Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fun With Grayscale - V

USS Greer Class Heavy Frigate

Excelsior Variant #3 of 5.

One of the two most requested customs of the Excelsior variants that I've ever gotten. I decided to go with the basic Loknar concept, but attempt to use Excelsior-style lines for everything. The name comes from the ship of the most persistant 'pixel-basher' for ships of this type.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    USS Greer Class Heavy Frigate

Excelsior Variant #3 of 5.
    This is more awesome than the Pueblo-class surveyor...and I asked for that one! You're giving me one hell of a Star Fleet for my game, Neale, and I thank you from the bottom of the icy black thing I call my heart!
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Not a bad effort, however, I must ask . . . where are the impulse engines and the deflector dish? I myself would keep the vessel a level plain, and place the nacelles port and starboard of the secondary section, thus keeping it all on a single horizontal plane. However, I guess that would look to much like an older Norway ish design.

Any luck on that Thru-Deck Heavy Frigate?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    Not a bad effort, however, I must ask . . . where are the impulse engines
    The impulse housings are the upper decks on the two long pieces running backwards. Note the back detailing compared to the Excelsior.

and the deflector dish?
    Ships like this just channel the deflection system through the shield grid without the 'heavy' deflector emitter. (This is actually how it was done before the 'dish' stopped being a sensor, and why the Reliant has no dish).

Anybody happen to know how many decks the Excelsior's saucer section has? I'm feeling inspired....

The Loknar being one of my faves, that Greer is sweet. I could see doing a series with that one. Hmmmm...
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Pueblo--very cool.

Greer--amazing.

I can't wait to see what's next.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Anybody happen to know how many decks the Excelsior's saucer section has? I'm feeling inspired....
    I'm counting 12 decks for the Pueblo and the Greer, and 23 for the Courbet...can anybody check me on that?

Elizabeth Class Heavy Frigate

Custom #4 of 5

The most common request I get. Basically just the Miranda done as an Excelsior-Era vessel, so not a whole lot of originality here. I went for a cross of the Nebula and the Miranda, using the former for the 'rollbar' assembly. Turned out okay, but hardly an exciting ship...

Try angling the rollbar a bit, to make it a bit more dynamic? Remember, the Excelsior has a lot of arcs going through it, and once you remove that the components are in danger of just looking boxy and static.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Try angling the rollbar a bit, to make it a bit more dynamic? Remember, the Excelsior has a lot of arcs going through it, and once you remove that the components are in danger of just looking boxy and static.
    The main problem with the rollbar is where to take it. It's more 'Excelsior-like' than the Miranda version, but I couldn't go 'all the way' and hit the Nebula (from which it has much of it details) when there's so much time difference involved.

I may revisit this ship later, though, and make it more.. Oberth-like in the connection, and see how well that works.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    The main problem with the rollbar is where to take it. It's more 'Excelsior-like' than the Miranda version, but I couldn't go 'all the way' and hit the Nebula (from which it has much of it details) when there's so much time difference involved.

I may revisit this ship later, though, and make it more.. Oberth-like in the connection, and see how well that works.
    The nebula has no rollbar.

Perhaps enlarge the pod and detail it a bit more. The side-pylons could be angled around 60% on the profile, and the rollbar either angled forward or backwards (er, the pod in the middle of a < or > shape).

Arg. Describing this is so confusing. I should just draw it.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    The nebula has no rollbar.
    Yeah, I was referring to the shape of the pod itself. The Nebula is connected at the back, which looks REALLY bad on non-organic-shaped ships.

And, I know what yo'ure talking about as far as the connection...

One thing that would make it look better to me would be if the rollbar was more rounded. The only real hard angles on the Excelsior are the tip of the secondary hull, where the shuttle bay is, and the nacelle struts. More rounded, and maybe like C. Huth said, forming sort of an angle with the torpedo/sensor pod mounted at the vertex.

If I could draw, which I can't, I'd eliminate one of the angles in the rollbar.

Say, come off the side of the pod (where you have it now) but at a 30 degree down angle, down to where you now have the second angle, straight across from the top of the extended hull.

I'd also think about raising the nacelles a bit, maybe so their tops are almost level with the bottom of the saucer. Much less pylon area that way.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook