that its very microsource and has VERY limited appeal. From what I heard, the racebooks in LUGTrek (Andorian et al) sold poor. If true it says something about the viability of such books. Many people won't buy a Vulcan sourcebook because the don't use Vulcans or care neough about Vulcan culture.

What that says is that microbooks don't sell well. DecTrek has to appeal to broad audiences here. And I would be surprised that a Religious sourcebook would find appeal beyond a few people on this board and a few die-hard fans. I would be very hard pressed to concider picking up such a book due to its limited appeal.

Any source book has limited appeal. I like Andorians and picked up the book, you may not and not buy the book. I passed on the Vulcan book, you may have gotten it. I have ignored the last 3-4 books put out for L5R, my all time favourite game, others out there might have a use for the shadowlands book, I don't. You are going to have that in any game. Sourcebooks are limited in scope, the subject they are on, that is why they are out there, to add extra flavour to a certain aspect of the game. You say you are not interested in a religion book, well others out there might. It would be highly unlikly that it wouldn't be worth publishing, after all they published the Academy Pack. Don't get me wrong I thought an Academy game might be interesting, but (and meaning no offense to the writers) there is very little important info in it. If you didn't like the Romulan box set would you say it wasn't worth publishing? It is all a matter of perspective.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Unhappy

AAAAAAAIIIIIGH!!!!!!!!

NO boxed sets??? Does this mean that Decipher's version of Engage! Will just be books with no counters??? Does this mean my dream of a Trek ship combat game with rules, counters, dice and starter squadrons of miniature ships is dead?? Same for ground combat?

I prefer my RPG's as just books, but miniatures games, especially those meant to be integrated into the RPG should have a WOW factor, and dare a say it, a "COOL TOYS" factor!

Well this is just one mans opinion. Hopefully they will sell ships and figures as individual blisters, one other game made the mistake of only doing boxes of minis, and it held them up, until singles were released it as mild sales. I understand that on pure mini basis, but When I got the Fasa game (Ship combat) while it had no minis it stil had that "Cool" feel, I remember punching the counters for the first time and playing, it was just fun. Babylon 5 wars had the same thing and they give you a couple of ships now in the new boxes. (My 1st ed had 18 fighters) Something like this would be cool, at least one fed, one Romulan and one Klingon ship.

The other problem, I see with just books for engage, has anyone bought a book only wargame to find the pieces bent or crushed either by shipping or by too tight shrinkwrap??

Books only for the RPG, but please box up the Starship and Ground combat systems.

Rants over, sorry.

I think he meant no boxed RPG sets. If they do come out with a ship/ground combat system it will probably be in a box.

I know how you feel, I eagerly awaited GROPOS and then found out it was only a rule book with some admin counters. Big diappointment.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

One item I would like to see in the ST stuff coming out, it is a small thing, when get to the awards and commendations a detailed descrption or picture of the award would be nice. What exactly does the Order of the Ra'Tar, the Grankite Order of Tactics or the Chris Pike Medal of Valour look like exactly.

I know some out there will say just make it up. Its just when I have to do that it doesn't feel canon to me. Silly I know, but you asked what we would like to see.

Thanks for your attention.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Any source book has limited appeal. </font>
    I understand Phantom. All books may have limited appeal but there are degrees of limited appeal. The Andorian book has limited appeal to those who like Andorians but it may appeal to anyone playing a Federation campaign. Me? I'll never play and Andorian but I couldn't pass up some info on the Federation. Same with Vulcans.

I just was saying that Religion books would have much narrower scope and as such would sell much less than "clanbooks" would. As someone said I'd rather see religion and culture linked with the races in question rather than a separate book on the subject.

But this is just my own opinion.

I totally agree with you. My point is that if that is the way they are going to do it, then do it with some detail. Religion is a big part of a civilization, I'm not looking for a bible here, it is just that the authors of the various sourcebook (in any game) tend to focus mainly on military and resitance movement (all very exciting and necessary for a good game), but the actual government, religion and other parts of society should have chapters as well devoted to them (maybe not on a 1-1 basis, but at least 1 chapter describing the civilian aspect). The Andorian book did the best job I have seen in a sourcebook yet, the info on religion and how they live there lives I found very interesting. Of curse I am interested in the history of ancient civilizations, so I may be in the minority here.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I don't understand, personally, why we would need a sourcebook on religion for Star Trek. It really isn't what the stories focus on (with of course occasional exceptions) and in many ways could merely start arguments. I would like to see effort spent on books that enhance Star Trek Roleplaying, like sector books, adventures, race sourcebooks (which could naturally include some discussion of religion), ships and technology, Star Trek history, etc. I don't mean to offend anyone but what does the state of Wicca in the 24th century have to do with the adventure and campaign aspects of Star Trek? All of us are going to have different ideas on this anyway, so just incorporate your ideas into your game if you feel you must. Me I'd rather engage in adventures like those on screen then spend my time arguing about religion.

I'm not arguing about religion, nor am I saying we need a book for relegions in Star Trek by itself. I merely stated it would be interesting. If Dec. follows the way LUG did their sourcebooks then all aspects of a given society will get equal billing from the Defense Forces to Religion. I simply think that if you are going to do a sourcebook you should look at as much of the civilization as you can. A society is not the sum of the weapins it uses, which some game companies seem to think.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I would appreciate a large chapter exculsively devoted to designing adventures. A lot of RPG books out there (except perhaps LUG) lack any substantial info on that subject.

------------------
    "Please rush me my portable walrus polishing kit, eight super brushes guaranteed to clean even the stickiest seabound mammals. Yes I am over 18, even though my IQ isn't."

Considering I am more of a DS9 RPG fan than ST:TNG RPG fan I would like to see a "Freebooters" sourcebook. Detailing the ligit and less than legit occupations in both the Federation and beyond it. I would leave the really nasty stuff (Mercs, Assassins, Pirates, Drug Dealers et al) for a Organized Crime sourcebook.

I mean how to run a free ship in the StarTrek universe - being a trader, a merchant, even a smuggler. We already have "Raiders" in DS9 RPG already so DecTrek can do that later - but we didn't get the LUGTrek version of "Trader Captains and Merchant Princes" which I think would be very good for the game.