Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare an "episode?"

How do you prepare an "episode?"

I am new to the RPG world and starting to work on my first game. I have read the Narrator's guide on developing episodes but the books guidelines don't work for me. I have been trying out different format, such as outlines, but I haven't found my writing style yet. I was wondering what you all use. I know each person is different and have different ways of developing ideas. I thought maybe we could all share our different styles of developing a game. Thanks.

I usually start out with a bare bones outline. Beginning and ending first, then filling in the blanks with story moments or beats to get the characters from beginning to end.

I always leave the middle flexible, because the players will always come up with something unexpected. I'm a flexible enough GM to go with the flow and still guide the players to the ending I already have in mind. I also find that sometimes I riff off players' ideas, and that helps to flesh out the episode more as we go.

If there are specific skill checks or such that I expect the players will need to make, I'll plug those into my outline (for instance, "At this point, the engineer should realize that he needs to recalibrate the such-and-such; doing so is a TN 15 sys op test"). If the player doesn't get to it, it' s not a big deal. We'll find another solution.

I try very hard to not create a rigid story or outline, mainly because I never want my players to feel like they're being railroaded.

Well, I run CODA, but I have felt the LUG/ICON books helps you not only come up with ideas but how to put together your episodes such as: The Planets of the UFP; Planetary Adventures; Holodeck Adventures; A Fragile Path; and amongst other adventures LUG/ICON published. Find these books and they can help plan and help get an idea on how to construct adventures/episodes. I also have some old FASA stuff as well, but I think the LUG/ICON was better made. Also the LUG/ICON people are also the original CODA people so most of the information between the two are the same just mostly the system differs with easu convesion rules.

So hunt for them at used shops or the net they are worth it. Owen may be selling them still.
    Last edited by Nene_Richards; 04-03-2006 at 12:27 PM.

I draw out out a flow chart , with plot point like beaming down to the planet to discover wreackage . skill check succeeded - downed klingon bird of prey . skill check fail - miss id ship , unknown or need more time .

I was happy after the 1st time i tried this . The adventure writes it seft. Now you have think fast on detailing on what they see.

The ship's scanner picked refined metals . that is boring . You're called to the ready room. Lt. Reed is reviewing his padd . ect ect

If your new to Narrating & to the Star Trek RPG you might want to use the free adventures from Decipher first, to see how they were done. One of them also has 4 pre-generated characters which I've used in my campaign since I find it faster than people rolling up their own characters.

After you've tried the free adventures, you may getter a better idea of how to create your own adventures.

I'm also using the adventures from the old LUG Star Trek adventure books which are easily converted to Coda rules.

There's also a fair number of free fan-created adventures I've found on the Net.

I write up the bare bones of the 'episode' objectives I'd like the characters to get to, and notable NPCS, then improvise from there. Sometimes player players come up with a more interesting idea and I run with it
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Generally, what I do is set a "scene" in mind and build it from there. In fact, once I had an entire campaign based on one scene. Turned out great too.

Best bet is to start with a published episode and see how it handles timing, and different branches in the plot.

Then, diagram that out, in a series of steps.

Modify the steps for your episode, changing all the details around.

LUG trek was great for suggestions as to how to write episodes. Each narrator's guide for TOS, NG, and DS9, is fuill of good stuff for stories.

I liked that Decipher's version did not copy that style, but added in even more hints and ideas as to how to present themes.
    - LUGTrekGM

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    If your new to Narrating & to the Star Trek RPG you might want to use the free adventures from Decipher first, to see how they were done. One of them also has 4 pre-generated characters which I've used in my campaign since I find it faster than people rolling up their own characters.

After you've tried the free adventures, you may getter a better idea of how to create your own adventures.

I'm also using the adventures from the old LUG Star Trek adventure books which are easily converted to Coda rules.

There's also a fair number of free fan-created adventures I've found on the Net.
    I took your advice and printed off the Decipher-made adventures. I am examining them to see how they develop "episodes." Thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea Decipher had such adventures pre-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod
    I took your advice and printed off the Decipher-made adventures. I am examining them to see how they develop "episodes." Thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea Decipher had such adventures pre-made.
    There are also a couple of adventures in the Beyond the Final Frontier webzine. Link here: http://home.mchsi.com/~gandalfofborg/

And the LUG Trek adventures on this site are good, to great.

Planetary Adventures from LUG is also a good source of adventures, and if you are running a Romulan Campaign, the Way of D'era boxed set is excellent. All easily convertible for plots to decipher.
    - LUGTrekGM

Make it up on the fly, man.

Given the tight plotting that Star trek requires, I find it extremely difficult to make it up "on the fly."

Star Wars, perhaps, since it is simple stories and lots of action. You can always have tie fighters or stormtroopers show up.

But if a Klingon battlecruiser appeared every 10 minutes in a Star trek scenario, it would seem extremely unusual, to put it mildly.

I think the scale and scope of the differnet genres make gaming them very different.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    But if a Klingon battlecruiser appeared every 10 minutes in a Star trek scenario, it would seem extremely unusual, to put it mildly.
    Well, you might want to reevaluate what the situation needs to be dramatic. generally, making important NPCs less than immediately helpful, or giving important ones motives that work at cross-purposes, can have the PCs running around trying to get everything to fit. Social problems can be as important as people trying to kill the crew.

If you are going to wing it–which is possible, but not everyone's good at it–remember that the key to doing so is giving the PCs reason to be pro-active instead of re-active. Give them a reason to be plunging through 'plot' instead of waiting around for the next battlecruiser.

I'd suggest having a few 'set pieces,' places or arrangement that you want to have happen–like a space battle, a play in the king's court, a standoff with the computer, hallucination in the labyrinth-comet–and just find ways to tie them together in play, based around what the PCs are doing.

If you want some printed advice, one of the LUGtrek authors, Robin Laws, wrote a slim book called "robin's laws of gamemastering." Warehouse 23 should have it in stock, or you could get your store to order it.

Ah, I misinterpreted your meaning.

Most GMs I have seen "Winging it" treat Star Trek (or other games) like D&D in Space.

I like to run games with an A plot, B plot, plus an A plot Twist, that may or may not relate on a harmonious / theme level to B (which usually involves character backstory or ongoing development.)

I find that if I wing it, and it is not an action-based game, like D&D, Mechwarrior, Twilight:2000, or Recon, I lose the theme, and focus of the story, relatively rapidly.

If it is an action-based game, then the action becomes the drama. Character development, wha? "I just leveled and bought a +3 sword / M-60" and bring on the charging hordes, and a bag full of dice. I like running, and playing those, also.

What I consider to be theme-based games like Star Trek, Traveller, Top Secret (although it is split action/theme) and Skyrealms of Jorune, I really must have a plot, with some wiggle room left over for PC input and decisions.

Robin's Laws is a good reference.

I also have

Grey Ghost Games' Gamemastering Secrets
    Sean Patrick Fannon's Fantasy Roleplayer's Bible
    Gamemaster Law by ICE
    Master of the Game, and Roleplaying Mastery by Gygax
    Dicing with Dragons by Ian Livingstone.

I personally would be hard pressed to game Star Trek on the fly, and have it feel consistent with what I have done before. I try to write 2 or 3 episodes in advance, and keep it as much on track with the evolving / planned major story arc as I can.

I was mistakenly under the impression that you meant, "Okay, you guys are on the bridge, and [consult random encounter chart]." My apologies.

Traveller used to urge this, and I hated it, with a passion.
    - LUGTrekGM