Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Stats for Constitution Class Refit

Lightbulb

Here you go:
    Constitution-refit

(Ignore the first page. Thanks to Doug Burke for his help with this.)

This is a very pure refit that sticks with canon information and is essentially derived from a Constitution (ST:TOS RPG) upgrade.

Enjoy!

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Not bad. About the only places we really disagree upon are the areas that I had to guess at, weapon ranges, speed (had figures for that), number of torps (off by 30), I would think that if the Miranda-class had an ad photorp launcher then the Big-E would as well and deflector shield were close to. Can't see craming an additional 3000 people aboard though. Not that big, thats almost the capacity of an Ambassador-class.

Thanks Don for the reply and stats just intime for the game..phew!!!!!
    Talk to you guys later

------------------
    Korga =/\=

I'm Drunk of Borg Resistance is Floortile.

There's only one thing wrong with the stats Don posted - The uprated Constitutions have aft phasers. There's a pair quite plainly visible above the hangar deck. Further, the four phasers on the bottom of the secondary hull can also fire aft.

Red face

Woops. I already corrected that error once -- I just didn't upload the correct PDF. The Constitution refits most certainly have aft phasers (ST:TM v1.i12.p34, Art of ST p158) so alter the coverage to 360 degrees.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

You mean 720<sup>o</sup>...

Which brings me to one of my big questions about the ICON system. Why 720<sup>o</sup>? Oh, I know it's supposed to be 360<sup>o</sup> in upper and lower arcs, but as far as I can determine from reading and rereading the basic starship combat rules, they are a simple 2D system with no need for this complication. I know you weren't involved with LUG at the time the basic rules were written, but any comment you or perhaps Steve Long can make (or anyone else with a page citation) could make would be appreciated.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarge:
    Calguard, I'll take your bet. Gene Roddenberry was a naval aviator.

</font>
    Send me the $50.

Gene was a lot of things to Star Trek, but he was never a military consultant or advisor.

I admit when I wrote that I was thinking mostly of TNG, DS9 and VOY.

TOS actually does get some things right, and GR would have been working under the handicap of military ceremony being unfasionable at the time...

To stay somewhat OT, the only reason I can think for the 720* coverage notation is for narrators who run ship combat by the seat of their pants.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

[This message has been edited by calguard66 (edited 05-01-2001).]

The "360 by 360 = 720" thing has always bugged me. What we are really talking about is the surface area of a sphere right? That is, we have an imaginary sphere around the ship, what % of its surface area can the phasers hit - hopefully if you designed your ship right 100% is 'hittable' at least one phaser.

Surface area of a sphere is A=4*pi*r^2

Or "4-pie-r-squared" if you want to say it.

Now, one could say that an object is 120 in the "x-axis" degrees by 90 "y-axis" degrees and 4 klicks away. But saying that somethings is at 635 degrees and 4 clicks away has no meaning.

------------------
    TK

A difference, at least a possible one, is that TOS phasers were fired at warp speed quite often. 'Balance of Terror' is an example.

The reason for the "old-style" phaser designation was an assumption, probably a bad one in the light of Spacedock, that the phasers of yesteryear would be designated the same as the phasers of today, but would do less damage, etc. because they were older. That version of the Constitution Class was done very near the beginning of this website and well before the release of the original series game; the version in that game is obviously "canon" insofar as the RPG is concerned and mine, sadly, is not

Allen

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pesterfield:
    A difference, at least a possible one, is that TOS phasers were fired at warp speed quite often. 'Balance of Terror' is an example.</font>
    That has been retconned by the newer series as being essentially an error. Phasers can't be fired at warp speed. I rationalize this by assuming that the 23rd century vid producer who translated the Enterprise's logs into a vidshow decided it would be more dramatic to have the battle occur at warp speed, much the same way that things happen on cops shows in our time that make real cops wince (or laugh)

Allen

Don, nice layout on the Endeavor.

Karg