Thread: Away Missions: mock skirmish

Away Missions: mock skirmish

So, despite poll results, a number of design decisions (and my general preference) led me down the gridless route. I thought I'd throw up a pic of a mock skirmish to show some of the physical elements of play. And just to be a tease. I have much of the game in my head, and a fair amount of graphic work done, but my actual job has been getting too much in the way Sometimes that's good, though, because you can rethink things. Anyway pic below...

EDIT: I should note for GoB (he of the d6 direction-finder), that the red/white arrow is my direction-finder -- you can spin it or toss it like a coin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sho-sa Kurita; 03-27-2006 at 05:08 AM.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Um, ok... sounds fine

(though for the life of me, I don't recall making a d6 direction finder)
    --------

That looks pretty cool... how did you make the character coins? do you have PDF printouts?
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

No, no. You referenced hex based games as good because it was easy to use a d6 for random directions. Which is true.

ah ok, so im not going insane (well no more than usual).

Nope, no insanity.

Me neither, so I'm going to look at this realistically and say "to heck with it." There doesn't actually seem to any interest, so I think I'll just ditch the whole project.
    I'm actually a little surprised given how many military-oriented campaigns there have been discussed on these boards over the years. Ce la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    Nope, no insanity.

Me neither, so I'm going to look at this realistically and say "to heck with it." There doesn't actually seem to any interest, so I think I'll just ditch the whole project.
    I'm actually a little surprised given how many military-oriented campaigns there have been discussed on these boards over the years. Ce la vie.
    I am not so much military orientated but I followed your idea. I just have not that much to offer to it, that's why I kept lurking.

This is the first I recall of seeing something like this... do you happen to have some rules to go along with it or scene resolution summary?

It's a full skirmish system like Chainmail (2001) minis. This is what my previous couple polls in the last few weeks have been about. I've pretty much got rules worked out, just all in my head. But it's a lot of writing for something that seemingly has a more limited audience than I thought.

I guess that sounds sorta petulant, though it's not meant to. Just would rather spend time on other projects unless there's a sudden outcry for CODA skirmishing

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    I am not so much military orientated but I followed your idea. I just have not that much to offer to it, that's why I kept lurking.
    'Scool. That's the part that's hard to measure on forums -- the silent quotient.

How much do you use from the RPG? Enough that it could be a viable replacement to using the RPG's combat rules?

What about doing this for LOTR? I know (and have) the GW mini's game, but a game like this closely tied to the RPG would be pretty cool too.

I'd be willing to help you out too, if you're interested.

It's actually meant to be a replacement for the RPG combat rules, for those of a more tactical bent. :-) Especially if you want to do things like the Siege of AR-548, or other larger skirmishes -- say, a bunch of dwarves in goblin tunnels

Unit stats are pulled directly from CODA RPG stats. It would also be applicable for LotR. I just wanted to start with Trek because phasers (read: versatile ranged weapons) and communicators offer interesting differences compared to most skirmish games. And of course LotR also includes magic. Woo-hoo!
    If you've never seen the 2001 version of Chainmail, I'd recommend checking it out. It's on RPGNow for something like $6 (I think). It's derived from D&D 3.0 in much the same manner.

Since you've now concinved me to go ahead, let me actually get something on 'paper' before seeing about help. :-)
    Last edited by Sho-sa Kurita; 03-30-2006 at 08:53 PM.

As has been said before, I'm interested expecially if it can be integrated into the RPG stuff.

I'll keep lurking