Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USS Diligence

Sorry, just feeling naughty, but it reminds me of something.....

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28560

(PS: Yes it is a parody of fanboys, not a real ship!)
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Sorry, just feeling naughty, but it reminds me of something.....

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28560

(PS: Yes it is a parody of fanboys, not a real ship!)
    ROFL
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Wow, made my day.

It wouldn't be funny, if there was not any truth to it.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    Jalu,

Man, I am not ragging on you, just stating "I think it's too many weapons" is all, as a potential player.

Please don't take that as me trying to tell you or the ref how to run the game.
    Again, this is not my game, Nena and I will just be roleplaying on it.

However, that doesn't mean that we can't spacedock it for use in other games. I do understand to spacedock it would level it out . . . and that's just what I want. And maybe the GM will like it, maybe he wont. I am hoping though, that he'd alteast look at the work we're doing to her, as it appears to be his creation.

Appearently the spinal weapon is suppose to be the warp wave seen in that on TNG episode.

Scary to see how it would be as a weapon . . . as stated in the episode, the energy from the wave could destory a planet. Definatly not somethng I can see Starfleet deploying, except against the most wicked of enemies *cough* pre-voyager uber borg *cough*

Now, although this would be off topic, that would be a campaign to run. A borg assualt . . . say a several cube task force, with smaller vessels in tow . . . can you imagine seeing the Alpha and Beta Quadrants shit their pants and have to come to terms with one another, just for sheer survival. . . . or one of those uber battle campaign ideas of Dominion v Borg . . . with Odo asking for help?

Or a third party stuck in the middle of the two . . . talking about rock and a hard place.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

The Soliton wave generation platform was massive, so how it can fit into a cannon is beyond me.. That and it would also break the unilateral ban on subspace weapons - aka that which was implicitly stated in Insurection, and to be honest, is very wise all round: Do you really want to transmit an unstable subspace effect.. Yeah sure, it might destroy a planet.. what happens if it keeps on expanding and growing and consumes half the galaxy - great! Sounds like a plan for idiots to me

PS: Glad you guys like that link.. it gets even funnier if your read on.. where trek fanboys.. take it seriously
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    The Soliton wave generation platform was massive, so how it can fit into a cannon is beyond me.. That and it would also break the unilateral ban on subspace weapons - aka that which was implicitly stated in Insurection, and to be honest, is very wise all round: Do you really want to transmit an unstable subspace effect.. Yeah sure, it might destroy a planet.. what happens if it keeps on expanding and growing and consumes half the galaxy - great! Sounds like a plan for idiots to me

PS: Glad you guys like that link.. it gets even funnier if your read on.. where trek fanboys.. take it seriously
    That thread is great, it should be archived for all fanboys to read.

Yah . . . I know the uber weapon is dangerous . . . but again, I didn't design the ship. Look at my other designs . . . they are anything but practical. You think this comes from my design studio?

However, that doesn't mean I wont try to run it through Spacedock and balance it . . . however, the new uber-techs are the GMs . . . and since it's his design . . . we, who attempt to create stats, need to be as faithful to the original idea as possible.

I myself believe that the weapon should be designed with some sort of safeguard . . . say a program which only allows it to be activated with several validated authorizations . . . the equivalent of POTUS authorization, the equivalent of the STRATCOM CO authorization, the COs, and the XOs approval.

But lets not look at that . . . what about the warp drive system . . . wouldn't it allow it have a near unlimited maximum warp endurance . . . however, how much deuterium would be need for this ship to maintain its capabilities? If anything I can imagine a HUGE storage tank.

----
    So I have started designing it . . . I decided size 9 . . . since it has the length of a D'Deridex Warbird . . . but lacks the height . . . thus the internal volume is smaller . . . I shall explain away the increased mass due to the copious amounts of ablative armor that shall use up the unused SUs.
    Last edited by JALU3; 04-23-2006 at 04:51 PM.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

What's all this then?

This makes two threads in this forum with my ship that I didn't know about...

Yes, my ship. The Diligence is my design.

First off, it was not designed to conform to anybody's design rules other than my own. I don't use coda, or icon or whatever. I don't even know the first thing about them. Most of my information comes from ditl.org, not some rule book that tells me what to do with my own sim.

