Thread: BSG: Lay Down Your Burdens

BSG: Lay Down Your Burdens

So can we talk about BSG yet...

The season is over, and the series has been renewed for next season. The final episode has me going ahhh, WTF just happened?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

You Ain't the only one Phoenix !!!
    Draftsmen in Training

"Meh?"

"WTF?"

My reaction was more like... wait, is the show cancelled (at the one year later mark) and then oh **** (at the end). Great episode. I haven't seen any others of season 2, except The Farm, but I'm excited for the DVD release (which hopefully will come soon).
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

The final 30 minutes or so of the season finale really shocked me & threw me for a loop. The writers of this show have a knack of presenting the unexpected.

I expected that Baltar would win the election but never thought Roslyn would attempt to fix that election or get caught doing it.

I was shocked that Cloud 9 was destroyed. Was Richard Hatch's character killed in that explosion?

Who set off the bomb that desroyed that ship? Was it a real Six? I was confused b/c I thought Six only existed in Baltar's mind so was that sex scene supposed to be imaginary or real? If Six is only imaginary was it Baltar who set up that bomb subconciously?

And skipping a year later after Baltar was sworn into office really was unexpected. I wonder why the Cylons decided to let humanity go & then find them again. Was it all a trap from the beginning or did the Cylons change their mind? Six & Sharon seemed to be more benevolent Cylons but now it seems that their benevolence isn't manifested as living in peace w/ humans but b/c they want to take care of humans like pets or wayward children.

I really have no idea what will happen next. The Cylons seemed to have captured the majority of the human refugees who settled on New Caprica. The fleet got away, but how many people were actually on those ships & what can they do in the face of so many Cylons & Basestars?

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    Who set off the bomb that desroyed that ship? Was it a real Six? I was confused b/c I thought Six only existed in Baltar's mind so was that sex scene supposed to be imaginary or real? If Six is only imaginary was it Baltar who set up that bomb subconciously?
    No, it was the version of Six Baltar rescued from the Pegasus. She was hiding out on the Cloud Nine. Baltar sent her the nuke.

The sad thing was, I knew Cloud 9 was toast from the opening credits (i recognized it as the last image before the title).

Some people I talk to say that the ending was just a dream, but it's Roslyn's dream, as she mulls over letting Baltar win. If this is true, then she seems to know ALOT about the details of the Galactica's crew (Chief and Kally; Starbuck's new guy and her argument with Apollo, Apollo and D).

I think they wanted to 'break away' from the orginal series 'always on the run' theme. So, now it's going to be like "V", with Starbuck, Tigh, Chief and Roslyn acting as an undergound.

I heard alot of people thought it was weird that they were still in tents after a year, but i figured that between Baltar's corruption/ineptitude and the lack of resources/skills, that it made sense; any other opinions on this?

I don't think the part of the episode on New Caprica is a dream b/c Moore stated in an interview that Season 3 will deal w/ life under Cylon occupation.

I'm not surprised they are still living in tents after a year for just the reasons you gave: very limited resources & Baltar's incompetence as President.

I loved it, what angers me is October for the next season of BSG, while SG-1 and Atlantis both are coming back in July.

Other than that I loved it. BSG is the best written show on TV right now hands down. I love the characters and I can not get enough.

Why are they still in tents? Roselyn said it best when New Caprica was found. They do not have the technology and equipment to start a colony from scratch on a planet that is not already established techologically. They could not just make a home on New Caprica for the long hall said it would take years for them to get anything done. Hence the tents.

My other than the obivious questions mine are this: The Cylon Preachers are they dead or kept alive? What about Sharon is she still on the Galactica? Did she get spaced? Who was that Cylon looking for Starbuck? Are these really the heroes of the war or a Cylon trick? What the hell did Starbuck do to Apollo to have that hatred between them? She shoots the guy, approves his brother as a pilot when he was incompotent, violated orders jumping to Caprica to get the Spear costing a mission, etc. Now he is pissed? What she do? Was it because she married that sport player?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    So can we talk about BSG yet...

