Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Creation

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Those are fairly nice guides there!
    Glad you like them. I've been meaning to dust those off and get them out to the public for a while now (and they'll eventually be made pretty and put up on Decipher's website, too, or at least that's the plan).
    it's just quite timetaking to create a high level character in this system, which is frustrating for a GM!
    You're preaching to the choir. Remember, I don't just volunteer my time to edit this thing, I play it too (or I try to; time's been tight lately). One of my principal NPCs is a 43-advancement starbase commander. Talk about a pain in the butt to construct...but that's what we're stuck with at the moment. If I get the chance in my copious unstructured free time, I'll see if I can't come up with an easier way.
    We could have done with a larger range of sample NPC's in the NG.. have a dozen extremelly low skill people and then Captain Kirk's BIO is not a good spread of samples Unfortunatelly it would just be a lot of work to make some!!
    I might still do something like this for website content; I know it's been brought up by the volunteer corps before, so it's definitely something that's worth looking into.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    The "average" there is 6.5, so either +6 or +7, depending on how you look at it.
    Actually, 6 is considered "professional level" or (in the case of languages) "native fluency" in a skill...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, 6 is considered "professional level" or (in the case of languages) "native fluency" in a skill...
    I stand corrected, then. *scribbles notes to self*

Maybe, in order to provide some guidance and speed up the process of advanced character creation, someone, or some game company (this would be worth paying for), could create some profession-specific advancement packages, like in the Tour of Duties in The Price of Freedom (if I am not mistaken).

It could look like this:

Romulan Neutral Zone Patrol Duty
    Prerequisites: Command Officer, Rank: Commander+, ...
    Description: You were stationed in one of the sectors bordering the RNZ ...
    Benefits: Language: Romulan +2, Shrewd, ... and select 2 from the following or roll 1d6 and consult table xx.
    Duration: 2 years
    Costs: 10 picks

And no, I won't do it, at least not at the moment. I'd have to refamiliarize myself with the rules, first, and I'm occupied with preparations for my exams.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Maybe, in order to provide some guidance and speed up the process of advanced character creation, someone, or some game company (this would be worth paying for), could create some profession-specific advancement packages, like in the Tour of Duties in The Price of Freedom (if I am not mistaken).

FYI:

There are some packs for advancement by Doug Burke features in issue # 7 of Beyond the Final Frontier netzine.

In another thread (http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...gic+operations) I have posted some of my ideas for advancement and enhanced character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    FYI:

There are some packs for advancement by Doug Burke features in issue # 7 of Beyond the Final Frontier netzine.
    Not really advancement packages. More of an adaptation of the FASA Post-Academy Experience process to CODA...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Not really advancement packages. More of an adaptation of the FASA Post-Academy Experience process to CODA...
    Whatever we call it, I thought it might help here

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Whatever we call it, I thought it might help here
    Makes sense. I'll be using it in my next game...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Yeah that's a rather long and complicated careeer, and to be honest, while technically possible would take a lot of explaining away, or a lot of lying! Don't forget Section 31 is NOT part of Starfleet, they operate outside it's laws (and barelly within Federation law) Yes, some within Section 31 are within Starfleet, but then why would one of those use his resources and contacts to let that person become a Starfleet officer, especially if he left!?!

From that brief description, you need to put a lot more work in your backstory for the Captain, than you do any character points on his BIO!
    The Character never left Starfleet, I think that's what is confusing you. She always pretended to be a member of Starfleet Intelligence. With classified files it doesn't need any real explaining away.

As I said, it was easy to create this character in the ICON system, but I find it almost impossible to create it with CODA.

That is where I need the help.

If you can roll up the character in the Icon System it should be easy to convert to Coda (I believe Don has a conversion guide).
    Doc

Dammit Jim, I'm a Tuba Player, Not a .....!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    The Character never left Starfleet, I think that's what is confusing you. She always pretended to be a member of Starfleet Intelligence. With classified files it doesn't need any real explaining away.

As I said, it was easy to create this character in the ICON system, but I find it almost impossible to create it with CODA.

That is where I need the help.
    Let's start at the beginning, then. Where are you having specific difficulties?

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Let's start at the beginning, then. Where are you having specific difficulties?
    Well as I said before, with such a convoluted history I find I end up with a character that looks as I've shown you earlier in the thread. The skills look really low and not the right kind.

For instance, in the ICON version, the character has knowledge of Romulus, Cardassia Prime, a bit of their history, Languages, and culture to properly fit in while doing undercover work. That's in addition to what she has in way of her own culture and history and stuff.

I just find that the process of creating these backgrounds or Tours of Duty difficult. Maybe if the CODA system had those.

Here's an Idea, I'll post the ICON version of the character and maybe you could help me create it in CODA. Would that be better? That way we could go through the process together.

Fire it up, though my ICON is way, way rusty....

Incidentally, Silverstreak, here's my version of a similar character that I put together for my own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    If you'll look at pages 41-42 of the Starfleet Operations Manual, you'll find a number of "advancement packages" based on service in specific fleets/on specific ships. It's possible that some of the upcoming books will have similar packages, though I haven't seen anything on that yet. But I think it's the sort of thing that fits your description, more or less.