View Poll Results: If a new Trek RPG came out, what would you want?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll buy it, the game system doesn't matter to me.

11 37.93%
  • CODA v2

5 17.24%
  • Completely New System (non-d20)

4 13.79%
  • d20

4 13.79%
  • Other (please specify in post)

5 17.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If a New Trek RPG Came Out Tomorrow ...

If a New Trek RPG Came Out Tomorrow ...

Would you buy it?

Let the debating commence!

LQ
    Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 03-15-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I still prefer and use the ICON system, I found it perfectly satisfactory for my uses and cinematic enough for the purpose.

That and it was easy to understand, which made it easy for me to write my own stuff for (which I did).

I never traded up to CODA, although I did get all the books. I was unable to get my head around Character Generation, and so had already given up before playing... So it never really got a fair shot.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I'd avoid d20 if at all possible, but if it was a reputable company, I'd buy into it no matter the system and start looking for freelance work.

I noticed there is no "no" option.

Would I buy any new Trek rpg. That would depend on the system. If it was significantly better than CODA, then yes, but I doubt any incarnation of CODA will ever have the complexity I desire in a perfect rpg system. The designers probably wanted to make the game as mass market compatible as possible and therefore anything more complex as D&D 3.x was out of the question.

Some things I would like to see in a new system:
    • steady decline in the success probabilty as test difficulty increases
    • exponential increase of skill and attribute costs
    • differentiation between simple and complex skills (several categories)
    • options for players to increase test difficulty, in order to achieve extraordinate successes (special moves, targeting vulnerable areas,...)
    • high variability in skill and attribute levels (definitely more than 6, more than 12 is even better)
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Yeah, I'd be the first to buy a d20 or d20 Modern/Future version, even True20.

But for now, I'm happy with LUGTrek.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    That's because the polling question is "what would you want?" I put 'other' in there to include those who would refuse to buy it and therefore wouldn't necessarily want anything.

In MY POST I asked if people would buy it, not the poll.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I'm not quite sure when I'll be playing ST again, but I think I'd like a CODA V2... CODA with a few fixes here and there, and even then, I'm not sure I'd buy it instantly. After all, I added a few house rules to CODA imported from ICON, so I'm not sure I'd like a new CODA if it strayed further away from ICON (which I liked, save from very important points like the die system).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

A hard question. I'm always kind of sad, when I have all or at least nearly all books of a perfectly good system and then a new one starts. I tend to want to have most of the books again. I was happy with LUGTrek had most of the stuff and nearly never got into playing due to the lack of interest of my friends in RPG stuff. But then CODA Trek came out and I resisted buying into a new system for a while. I don't know when I bought the first book, but shortly afterwards I had'em all. I think Starships did it for me. There hadn't been a Starship book with LUGTrek. But of course I loved the boxes. I want to have boxed sets with every game I play. Love CODA LotR Moria box.

So, don't know what to vote in this poll. Would I buy into a new one? Possibly. Depens if there's something that triggers it for me. Most of the time I'm a read-only RPG owner. It's seldom enough that I find people to play. When I do I tend to stick to the system. CODa has the merit, that it's basicly one system for two well known and cool to play in Worlds (Trek and LotR) so I guess I'd pick some books that would interest me but wouldn't go full scale into another system. So it really doesn't matter if it's D20 or not. But: for using it CODA v2 would be the one coming in most handy... I guess I'll vote that...

Icon or Fasa only. IMO they are they best.

I'm not crazy about d20 Modern/Future. I have the Icon books but never played using that system. I'm happy w/ Coda & would be happy if they kept that same system so I don't have to learn a whole new system of play.

I'll buy from anybody who can get their product out on schedule.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I wouldn't mind an updated version version of CODA, but I would much rather see a FUDGE or FATE take on Trek. Crunchy does not equal good, necessarily.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    I'll buy from anybody who can get their product out on schedule.
    Pretty much this. Without the smiley.

I just want the publishing company to put out books on a schedule. Then I'll commit to buying. A years worth of production, on schedule, with actual editing of the books would be nice.

The system matters little, honestly, d20, updated CODA, updated ICON, something new, whatever.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX
    I wouldn't mind an updated version version of CODA, but I would much rather see a FUDGE or FATE take on Trek. Crunchy does not equal good, necessarily.
    Why would you want FUDGE? Its not even compatible with itself. (Or atleast that what it seems.)
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi

Would I buy any new Trek rpg. That would depend on the system. If it was significantly better than CODA, then yes, but I doubt any incarnation of CODA will ever have the complexity I desire in a perfect rpg system. The designers probably wanted to make the game as mass market compatible as possible and therefore anything more complex as D&D 3.x was out of the question.

Some things I would like to see in a new system:
    • steady decline in the success probabilty as test difficulty increases
    • exponential increase of skill and attribute costs
    • differentiation between simple and complex skills (several categories)
    • options for players to increase test difficulty, in order to achieve extraordinate successes (special moves, targeting vulnerable areas,...)
    • high variability in skill and attribute levels (definitely more than 6, more than 12 is even better)
    It sounds like you want GURPS or HERO...