Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Creation

Character Creation

Hey guys.

I have tried and tried and tried to make a character for this friggin game and it is incredible difficult.

There is no chapter specifically designed for character creation.

Does anyone know how to do this and please, explain it like I am 5 years old, because thusfar I cannot seem to grasp it.

There's a cheat sheet floating around that walks you through it step-by-step. I'm looking for the link right now. Worst case, I can e-mail it to you tomorrow.

The book is laid out very poorly in that regard, but it's no where near as hard as it sounds- I promise. Be back to you shortly.!

Quote Originally Posted by selek
    There's a cheat sheet floating around that walks you through it step-by-step. I'm looking for the link right now. Worst case, I can e-mail it to you tomorrow.

The book is laid out very poorly in that regard, but it's no where near as hard as it sounds- I promise. Be back to you shortly.!

Thanks so much dude, I appreciate the help.

Beat you, Selek.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/azziewat...or_Science.pdf

This was made by PGoodman13. Feel free to let him know, that it would make a lot of sense to have this in the revised Player's Guide.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Beat you, Selek.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/azziewat...or_Science.pdf

This was made by PGoodman13. Feel free to let him know, that it would make a lot of sense to have this in the revised Player's Guide.
    Thanks, I'm gonna try and make a charcter right now and see how it goes. I'll then post how it turned out here.

Faster on the draw, but you missed.

I was looking for a different sheet. It's the PDF (I believe Gandalf of Borg is the author). It's not at starbase CODA, but it is at the CODARPG Yahoo web group.

Here's the link:
    HTML Code:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekcodarpg/files/
    I also now have a download I can shoot to you, if you like.

This sheet is different, as it's an actual step-by-step worksheet rather than a step-by-step guide.

Now all I have to do is learn how to upload attachments here !

Hey Mikey!!! I found it!!!!

Any hoo here's the sheet.
    Last edited by selek; 05-29-2010 at 07:04 PM.

do these combine? I don't find this clear.

10. Choose a Personal Development Package for your character (PG, pp. 87-89). This represents the skills he learned in school, whether it was a high school or the school of hard knocks.

During Personal Development, you add two points to one skill, and one point each to three others. You may also choose an Edge for your character at this stage, though you can put off choosing an Edge until the next step if you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    do these combine? I don't find this clear.

10. Choose a Personal Development Package for your character (PG, pp. 87-89). This represents the skills he learned in school, whether it was a high school or the school of hard knocks.

During Personal Development, you add two points to one skill, and one point each to three others. You may also choose an Edge for your character at this stage, though you can put off choosing an Edge until the next step if you choose.
    It's not really combining anything; it's just spelling out what happens during personal development (in essence, repeating what appears in the Player's Guide). When you choose a Personal Development package from the book, it already shows that breakdown. Sorry if there was any confusion.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Not room for it in the PG, I'm afraid, but I did give it to Kieran to make all nice and pretty as a freebie on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    It's not really combining anything; it's just spelling out what happens during personal development (in essence, repeating what appears in the Player's Guide). When you choose a Personal Development package from the book, it already shows that breakdown. Sorry if there was any confusion.
    I see. thanks.

But how do you go about creating the Bridge crew? This game seems to me that the characters have far fewer skills than they did in the ICON system. I am trying to make the Captain of a Federation ship so I know how to make senior staff Bridge officers for a game.

I want the PC's to be the senior staff, but I am afraid after following the steps on that sheet I have a character with little or no skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    I want the PC's to be the senior staff, but I am afraid after following the steps on that sheet I have a character with little or no skills.
    You've got an ensign fresh out of the Academy. Page 96 (going from memory here; it's a picture of Gowron enjoying some blood wine) tells you the basic steps of advancing a character to a higher level of experience. Basically, it's X number of advancements, where X equals the number of years he's been in Starfleet, or what have you. Advancement rules can be found in Chapter 9 (again, going from memory here; my book's at home and I'm not).

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    You've got an ensign fresh out of the Academy. Page 96 (going from memory here; it's a picture of Gowron enjoying some blood wine) tells you the basic steps of advancing a character to a higher level of experience. Basically, it's X number of advancements, where X equals the number of years he's been in Starfleet, or what have you. Advancement rules can be found in Chapter 9 (again, going from memory here; my book's at home and I'm not).

Thank you, the help is awesome.

Ok, this is how it turned out, tell me if this looks right:

Race: Betazoid
    Profession: Starship Officer
    Elite Profession: Command Officer

Professional Abilities:

Starship Duty
    Rounded (Languages)
    Intrepid
    Capable
    Commanding Presence
    Starship Protocol
    Starship Tactics
    Universal Renown
    Command

Attributes:

Strength: 8 (+1)
    Agility: 12 (+3) *
    Intellect: 10 (+2)
    Vitality: 10 (+2)
    Presence: 13 (+3) *
    Perception: 11 (+2)
    Psi: 9 (+1) *

Reactions:

Quickness: +3 (+3 to dodge actions)
    Savvy: +3
    Stamina: +2
    Willpower: +2 (+2 to test results) *

Defense: 10
    Courage: 8

Skills:

Telepathy +4
    Mind Control +2
    Mind Shield +1
    Computer Use (Retrieve) +3
    Influence +1
    Administration +3
    Energy Weapon +5
    Negotiate (Mediate) +5
    Repair +1
    System Operation (Command) +3
    Tactics (Space) +3
    Unarmed Combat (Betazoid Martial Arts) +4
    Culture (Betazoid) +3
    World (Betazed) +3
    World (Earth) +2
    World (Romulas) +2
    History (Betazoid) +3
    History (Federation) +3
    Language (Betazoid) +3
    Language (Federation Standard) +3

Edges:

Improved Telepathy
    Psionic
    Iron Willed
    Psionic Focus (Telepathy)
    Psionic Coverage (Telepathy)
    Promotion 5 (Captain)
    Ambidextrous
    Bold
    Command 2
    Dodge
    Increased Range (Telepathy)
    Fit
    Quickdraw
    Shrewd
    Unyielding

Flaws:

Species Emnity (Breen)

This was based on a total of 18 Advancements after character creation.

* (Favoured attribute or Reaction)

Mind Control ?!?

The attributes seem to high, and the skills way too low. It's difficult to create a rounded character, without a frame of reference. Unfortunately the PG doesn't give you any clues what an experienced officer of a certain branch should look like.
    I suggest using the character write-ups in the NG as a comparison, in case you have it. One of the things we learn there, for example, is that 6 is the typical native language skill level.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Yeah I thought that.. In my (limited) experience, players (and indeed those characters in the NG, also seem like this too) focus on buying skills, rather than attributes, as they are much cheaper. I would say the skills are WAY too low, and the stats are WAY too high.. He also seems to have relativelly too many edges too, and a huge number of professional abilities, but then as a high level character it is likelly he would approach the top of his tree!

Theoretically the Attributes COULD be rolled close to that, but it is quite unlikelly! I can't remember what they are, but you should take a look at exactly what a commanding officer uses on a daily basis, in terms of skills: These are what would increase first, and highest! Also, to round out your character give him a hobby. Almost all officers on the show can do something.. else... Like for example Data with his painting and Violining, or Captain Picard and Archaeology, or Tom Paris with his holodeck software design etc.. In many ways this parallels the 'Major and Minor' system American universities use, and the fact Starfleet encourages 'roundness' in it's candidates. That and you have to fill in a lot of spare hours on a ship!
    Ta Muchly