Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Character Creation

all my other adobe files work fine. I use acrobat everyday. It seems to be working fine. It's up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    That's what I get is some module problem or something only it won't open. Any way you could try sending it as a word document?
    I'm sorry. Just have the Acrobat Reader and no knowledge about how (if it's possible at all) extract text from a read only PDF and transfer it to a word document... Could print it out and mail it to you the old fashioned way

No, that's ok, but thanks for the offer, I'll fiddle around with it and see if I can get it to work.

Try this link: http://forum.trek-rpg.net/attachment...tachmentid=494

This one has been posted in the CODA/ICON Conversion Issues thread, and it seems to work for me. The other version you have been trying didn't work for me either.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Try this link: http://forum.trek-rpg.net/attachment...tachmentid=494

This one has been posted in the CODA/ICON Conversion Issues thread, and it seems to work for me. The other version you have been trying didn't work for me either.
    Strange, but this one works for me without any pop ups. Thanks, Ergi for showing this and thanks Silverstreak for bringing it up

The conversion sheet works great.

Thanks for the help gang.

My impression (I'm an old LUG Trek fan) is that the move from ICON to CODA was to strip down characters' skills to make the sheet smaller.

Also, CODA's not as intuitive to me as the LUG system.

I will say that I wrestled with CODA for some days trying to figure out what the hell is going on exactly, when I was able to lay out a LUG Trek PC in an hour after reading the core TOS book.

The 20 step pdf given earlier in this thread helped me out to clear a lot of it up.

Definitely, I like the CODA space combat better, and the way it integrates characters skills into it.

Thanks for clearing up the CODA generation, to all.
    Last edited by LUGTrekGM; 04-12-2006 at 04:35 AM.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    My impression (I'm an old LUG Trek fan) is that the move from ICON to CODA was to strip down characters' skills to make the sheet smaller.
    Actually, no. The skills section is about the same size as ICON was. Some skills have been simplified or modified, but the number of skills was not drastically reduced.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I would agree that the Vanila version of Coda (not including fan suplements on the boards here) is not easy to use to create a semi-advanced character. The Starfleet Officers manual shoul dhave had a sample of 'tours' to build advanced characters, but what it has is... meh

However it is FAR easier to make a vanila character. As has been stated more sussinctly by Owen, Skill ablation is a huge probem in ICON: If you get overlapping skills it's a nasty mess, and trying to calculate, after the fact, how many skill points each player had, I realised it was not even, so I had to hand out free points, which were then hard to work out!!

In many ways I did prefer the old specialities, but working them out became a headache, and I'm so glad they ditched the 'tricorder' skill in Coda
    Ta Muchly

What's your beef with Tricorder skill?
    - LUGTrekGM

.. That it exists

As a skill you had to take Personal Equiptment: Tricorder to be able to use it, in that respect it was annoying because it was the only thing you could use with that skill.

In Coda you use a Tricorder to give you bonuses to the relevant Skill: For example, you are analysing some rocks, so because the Tricorder has geological data, you get a +5 bonus to that skill (that and a Tricorder can see through the rock, which you can't! ) Your skill in that particular field is the ultimate decider, the tricorder just gives you a bonus. This makes more sense, from the point of view that trek technology is meant to be user friendly, and really it is all designed in the same way'

From the TNG Technical manual: you could theoretically walk down the coridoor of the ship, holding a PADD, which was interfaced in to the ships computer, and fly the ship. In ICON, that skill test would be Personal equiptment (Padd), in Coda, that skill test would be System Operations (Conn) (with a situational penalty because you are doing it from a PADD!!!) - the latter, to me makes much more sense, because it is your skill at the task you are doing which is the deciding factor, not how good you are at using the equiptment you are doing it on. How suited the equiptment is to the task at hand would impose a penalty, respectivelly, or in ICON raise the difficulty (which is the same thing really) but that's not the same thing.
    Ta Muchly

Ah. A good example.

In our case, we used the FASA Tricorders / Interactive display, with a roll for accuracy of data, based on Tricorder skill.

Actual geology skill or engineering metallurgy came in when a character was scanning something underghround, or really diffifult.

NG Tech guide aside, I wouldn't allow someone with a PADD to fly the ship, period. That's why they make the bridge it's own area. If the above were true, all you'd need was a high-tech PADD from some DTI group in the future to drop it off in the past, for the use of ship captains, or perhaps put a really advanced one into the head of the PC as a holographic/VR Neural interface.

To me, that's not what Star Trek is about, but others' mileage may vary.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi View Post
    Beat you, Selek.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/azziewat...or_Science.pdf

This was made by PGoodman13. Feel free to let him know, that it would make a lot of sense to have this in the revised Player's Guide.
    Man, that's a long-broken link. I've been trying to get the guys at Dumpshock to reinstate it (they had a lot of database problems a while back), but it hasn't happened yet.

In the meantime, the character generation cheat-sheet is available at the support site shown in my sig.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM View Post
    NG Tech guide aside, I wouldn't allow someone with a PADD to fly the ship, period.
    I think that, technically, you wouldn't be flying the ship with the PADD, you'd just be telling the computer what to do, and if the computer can deal with it then it'll work out. This is all assuming you're not telling it to get you through an ion storm or something.

Of course, I haven't read the NG tech manual in years. The DS9 one has much prettier art.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry