Thread: A question of 23rd century politics

A question of 23rd century politics

A fellow GM who's advice (if not politics) I respect and I are at a philosophical impasse and we've agreed to put the question to our fellow GM's here.

Okay, here's the rub:

My players and I are running a campaign in the Aeredon Corridor, a remote sector lightly held by the Federation in the 2270's timeframe (between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Kahn).

Although the sector is nominally governed by the Federation, and lies outside the Organian Treaty Zone, the Klingons were allowed to invoke that treaty to retain possession of a planetary system within the sector. Several independent worlds also lie within the sector, some with starfaring capabilities and some protected by the Prime Directive. At least one world is governed by the Orion clans and several small Orion outposts are believed to be scattered in and near the nebula clouds which border (and isolate) the sector.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, a powerful Klingon house has decided to press its advantage and extend its power base. Using Klingon internal politics to deadlock the Klingon High Command, the House of Tahg has launched a pre-emptive invasion of the sector and has destroyed several Federation starships and a number of Starfleet shore installations. Contrary to their usual behavior, the Klingons have taken care to avoid unecessary civilian casualties. Only targets that presented an immediate threat to the invasion forces have been attacked.

A number of freighters have been converted into troop/colony transports, and are landing colonists on worlds within the sector. While the Empire and the Federation negotiate and bicker, the House of Tahg is consolidating power and seizing territory (including planets scheduled to be colonized, but not yet occupied, by the Federation).

Tahg's intention is to grab as much as they can in the chaos and confusion, give back only what they have to, and invoke the Organian Treaty to prevent hostilities from going too far. Because the invasion does not represent a sanctioned effort by the Klingon government, it is not technically covered by the Organian Treaty (at least according to one or more Trek novels). So far, the Organians have failed to respond either to the provocation or to the Federation's inquiries.

My friend and I disagree on the ultimate outcome. It is my contention that there are enough pragmatists (and craven state department types) to decide that the provocation (and seizure of territory) is too minor to upset the status quo, and would allow the Klingons to invoke the treaty and keep the colonies rather than go to war. Especially since the Klingon-Romulan treaty might bring the Romulans into the conflict.

It is my friend's contention that the Federation would never cave to such actions (as a matter of principle), and that short of Organian intervention, the Federation will bring to bear whatever force is necessary and drive the Klingons out of the sector.

There is precedent in either case. In the War of 1812, the fledgling United States allowed Britain to use military force to seize the Fort Astoria, Washington area and drive out the American trappers and settlers there.

On the other hand, American military forces were adamant about liberating all American territories and property seized by the Japanese in World War Two (whether there was an immediate strategic need to do so or not).

It might also boil down to the ability (or lack thereof) to do anything about it. My take is that although the Federation in the 23rd century is a young and powerful giant, but is unwilling to flex her might too quickly or decisively.

What do you think? Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well, I've always seen the Star Fleet of the 23rd Century as very hawkish, with a Bull Halsey-like attitude consistently interspersed. I'm not sure they'd wait for negotiations to vigorously defend Federation interests.

If the Organians show no interest in stopping skirmishes between Star Fleet and the House of Tagh, then Starfleet Command would immediately step in with force.

Just my opinion.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

It has to be said that yes, the Organians can step in if they so chose, but I doubt the Federation would sit back and not do anything, in case they got annoyed: The Organian treaty was enforced, neither side was very happy about it!

Star Fleet is a different animal in this era. Depending on where this piece of space is would make a difference.. Captains out on the rim have a lot of autonomy, and I suspect any Fleet captain of this era (I'm thinking Kirk here) would shoot first and let the diplomats sort it out. Or that said try and think of another, tactical route, to win

it's fairly clear from several minor skirmishes and indeed the cessasion of the treaty during DS9, that it was probably more of a threat to get them to stop fighting than something that would last until the end of time. it's not really clear if the Organians EVER came back

In terms of the location, while I think the Federation could trust the Klingons to kill off the Orions, i am not sure if they would stand back and let the Klingons enslave a people.. If it as protectorate, then it is within their mandate to.. protect it!
    Ta Muchly

Sorry, shoulda been more specific: Starfleet is mobilizing. Surviving elements of Starfleet operating in the sector, and out of nearby Starbase 15, are already executing their war orders.
    Because of a severe storm that swept the sector in previous weeks, SF operating forces in the sector were caught more or less with their pants down. A Belknap class cruiser, the USS Maturin, and numerous freighters and transports have already died, and the Ascension class dreadnaught USS Tai Shan is missing.
    Sector defense has fallen to TF 15.3, the Remora Class USS Crusader, reinforced with the Knox Class USS Aylwin and the Larson Class USS Greth. Additional sailings are imminent, but many of the ships were either out of position or under repair.

Intel indicates that the Klingons managed to surge two D-7 cruisers, four K'Teremny Class destroyers, a half dozen Raptors and an even dozen modified freighters into the sector.

Klingon and Federation forces all along the border are mobilizing (just in case), but the fighting thus far has been limited to the Corridor itself. Federation and Klingon representatives are in meetings and the Federation Council is in emergency session, but the Klingons are denying any knowledge of the operation.

Starfleet is girding for war, waiting for the other shoe to drop, and is conducted unrestricted warfare against military targets within the Corridor.

My question is- once the Klingons sue for peace, will the bureaucrats sacrifice the colonies to buy peace or allow the hawks a free hand.

My guess is that Starfleet would be free to recapture all lost territory then have to stop give up the initive to the diplomats to settle it all.
    Draftsmen in Training

Depending on how far on the frontier these hostile events are occuring would impact the possible actions of Starfleet. Elsewhere on the border they may be taking up defense of positions getting ready battlegroups to prepare to assualt or to counteract possible offensive groups sent by the klingons . . . but out on the frontier . . . where communication is slow in coming . . . and where lives are at stake . . . thigns are far different.

The local situation takes precidence . . . and as you have said a non-government hostile klingon force has conducted offensive actions against Federation forces and holdings within that local region.

I would suggest that the local authorities would attempt to consolidate their available forces and assets as to increase those forces ability to protect federation interest from further losses. Attempt to assess the enemy's positions and abilities. And begin a recon in force to attempt to weaken the local klingons resolve to continue the offensive. After that . . . I would suggest that local forces attack the hostile forces war fighting abilities . . . attacking supply depots . . . supply lines . . . and other logistic abilities . . . thus lessening the duration which the hostile force can continue hostilities.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Who is 'Starfleet' here?

My advice: take the differing sides of the issue, give them characters (pcs or npcs) and bring the arguement into the game. Let the decision be made there.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Well, I've always seen the Star Fleet of the 23rd Century as very hawkish, with a Bull Halsey-like attitude consistently interspersed. I'm not sure they'd wait for negotiations to vigorously defend Federation interests.

If the Organians show no interest in stopping skirmishes between Star Fleet and the House of Tagh, then Starfleet Command would immediately step in with force.

Just my opinion.
    I concur, FWIW.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Okay, well my 0.5d's worth...

There's several mentions in novels and the like that Organian intervention in 'fringe' areas is a grey area at best, plus, as mentioned also in novels, (as well as earlier) there's doubt as to whether they're still prepared/around to interfere...

As to whether Starfleet 'would' take military action, well, I like the idea of letting the players make that call, though you know your crew best, if I left this sort of decision to my players they’d have three whole fleets there ASAP to wipe the floor & start a wholesale war… (Bloodthirsty lot that they are!)

Any political group will hedge their bets regarding military action, however, if this is one house operating outside Klingon ‘sanctioned’ authority, and there have already been Starfleet losses, (and as already pointed out, this era in Trek was somewhat more military) I could see a punitive expedition being sent in, especially if there are Federation civilians currently on the worlds the Klingons have taken.

Could you imagine this sort of thing on the FNS?

‘Federation Citizens Held On Captured World By Klingon Barbarians!’

The treatment of prisoners by Klingons has gotta be a touchy subject, and you’ve got to consider the impact prisoners have on the press and civilian population… Their safety becomes a prime consideration, ‘especially’ for politicians up for re-election!

Consider a hypothetical scenario in real life…

2000+ US Civilians at a beach resort somewhere are taken prisoner in a local coup… what would the reaction of the US Press, US Congress, US House of Representatives & US Public be if those people weren’t immediately and safely released, but held?

There’d be a unanimous outcry and a call for action. ‘What’ action is taken is debatable, but you can bet the CIA and black ops teams would already be en-route by the time the sun set following the coup.

Switching back to Trek… I can see Intelligence mobilising (After being castigated for letting the ball be dropped on this one in the first place) and getting listening posts set up, as well as a couple of covert ships in place ASAP, as well as a couple of scout ships doing deep recons for more info as well.

Missions into occupied territory could take many game sessions up, and depending on the success of those missions (If the PC’s run them even better) you could hinge how much the Klingons get to keep on the success of their intelligence gathering

Just my ha’pennys worth.
    Last edited by Sundowner; 03-02-2006 at 06:24 AM.
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Another possible angle on this could be the treaty it's self.. what if you played it from the other side as well... The Klingons have a tenuous treaty with the Federation during this era, and it's in the prelude to the full treaty that we saw because of the events of the Narendra II masacre.. However...

What if the players take the bold move of inviting the Klingons to interceed? The Klingon houses are no doubt up in arms about all of this, and would likelly consider it a matter of honour and an 'internal matter' to deal with rebelious elements within their ranks. In the reverse the Klingons used a display of outrage when Kirk (alegedly) killed Chancelor Gorkon; perhaps they could flip that on it's head and enrage some or all of the houses in the reverse?

On the flip side to that also.. what if another house(s) turns up with a small fleet of it's own, intent on settling the matter, being an 'internal matter' the Klingons will keep that fact close to their chest, so the PC's might not even realise they are there to 'help'. Depending on the timing of it all, it could lead to some tense moments!
    Ta Muchly

Keeping the Organians out is trivial. Although the Federation may not be generally aware of it, the Organians (and races like them) have their own concerns, most of which never bear on simple corporeal life. They interact with other races at their level of evolution just as the corporeal races interact. Most of those races remain undiscovered. They'd get involved if the conflict escalated; just like we might let the dogs nip at each other for awhile, but would interfere if their fight got serious.

Of course, the treaty is new, so at least one factor into the scale of the conflict would be care over exactly how far one might go without drawing attention. A couple of things to decide: how serious of a threat does Tahg consider the Organians? That informs how far they are likely to escalate the conflict. What does Tahg hope to get out of this? If territory and wealth, they won't go as far as if it is, for example, they're after the throne. On the other side of it, how serious of a threat do the other Klingons consider the Organians? If they regard the Organians as very dangerous, they might easily be persuaded to bring military force against Tahg to preserve the empire's position - the Organians are unlikely to make distinctions among factions within a race if they elect to act.

While Starfleet takes a firm position towards aggressors against the Federation, the Federation contains peace loving race like the Vulcans. Those races doubtless pushed for strong civilian control over the military. So you have to decide what the Federation's civilian stance is, as this will have a lot to do with the military stance. And although this hasn't happened yet, do keep in mind that during the DS9 era, the Federation exchanged colonies with the Cardassians to keep the peace. They did insist the colonists be allowed to leave if they wished, but did not insist on it. That suggests an ethos that regards people highly, property less so - so the Tahg strategy of not attacking civilians might create division within the Council, and a corresponding paralysis of the military - unless some rogue commander takes action on his own.