Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ENTERPRISE "bible" online

Exclamation ENTERPRISE "bible" online

Trek Web posted what it claims are excerpts from the writers' bible for the new show.
    http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...996253026.html

Reactions?

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Thumbs up

SPOILER LOADED POST. HANDLE WITH CARE. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS!

I like it.

No, really, I like it.

Oh please. Okay, here it goes. It seems that they're paying at least some care to those important details. Those ultra-canonites that complain about the protein synthesizer, please don't. It sounds like a thing capable of making some kind of gravy from basic organic molecules (hope they change the name of that gizmo).

Now... subspace radio ONLY working at warp speeds? I don't get it. Give me good technobabble about it and I may end believing it.

Then, the relationships: it's good that their main intention from the beginning is the development of just three characters. That way we'll see the focus on them, and at least we won't be guessing why the rest don't get more time on screen. Archer, T'Pol and Tucker... seems fitting.

Transporters will work... soon. Bah, I'd preferred not.

But the whole seems cool. I have good hopes about the series. I like the cast and the characters they represent. Too many males between the main characters (I'd rather see a 3:4 ratio, but what the hell... the secondary characters will be almost all women). But I like it. And the captain's dog. And so many other small details. The series seems more and better fleshed out than Voyager even from the beginning. I just hope that the writing team is better.

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

Talking

Wow! My impression of the show has...

...not changed at all. Ass.

Since you asked, here’s the parts I particularly enjoyed:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Starfleet is less than twenty years old in 2151 and with the founding of the Federation "decades away,"</font>

I have no books on hand but this strikes me as somewhat reversed. So Starfleet does exist, even though the Federation does not? Humm.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Archer knows that his Captain's Logs will be essential for future captains, so he makes the detailed, personal, and humorous.
    </font>
    Hey, funny logs told tone in the monotone voice of Dr. Beckett! Awesome!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Charlie eventually ended up in Orbital Engineering, building starships at Utopia Planetia and earning a reputation as a miracle-worker of sorts.
    </font>
    A “miracle-worker?” Oh good, for a moment there I was worried that in a cheap display to totally carbon copy every aspect of TOS they were going to make the engineer like Scotty. Whew!

Hey, nice to see that Utopia Planetia has been around for over 200 years!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Sub-Commander T'Pol is as thrilled with her post…
    </font>
    Thrilled? That’s good. For a moment there I almost thought they were implying that Vulcans hide their emotions. Wouldn’t want to stick too closely with canon, now would we?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> The good Doctor will even provide her with a "nasal numbing agent" to mask the odor of humans when they're excited.
    </font>
    Whew! For a moment there I was afraid they were going to turn Star Trek into some kind of sexy “skin flick” TV show with T’Pol undressing and the smell of human sex rampant through the corridors...

Oh wait... DoH!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> His "intergalactic medicine" makes the most mundane trip to the medical bay and adventure in and of itself.
    </font>
    Mostly because the same hack writers from Voyager will be writing this series and the B Plot of going to sickbay should overshadow everything else.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Travis prefers to sleep in zero-g and he turns off the gravity in his quarters when he sleeps.
    </font>
    Because this starship from 2151 is more advanced than the ones seen in 2370 and every room has separate gravity controls. Plus it allows for Travis to get banged up, falling to the floor every time red alert is sounded so that he can be wisked off to the medical bay.

Remember, the medical bay is “an adventure in and of itself!”

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> the two women will develop a sort of sisterly bond.
    </font>
    ...because we were only kidding about that earlier part where we said T’Pol didn’t like humans.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Launched through bomb bay doors by a magnetic arm, the pods are released after being positioned below the ship.
    </font>
    Like much about this series, nothing is really original, so we thought we’d steal the cool shuttle launching sequence from “Aliens.”

Tucker: “On an elevator to Hell, go-ing down!”
    Archer: “Somebody wake up Reed.”

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Without the bio-filters of the 24th century, any time crewmembers return to the ship with foreign agents along for the ride, they must apply decontaminating gel in the cramped Decon Chamber.
    </font>
    Which affords us more opportunities to show T’Pol naked—covered in gel!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Without shields or forcefields, the Enterprise is equipped with polarized hull plating that leaves the ship vulnerable when retracted.
    </font>
    You know, kind of like that armor from Voyager “Endgame” over 240 years in the future, except our “low-tech” Enterprise has it now! Whoo hoo! Suck it down!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Long-range communications are only possible at warp speed, so contacting Starfleet will be sparse.
    </font>
    Why? Because we said so, Star Trek suckers.

Wow, that was lots of fun!

------------------

Arrow

Humm . . .Me thinks I smell a bad day at work for our beloved founder by use of such unusual tone.

Read Bible, same old same old, nothing changed in my opinion anyway.

Unusual? He's just getting warmed up!

Ok, subspace at warp speeds... there are several things. There could be a future advance in computing power which is required by subspace tranceivers on ships, Earth has one but going mobile is difficult with one of those beasts. Or, too much of a power drain. Or, too big. While in Warp, there is no need for the communications array to breach the subspace threshhold. Yada yada, Etc etc. Technology will advance, things get smaller and faster, and eventually even a tricorder will have a subspace linkup and you'll be able to pick up the Sub-Ether newscasts on a screen built into your wrist, it has to start somewhere.

Cool

Oh, come on. I’m not allowed to have a little bit of fun?

I couldn’t stop laughing as I read that bible!

------------------

Don doesn't like the new Trek series? Big Suprise. What next, rumours that the TOS cast didn't like Shatner? Wait, that would be OLD NEWS.

Don, may I suggest therapy?

Arrow

Never mind us Don its just when the gods start to laugh we humble mortals get a little nervous

Jeepers batman it just done on me, if Starfleet existed before the federation then that means it fought the Romulan war, in a matter of seconds the old FASA Romulan War supplement becomes practical again for use (well at least the time line alterted for the new dates and minus Federation referneces).

Well at least until tommorrow when some otrher bible shows up!

Wink

[low sliding whistle] "Darn, would ya look at that train wreck. Any Casualties?"

"Only Continuity. And all the Fans' Hopes, of cource."

"Of cource."

I can see the script outlines now:

Week 1: Pilot

Week 2: The transporters work perfectly. As does the rest of the ship.

Week 4: Reed invents Shields to go with the BatMobile armor.

Week 5: Reed invents the photon torpedo.

Week 6: Reed invents phasors.

Week 8: Reed invents Quantum Torpedoes and Pulse Phasors.

Week 13: Reed invents transwarp drive.

Week 14: Reed invents Regenerative, Paraphasic, Transmodulated, Adaptive Ablative Shields and Transphasic Chronoton Resonance Quantum Torpedoes.

Week 16: Reed is discovered to be Captain Janeway, using future tech to "Fix" the Timeline. Having all this crap early sure would have made her trips on Voyager easier. Heck, if she can make it to Nemesis, why not Enterprise.

Alex

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tonyg:
    Don doesn't like the new Trek series? Big Suprise.</font>
    Well, if anyone takes my opinion to heart or too seriously then you need to lighten up.

If my poking fun at the bits of information leaking out on Enterprise is going to color/change anyone’s enjoyment of the show, than they need to lighten up.

I figure at least I can share a chuckle with others here who are like-minded.

------------------

Seriosly with a lot more official info out now with qoutes from B&B and etc this type of stuff will be seen more and more. And since the majority is made up from stuff already out there the supposed "insiders" can cliam they were half right when all the lame ass stuff is proven wrong. Considering how detailed past Trek Bibles have been the character info seems more senstational then substantive for writers to use.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!

They couldn't get Andromeda, so they thought they would make their own version?

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Didn't they learn their lesson with DS9? You can't copy someone else's idea without screwing it up. That is a HUGE lesson.

Archer = Hunt
    Tucker = Harper
    T'Pol = Rommie/Becka
    Phlox = Rev/Trance (more Rev than Trance on this)
    Reed = Tyr

I could go on, but that is the brunt of this. They must be really desparate over there on the mountain top if they have to go to their cash cow's creator's OTHER endeavors.

But then, I can just see old Gene in his grave:

"Ah yes, those fools finally learned it's about the money and damn the peons you have to step on along the way."

------------------
    Sit.
    Listen.
    Challenge.
    Learn.

Out of curiosity, is more T'Pol gel a bad thing? It'd make a great action figure. I bet its the first miniature that Decipher comes out with. And Don will be the one who writes up the stats for it.

(Hey, if Don can have fun, so can I)

[This message has been edited by Dan Stack (edited 07-28-2001).]