Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Creation

Smile

Well in answer to your question on the stats I did the roll nine times take away the three lowest. I rolled:

Psi starts at 4

Then as I said the character had 18 advancements based on the number of years in starfleet.

They don't really tell you what average in a skill is so I focused on purchasing Professional Abilities and edges.

Edit*** Oh yeah, and what's wrong with Mind Control? Trust me, it fits with the character. I take it none of you would allow your players to have it. In order to understand something, it helps if you study it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    Edit*** Oh yeah, and what's wrong with Mind Control? Trust me, it fits with the character. I take it none of you would allow your players to have it. In order to understand something, it helps if you study it.
    Well, it might be in keeping with the character, but it's certainly not in the best tradition of Starfleet. Things like that, in Star Trek at least, tend to bend back and bite you in the ass unless you're supremely careful.

As for "average" in a skill, the lowest effective rating in a skill is +1, and the highest you can have is a +12 (not counting bonuses from Professional Abilities, specializations, and Edges). The "average" there is 6.5, so either +6 or +7, depending on how you look at it. Most of the iconic characters in the Narrator's Guide have substantially fewer Edges and Professional Abilities, and substantially higher Skills, than your example. Most of your skills don't look like they're much higher than those of a starting ensign.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing how this character looked before you advanced him, just to see where he started and how he got to what he looks like now.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Well, it might be in keeping with the character, but it's certainly not in the best tradition of Starfleet. Things like that, in Star Trek at least, tend to bend back and bite you in the ass unless you're supremely careful.

As for "average" in a skill, the lowest effective rating in a skill is +1, and the highest you can have is a +12 (not counting bonuses from Professional Abilities, specializations, and Edges). The "average" there is 6.5, so either +6 or +7, depending on how you look at it. Most of the iconic characters in the Narrator's Guide have substantially fewer Edges and Professional Abilities, and substantially higher Skills, than your example. Most of your skills don't look like they're much higher than those of a starting ensign.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing how this character looked before you advanced him, just to see where he started and how he got to what he looks like now.
    I'm curious, if the average is 6 or 7 then why do you get so few skills at such low numbers then?

It doesn't make much sense to me.

I didn't design the system, I just work here.

My personal theory, based on how things worked for me when I was in the Air Force, is that going through technical training, et al, doesn't spit you out with average levels. It spits you out with beginner's levels, and the knowledge to learn more. You don't start out as a master, or even a journeyman...you start out as an apprentice, and you build to those next levels. Same can be said to be true for Professions in the game.

Now, what the designers were thinking as they were putting together the system, I can't tell you for sure. But it does seem to model the reality I've worked in for the past 20 years or so, and the reality I've worked in seems to mirror the system pretty well, too. Starting characters are just that: starting characters. From my experience, both in the real world and in gaming for 25+ years, that's what this system (which is pretty generous in that regard, IMO) gives you.

I can understand that, but when you watch the show, no one wants to play joe smoe ensign fresh out of the Academy, they want to be the CO, FO, CMO, etc... Even using the system I find it confusing to build these characters. From what I gather then, skills must not be overly important.

Seems to me that LUG had a better skill system. Maybe I am wrong, I will have to try this one first, but from character creation and the show, it seems LUG ICON system was closer to the show than CODA.

I can understand that, but when you watch the show, no one wants to play joe smoe ensign fresh out of the Academy, they want to be the CO, FO, CMO, etc... Even using the system I find it confusing to build these characters. From what I gather then, skills must not be overly important.
    On the contrary, skills are extremely important. Most of the important things you need to do on a starship, for instance, can't be performed untrained; you have to have some degree of skill in order to do it. You're not going to be a master just coming out of the Academy; you have to train further to get that kind of skill.

And while it's true that not everyone wants to play Ensign Schmoe, that's not universal...and even looking at the shows, Pavel Chekov, Wesley Crusher, Nog, and Harry Kim all did okay for themselves (though, for this sort of example, the two best examples are Pavel and Harry). The designers recognized this, and included rules for creating more experienced characters at start of game.
    Seems to me that LUG had a better skill system. Maybe I am wrong, I will have to try this one first, but from character creation and the show, it seems LUG ICON system was closer to the show than CODA.
    I don't tend to agree; ICON gave me a headache every time I tried to make the damn thing work. I think CODA is a much better system, and much more in the spirit of the shows and films.

That said, though, there's nothing keeping you from going back to it...there is, in fact, a thriving ICON community out there. If you don't like CODA, there's nothing forcing you to use it. If you decide to stick with it, though, there's a bunch of us here who'll be more than happy to help you make it work.