The season is over, and the series has been renewed for next season. The final episode has me going ahhh, WTF just happened?
    Quick answer... Standard spoiler rules apply.

Just because the season is finished in the USA does not mean that anyone in the rest of the world has. The UK and Canada are probably next up, and in the Uk w this week the mid-season hiatus episode just played (although we will miss the break and jump straight into the face off between Adama and Cain next week).

So any plot spoilers (not read the rest of this thread just in case) need to be advised (preferably in the subject heading) with a gap to ensure that it does not ruin the plot for others.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

OK . . . so then the rules are we are free to discuss what has happened up to the end of season two, but no further . . . without mentioning a spoiler warning.

OK sounds fine by me, I can work within those context, as I have just only seen . . . completed later

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Isn't the end of season 2 the ep I'm talking about?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

OK, now is later.

And thus Spoiler warning!

As for the final episode.
    http://www.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/L...ens%2C_Part_II

I to recongized two things from the beginning of the episode and guestimates. 1) That the nuclear devise provided by Bartlet will be detonated aboard a civilian vessel.
    2) That Bartlet will win the election

Therefore those two things didn't suprise me. However, as usual several things did.

I honestly thought the Cylons would have taken out the raptors and stranded the rescue mission. Thus having Caprica and Boomer be more directly involved in the rescuing of the mission. Rather a duplicate of the priest comes in. That was totally unexpected. Furthemore, who ever was suppose to provide rear security for the formation should be demoted, Priest II walked right up to the command element without as much as a whisper noticed.

The election, and the events around it doesn't suprise me. Yet another Colonel Tigh (I am presumming that his rank coincides more with an O-5, rather then an O-6) Fuck up.

Yet, the ending leaves a lot to be wanted. There are alot of open ended questions left to be answered and explained. A lot can happen in a year, and it appears that not alot of good has happened due to the rash decisions of President Baltar.
    I cannot even begin to list all the questions I have about the events that occured during that one year jump. But, like others, I must wonder what happened to the Cylons within their custody prior to the arrival of the invasion force. Also, I am curious as to the total population count after the nuclear explosion, and at the point where the episode ended.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    And skipping a year later after Baltar was sworn into office really was unexpected. I wonder why the Cylons decided to let humanity go & then find them again. Was it all a trap from the beginning or did the Cylons change their mind? Six & Sharon seemed to be more benevolent Cylons but now it seems that their benevolence isn't manifested as living in peace w/ humans but b/c they want to take care of humans like pets or wayward children.
    (spoilers I guess) ...

I think the "delay" was explained, both by the Cylon preachers, then by 6 or 8 when the Cylons arrive on New Caprica.

AFAIR, the preachers explain at one point that the Cylons are undergoing important political change, and that they have decided to stop pursuing the Humans ... "no harm done" as one of them says . Well, we have no reason to believe them, after all.
    Moreover, Caprica6 and BSG8, the two war heroes, both have reasons not to let the humans go. I expect Caprica6 will want to get back together with Baltar, and BSG8 is probably hoping to do the same with Tyrol. I'm only guessing there, but since they seem to have achieved considerable influence over the Cylon "government", they could have convinced them that instead of eradicating them, they just need to sheperd the Humans towards beliefs more compatible with theirs.
    Anyhow, when the Cylons arrive on New Caprica, Suit (can't remember his name) tells them that they were over a light year away (hence the 1 year delay) and had no clue of the whereabouts of the Humans (hidden as they were in the cloud around New Caprica), but they detected the radiation signature of a nuclar detonation (can we all say "irony" here? ) ... I'm still trying to decide whether BSP6 did that on purpose or not ... she told Baltar that she could not commit suicide, that it was prohibited by their god ... but they are allowed kamikaze operations, so exploding with the bomb could be an easy way out from her point of view ... not sure ...

Anyhow, I really liked the episode and I'm eager to see the new season ... in about 6 months or so ...
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)