Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decipher Trek Wishlist and Rap Session

Post Decipher Trek Wishlist and Rap Session

[Please note, just in case it comes up, that I don't want this topic to be about the quality, necessity, or validity of the wishes or their list. Let Decipher and Don worry about those things. Let's not be bound like pages in a book here. To the edge of the galaxy, and all ideas are good ones. Go forth.]

Man, oh man am I excited by this new game. I have purchased maybe $20 worth of Decipher products before now (since I don't play CCGs), but I'm thrilled to know that Decipher printing and graphic abilities will be joining forces with LUG's ingenuity.

So, onto some requests/pleading/ideas ...
    [These are phrased as questions, though I know answers are not likely to be forthcoming.]

Is it possible for the new ship combat system to correspond more with the language of the television series? That is, what if a ship's structural points/shields fall onto a scale like the health levels did (or like L5R's) so that it's more intuitive to discuss percentages? (e.g., 45% Damage : 30 Points Damage)

Can the new game give us Starship record sheets built to accomodate Power distribution? Can these sheets look like an LCARS display?

Is there a better way to handle phasers (Type I-IIIa) than a chart? I think it's okay for the game mechanics to feel "gamey." What if a phaser's charge is just the amount of damage it can still deliver (like the overload rule)?

I'll have more, but right now I'm just psyched to hear about the creative process in any capacity: even the speculation of us fan-types!

And, yeah, all the above suggest my preferences. I know they may not be the best way to do things.

word,
    will

p.s. I haven't seen his name all over: is Matt Colville a part of Decipher West?

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dade (edited 04-25-2001).]

I want books to cover Rigel, Deneb, Antares, and Betelgeuse. I want a book to cover the space at the heart of the federation, say a 30 light year radius around Earth. A real guide to sector 001 would do. I want detail about the Tellarites, Centaurans, Betazoids, Bolians, and Trill. I want even greater scientific and astronomical accuracy than in Icon. I want at least brief descriptions of many real star systems.

I want advice or something on playing in the mid 21st century, the 22nd century, the 25th century, the 27th century, and the 29th century. I want something about ancient Vulcan, ancient Andor, ancient Rigel, the Tkon, and the Iconians. I want stuff about the Progenitors and the Preservers. I want stuff about Voth Earth. I want mechanics for generating alternate universes.

I want blank starship templates. I want mechanics for possibly random generation of planets, aliens, lower lifeforms, and societies. This should be detailed.

"I want to be an Airborne Ranger..."

Okay, let's see. I fully expect to buy everything that comes down the pike that has ANYTHING to do with the universe I play in (which is currently the DS9/TNG-movies Era).

I expect that that would cover the Core Books, and any Species Books (Klingon, Cardassian, Andorian, Bajoran, Ferengi) they'll come out with.

Things that I want, would buy, but am not quite silly enough to demand?

A fully-illustrated SRM. With CGI TOS, DS9, and TNG ships. That I can read in my BVD's. ASAP.

A sourcebook of detailed Alternate Universes to play in. "SliderTrek!"

An AQ-BQ "Map 'o Everything" so I can finally have an idea what my universe LOOKS like. (I'm a Map Geek. I love maps. Help.)

Deltans. (My gf INSISTS on being one if I want her to play.)

A very Kzin-like species (but not the Kzin, since apparently Mr. Niven won't licence out the species, even though he DID write a TAS episode with them, so they're also a part of the Trek universe.)

Species Creation rules?
    Planet Generator: From Risa to Planet Hell.

Something with ideas for playing/dealing with advanced / noncorporeal / nonhumanoid beings (Q, Metrons, Organians, ST:V's 'God,' the 'Day of the Dove' Creature, Redjac, Melkotians, Talosians, the Caretaker)

Horta PC's!

Talking

I want a detailed ICON conversion section included in the "player's" book, so I can use all my current LUG material.

Wha? Oh, that's already been promised by Christian? Hmm...

Then all I want is an advanced copy autographed by all the former LUG designers and writers working on the game!

Seriously, though, I don't really have a wish list. I just hope it's a good game. Considering the folks working on it, I'm pretty confident of that.

Steve

P.S. Oh, I just thought of something... No Attacks of Opportunity, PLEASE!!!

I just want a good, well thoughtout game that details, in-depth, the main races, governments and militaries. That's all. Thank you.

<font color="orange">P.S. Oh, I just thought of something... No Attacks of Opportunity, PLEASE!!!</font>

What do you mean "no attacks of opportunity"? If you think you can saunter your butt pass me without blistered welt from my snapping towel, you got another thing coming. It's my God-given right when the opportunity is present.

Now get... get... git over here!

*runs after Cook with a towel*

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 04-26-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    <font color="orange">P.S. Oh, I just thought of something... No Attacks of Opportunity, PLEASE!!!</font>

What do you mean "no attacks of opportunity"? If you think you can saunter your butt pass me without blistered welt from my snapping towel, you got another thing coming. It's my God-given right when the opportunity is present.

Now get... get... git over here!

*runs after Cook with a towel*

</font>
    I take 10 and aim with my Phaser

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Cool

My biggest "fear" is that the new Trek game will become so TNG/DS9/VOY-centric that the TOS era will appear to be a pasted-on afterthought.

As I've stated many times, I like the TOS era, and am not a big fan of TNG/DS9/VOY as a role-playing background.

I'm worried that when Decipher combines all of the eras into "core books," the TOS era will be treated like the proverbial red-headed step-child...

I want random creation of adventures. I think it'd be cool if the RPG is related to the CCG. I want an introductory adventure game.

MOVIE PERIOD!!! Let's have some stuff on the red uniform ST II-VI period. It's my favorite period. Heck, lets have some sutff on the bad pajama era, even.

Movies, I say.

Did I mention the movie period?

I'd suggest a separate book for each movie, but one book covering all the TOS ones would be more likely, and maybe a separate book for each TNG movie. It might also be nice to have some focus on the early 24th century.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cessna:
    My biggest "fear" is that the new Trek game will become so TNG/DS9/VOY-centric that the TOS era will appear to be a pasted-on afterthought.

As I've stated many times, I like the TOS era, and am not a big fan of TNG/DS9/VOY as a role-playing background.

I'm worried that when Decipher combines all of the eras into "core books," the TOS era will be treated like the proverbial red-headed step-child...
    </font>
    Well, if the new series does turn out to be a prequel, that may not be a worry.

Hugh

maybe give the one 23rd century equal weight to the three 24th century series combined.

maybe do at least one product about a portion of Trek created specifically for the game.

Arrow

At one time FASA was on the veerge of publish a game module or really a stand alone game called Operation Armaggedon. This game was to be about conducting large scale operations during a supposed war against various enemies and the all out two front war scenario ala Star Fleet Battles "Federation & Empire". There was a big write up in the Star Trek IV source book inpreparation of its release but alas the game was never published. At one point Ross or Don I can't remember which infered that the Idea of such a game from LUG, though more of a RPG you are the admiral move your forces arond type game was in the very early stages of development.

So my simple wish is that at some time a real war game based in the Trek universe be published to produce battles for the minature game or to just make more interesting play.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steven A Cook:
    Then all I want is an advanced copy autographed by all the former LUG designers and writers working on the game!</font>
    I'll see what I can do

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">P.S. Oh, I just thought of something... No Attacks of Opportunity, PLEASE!!! </font>
    Well, considering I recently cut these *out* of the Wheel of Time RPG (as I finished the last of my WotC contract work), I can say with certainty that you won't find them in the new game

Christian