I can understand that, but when you watch the show, no one wants to play joe smoe ensign fresh out of the Academy, they want to be the CO, FO, CMO, etc...
    Of course they want that, but it can be so much more fun letting the players start as beginners, who then have to work their way up, developing their skills and building relations with the other PCs and NPCs. Imagine the difference between a starting-Captain calling his "Contact"-Admiral for support, and a Captain who was roleplayed over several years (in game time), asking his former CO, old friend, and mentor, now Admiral in command of the 22nd fleet, for help. The game can be much deeper and much more enjoyable this way.
    Even using the system I find it confusing to build these characters. From what I gather then, skills must not be overly important.
    Are you talking about creating advanced characters, or CODA characters in general? Anyway, yes, it can be confusing to create your first CODA characters, but you will get used to it. And considering the freedom the CODA system gives you compared to ICON, that is a small price. In my opinion, the ICON system allowed almost no customization of you characters. All members of the same branch/profession were very much alike. Unless you were playing a non-human, most your attributes were at two and apart from maybe one or two exclusive skills, everybody else (with the same profession) could do the same things you could. You WERE Joe Shmoe!

Regarding the imprtance of skills: Just take a look at the target number table. If you consider replacing old isolinear chips or treating bruises a worthy challenge for your character, then a skill of 3 will be sufficient. Now, if you want your character to safe the universe, then, maybe, higher skills will be neccessary.
    And it's cheaper.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Thanks for the insight guys.

I have every intention of trying the CODA system, I just find it difficult to create the command crew of a Federation ship, which is what my group likes to play.

Is there an easier or a set way to create command staff characters?

How do you create a character that was in say Security or Engineering before become a command level officer?

I find the profession part of character creation a bit confusing when it comes to creating a character like that.

I have every intention of trying the CODA system, I just find it difficult to create the command crew of a Federation ship, which is what my group likes to play.
    What are you finding difficult? The freeform way that characters advance? This is one of the hardest things for some people to get their head around after some other games. Basically, the system doesn't decide for you what you do as you advance; you do. I've attached a couple of PDFs to this note to show you my basic character generation summary, and the character sheet I wind up with after that example runs its course.
    Is there an easier or a set way to create command staff characters?
    Not really. It's not hard, once you get the feel for it. If you could be more specific about what it is you're finding difficult, I'll try to come up with a simple explanation. I've been practicing with that a lot in this game lately.
    How do you create a character that was in say Security or Engineering before become a command level officer?
    Well, they'd start in the appropriate Starship Officer elite profession, and during their advancements at chargen, they'd cross into the Command Officer elite profession. The Starship Officer Elite Professions work just the same as the elite professions shown later in the book.
    I find the profession part of character creation a bit confusing when it comes to creating a character like that.
    It sounds to me like you might be making it harder on yourself than you need to. Ask more questions, we'll give you more answers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I will look these over and post back after I try my hand at making a few more characters.

You guys are a big help, thanks for being so patient and helpful.

Those are fairly nice guides there! it's just quite timetaking to create a high level character in this system, which is frustrating for a GM! We could have done with a larger range of sample NPC's in the NG.. have a dozen extremelly low skill people and then Captain Kirk's BIO is not a good spread of samples Unfortunatelly it would just be a lot of work to make some!!
    Ta Muchly

I will look these over and post back after I try my hand at making a few more characters.

You guys are a big help, thanks for being so patient and helpful.
    So what's the actual character concept?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    So what's the actual character concept?
    The character concept for the Captain is:

A Betazoid who has spent most of their career in Security and involved heavily in Starfleet Intelligence. The character has been to Romulus and Cardassia Prime several times to infiltrate the Tal Shiar, Tal Dainn, and the Obsidean Order. Also the character has been a member of Section 31 who has done some things they are not proud of. (Hense the mind control).

Eventually the character quit section 31 and switched from Security to Command.

The character concept for the Captain is:

A Betazoid who has spent most of their career in Security and involved heavily in Starfleet Intelligence. The character has been to Romulus and Cardassia Prime several times to infiltrate the Tal Shiar, Tal Dainn, and the Obsidean Order. Also the character has been a member of Section 31 who has done some things they are not proud of. (Hense the mind control).

Eventually the character quit section 31 and switched from Security to Command.
    What motivated them to join Starfleet? What attracted Section 31 to them? Did they really let them go?

Yeah that's a rather long and complicated careeer, and to be honest, while technically possible would take a lot of explaining away, or a lot of lying! Don't forget Section 31 is NOT part of Starfleet, they operate outside it's laws (and barelly within Federation law) Yes, some within Section 31 are within Starfleet, but then why would one of those use his resources and contacts to let that person become a Starfleet officer, especially if he left!?!

From that brief description, you need to put a lot more work in your backstory for the Captain, than you do any character points on his BIO!
    Ta Muchly