Thread: Excuse me while I reboot...

Talking Excuse me while I reboot...

So I tend to use my notebook as kind of a backup for my multimedia files on my desktop pc...

I accidentally delete all the music files from the notebook - oops. Recycling bin isn't big enough. Fair enough, my bad. The files are all still on the desktop. Start copying them from the desktop to the notebook. It'll take about three hours.

Ninety minutes into the process, the notebook apparently downloads an update from Microsoft and decides this would be a good time to reboot. I'm in another room as I hear the shutdown music on the notebook.

I write software for a living. If I were going to make a computer automatically reboot, I'd make certain that the computer wasn't in the middle of something.

I love Windows... I now have nightmares of someday being in a hospital, hooked up to life support run by a Windows machine. Which decides to reboot for some critical updates...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

F-Disk, Format, Reinstall, do-da do-da
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Strange that... I thought Windows update asked confirmation before rebooting.

Now I'm really sure I'll keep my setting on Windows Update to ask me if I want to download / install new updates (and stick with Windows 2000 so far as well).

BTW Dan, did you lose any file because of the reboot ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

That is odd, but then I always get the thing to ask me before doing any updates, call me paranoid, but I have to agree, why trust Windows!?

Newbies just don't understand, but when you've been around Microsoft Products long enough your trust level goes down. Saving, for me, is like a nervous twitch now!
    Ta Muchly

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Microsoft does make you paranoid, updates for me are on a confirmation only setting, not auto.

I now have nightmares of someday being in a hospital, hooked up to life support run by a Windows machine. Which decides to reboot for some critical updates...
    This reminds me of the old joke about Bill Gates selling advertising space on the blue screen of death...

...because it pops up so much
    Last edited by Sundowner; 03-02-2006 at 06:21 AM.
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Didn't lose anything - it was just a huge annoyance. With an amusing side - I was in the kitchen doing the dishes when I heard the infamous shutdown sound...

I think what happened is it popped up a little icon saying - "I've downloaded some stuff and am going to reboot in 5 minutes unless you stop me" - I've run into that with my work pc. Since no one was actually sitting there, it rebooted.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I know sometimes admins can set PC's to reboot from an external command accross the server, but I hadn't seen the auto-reboot feature before myself.. Very odd!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Saving, for me, is like a nervous twitch now!
    As it is for me, but I didn't need Windows for that... a temperamental electrical installation did the trick for me
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Don't talk to me about tempramental electrics.. My old machineblew on Christmas, I waited 3 weeks for a new one.. and a week later almost every component failed! Still not sure how! Fortunatelly THAT one was under warantee!
    Ta Muchly

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by C5
    As it is for me, but I didn't need Windows for that... a temperamental electrical installation did the trick for me
    I got that particular nervous twitch from the PowerMacs I used to work with.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I think I got my router ratted out on me all the bad things I said about Windows and paid the price...

I got home, turn on the Tivo so Vicki can watch "Go Diego Go!". Reading Tivo messages.... Warns me it could not connect to the network (it is hooked up via wireless network). Start Diego and take a peek at the router. All the lights were off. Tried different outlets and everything - no life.

I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories but just in case... Mr Gates, sir, I'm very sorry I said bad things about that fine Windows product...

(Up again after a quick trip to Best Buy...)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel