Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fun With Grayscale - V

Curry Class Thru-Deck Cruiser

Excelsior Variant #5 of 5.

Wow, for a 'canon' ship, this one has a lot of messed up images. The two models are very different, both use very wrongly scaled warp engines, and completely different pylons, and yet the official images of these ships are AGAIN different.. oy. "Curry" may just be a nightmare to pinning these down!

This designs replaces the Excelsior engines, and uses the more 'hefty' connections of the various drawings to come up with a more 'solid' and slightly more believable design.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    One thing that would make it look better to me would be if the rollbar was more rounded. The only real hard angles on the Excelsior are the tip of the secondary hull, where the shuttle bay is, and the nacelle struts. More rounded, and maybe like C. Huth said, forming sort of an angle with the torpedo/sensor pod mounted at the vertex.
    Well, I did alter the rollbar and tuck in both at and the warp engines a smidge (giving a slightly meaner profile while I was at it). I also swiped the 'rollbar' from the Oberth, flipped it, and made a smoother transition line, which worked out quite nicely. Still not happy with the top view, but I suppose that would be the most limiting...

Link above should have the correct version - hit 'refresh' if it doesn't.

1) I really like your work here. You have done a fine job presenting clean pretty images of these ships, both the original designs and the ones from (often truly messed up) other sources.

2) I'm going to be the weird guy and say that I really liked the 350 Series Pods.
    Are these original, or lifted from another source? Fan Source? FASA?
    And any chance we'll get to see a ship using them?

I realize that they are basicly (from an art point of view) a big box, but I'm in a cargo-hauler state of mind right now. Don't let that make you think I don't like your ships, but nobody was saying anything nice about the cargo pods.

Another thing: I have a fan design you might be interested in. A guy named Tdd Guenther from Massachusetts did up a nice magazine in the 80s on expensive gloss paper called Starship Design. The one I have says it is the March 2280 Terrangelo Edition, and lists a copyright of 1984 & 1987.
    Anyway, it has full-page line art of a class he called the Decatur/Belknap Class (Decatur was the prototype, Belknap was the first vessel of production after some redesign) in TMP style (but with 1 view using the TOS style for the original prototype), a dreadnaught based off it called the Ascention, a "visual comaparison" of Enterprise versus Belknap (they are similar in size, layout, and equipment).
    Belknap, it seems, was to be a "Cruise" to compliment the Constitution Class "Heavy Cruiser".
    He also did the Federation Class Dreadnaught, in "as proposed" and "as built" versions (both TOS style), and also TMP style refit, a Klingon destroyer, teh "Avenger Class Heavy Frigate" (USS Reliant), a version without the "rollbar" and with a smaller secondary hull called the Knox Class Frigate, and the USS Menahga (a failed prototype Battlecruiser).

Anyway, it has a number of interesting TMP era designs I have not seen elsewhere, as well as some fun technobabble fluff articles, and is under 40 pages.
    I've been meaning to scan it in for a while, and if you wanted to see it that might provide me the impetus to finnaly get that done.
    Last edited by spyone; 05-24-2006 at 01:32 PM.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Curry Class Thru-Deck Cruiser
    Hmm. No Connie-type nacelles?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Hmm. No Connie-type nacelles?
    Deliberately ditched because the 'canon' Curry is a sad sack of kit-bashing badness which makes Vanguard cry.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Deliberately ditched because the 'canon' Curry is a sad sack of kit-bashing badness which makes Vanguard cry.
    At least there's no 200m maquis raider stuck on its ass-end : P

You seem to avoid detailing components differently than the those on the connie or excelsior. why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    At least there's no 200m maquis raider stuck on its ass-end : P

You seem to avoid detailing components differently than the those on the connie or excelsior. why is that?
    Consistancy and cleanliness. The Curry's 'extra gear' just doesn't make sense, and looks pretty stupid, for instance. Why would the Federation build a 250 percent larger LN-64 warp engine just to put a neo-warp drive into it, when they already can build Excelsior-style engines.

When things are obvious (and lazy) kitbashes, I don't waste too much time with being accurate to them. Notice I haven't done the SS Aurora, either.