Thread: Have anyone thought....

Have anyone thought....

Hi all. Has anyone thought about putting all of the ideas and work (I mean writing done) into a PDF? I'm a member of another site and there we do it all the time. So far, there has been at least 10 fan made PDFs.

At www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon you will find a great bunch of fanmade netbooks from people around here - including me
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Thanks, but what I meant (sorry my spelling is bad today) was Taking material from here and making new fan books. Say, maybe a Species of Star Trek book. Or maybe an Overlay book.

Good or bad idea?

I got you in the first place, so obviously my spelling is bad

Many of the netbooks there are based upon ideas, etc. expressed and discussed here, although not solely.
    However of course your idea is great as well - you would just need the permission of all those who posted. I would like to help, but real life is a bitch to me lately and therefore I do not have the time, sorry.
    However in case you find anything useful from my person, posted here, feel free to add it to your pdf.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

You have my permission to use any material that may have originated from me. Just credit me by name ;-)

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Same go's for me, but also provide a link to where this article may be found.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I have to ask . . . how far back are we archived here? How many Gigs have we accumulated?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk
    At www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon you will find a great bunch of fanmade netbooks from people around here - including me
    The old Trek-rpg.net site is up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabit Rane
    Thanks, but what I meant (sorry my spelling is bad today) was Taking material from here and making new fan books. Say, maybe a Species of Star Trek book. Or maybe an Overlay book.

Good or bad idea?
    One problem with that is if some changes their species or overlay it means 'cracking' open the PDF or find the original file to change it. Also if some one only need a one or a few species from a fan book, then they will still have to down load the whole PDF when PDF can be a pain and all. The content management system (CMS) were are planning to use allow for you to generate a PDF from any item, although there is some opinion that we might not keep that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk
    <snip> However of course your idea is great as well - you would just need the permission of all those who posted.
    While the forum's Terms of service gives TrekRPGnet license from the members to use their post in most any way, my orders when putting the material in the CMS is to still ask for permission. We are consider using the Creative Commons licenses with modification to indicated whether or not the creator wishes to have it used in any aggregated document or off TrekRPGnet.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    I have to ask . . . how far back are we archived here? How many Gigs have we accumulated?
    Forums alone was estimated at 200 MB when I inquired (August 2004) about purchasing the site. Right now - not sure. In the Icon forums threads going back to 2000 are still up.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

I do remember that once there was a project to create a fanbook based on worlds and civilizations that some of the forum members submitted.

I remember because (IIRC) I submitted three or four planets of my own, and did some proofreading for other people's worlds.

It kind of petered out, though.

Still, I kept my stuff around (although in the interest of privacy and copyright issues, I eventually deleted the other folks' work from my computer), and if such a resource book would get going again, I'd happily resubmit it.

And one day, I really should get back to working on "SliderTrek."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Well first and foremost I would never use anything someone already did without their permission. Its just rude and wrong. Kind of like stealing.

But what i'm thing about is PDFs on aliens, planets, governments, and cultures. Rules for Icon and Coda. And any other game systems for ST.

If there's someone seriously considering doing this project, I'll freely contribute my planets/species.

As word documents. I'm no good at layout, or making pdf's with sidebars and all that.

If I had time, I'd learn to do it, because it would be very cool. But I don't.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

But what i'm thing about is PDFs on aliens, planets, governments, and cultures. Rules for Icon and Coda. And any other game systems for ST.
    As an option, you could send stuff as you finish it to the Beyond the Final Frontier webzine. The issues have been fairly thin of late, and I know GandalfofBorg is always open to new content. As the webzine continues, I bet he'd be willing to do compilation issues (worlds only, or ships only, or whatever).

Just a thought. He has a great layout artist and a regular release schedule. Might be a good way to get your work out there.

Great idea!

Yeah, lets do it! (Note, right now I'm just to wrapped up to do a full PDF myself, but with help....hehe....)

Yeah, lets do it! (Note, right now I'm just to wrapped up to do a full PDF myself, but with help....hehe....)
    Yeah, sending stuff to GoB means you don't have to put a whole PDF together. You can do a short article here and there and then build up to doing a full PDF.