Second, I'm not going to try to explain all the "flaws" in my design, since - like I said - it's not designed for some rule system.

Now I don't give a flying.... I don't care what you guys do with the pictures, I don't even care if you make your own set of specs. Just don't knock my design just because it doesn't fit into your rules.

That's all I have to say.
    Paul Serrarens
    Captain John Drake, CO, USS Diligence

Xjün, some of us are trying to figure out how to design you ship with in our rules. It will be hard, but nothing is impossible. Consider this thread to be FREE advertising for your game.

Lastly switch to decaf.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I think most of the problem people have with the ship have NOTHING to do with 'rules' of any kind, but it's believability and how well it fits with the genre in general. I'm quite sure with coaxing it will fit nicelly into any rules set: especially Spacedock, as that was always purelly based on what was seen on the show/films and never about rules conformation (which I have had my and slapped about before! )

Maybe to stop any further confusion, JALU3 you should design your own ship based around the image, and ignore the stats and names presented (except of course to reference that the artwork was done by him!) and just do your own as best fits your purposes..?
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobain
    Maybe to stop any further confusion, JALU3 you should design your own ship based around the image, and ignore the stats and names presented (except of course to reference that the artwork was done by him!) and just do your own as best fits your purposes..?
    If the designer of this vessel wishes me to stop my efforts to apply stats to it, for use of it in other gamings systems, I will abide be that wish. However, I do not see why we cannot attempt to recreate this ship in other systems so that others may enjoy it as an NPC ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix
    Consider this thread to be FREE advertising for your game.
    Did I hear the F word . . . I like that.

This makes two threads in this forum with my ship that I didn't know about...
    Where is the other thread?

I don't even care if you make your own set of specs. Just don't knock my design just because it doesn't fit into your rules
    No one is trying to knock your design . . . believe me I know how that feels. Ask Tobain about the Merlin . If anything we are attempting to do it justice by recreating it to the best of our abilities, in another set of gaming rules, to best fit your original concept. We are by no means creating this version to force it upon you. Rather we are doing this because we like the idea of your ship.

Now regarding whether some people agree with some systems or not . . . that's up to them. I have stated my opinion on it, and believe that there is room for it in the most dire situations within the Star Trek Universe. However, as a Narattor, I would be cautious about PCs abusing it. I think of it as an equivalent of a modern day SLBM.

Paul, with respect, thanks for joining this thread.

My spin on my input here is not one of rules or game balance, it is using the modern Navy fleet as a basis for extrapolation of this ship's capabilities.

I.E., when Roddenberry designed the original Enterprise, he made some notes: Cruiser, 400 crew, etc etc. Phasers and torpedoes. So that a destroyer is a bit lighter, and a battleship is a bit heavier. there is a kind of scale, per ship, per class that relates at a semi-linear level.

Star Trek / Paramount continued that trend, more or less.

All I am saying is that this ship doesn't follow that scale. It doesn't make it invalid as a ship For Your Game. I am pretty sure we are al in agreement here that nobody is trying to tell you what ships to have, and what ships not to have, or how it should or should not be used In Your Game.

For MYSELF, I like the looks of it, but if I were to use this ship in my game, to fit the established classes of ships, along with the weapons it has on it, I personally would make it a size 12 superdreadnought, or cut down the weapons on it.

Since in my own setting, the Federation uses size 9 ships maximum, I go with that as an upper limit, and will reduce the weapons accordingly to sclae it to other ships of size 9.

It's your ship, your game, of course. I think it's obvious that this thread IS giving your game some publicity, and that people are interested in seeing your design.

I myself am doing a color drawing of it, in the style that we might see at Starship Design Bureau's website. I also plan to give it some SUGGESTED LUG Stats, and some SUGGESTED Decipher Stats.

Consider that people are talking about it, so you have made an impression. I (and it seems a few others) are willing to do some work to bring this to the community, for the good of the community, for Free.

I can design my own ships just as well, and share them with the community. I have my own campaign to set up and run. If you as designer don't want comments, that's your perogative.

If at this point, you feel like you want all discussion ceased on this ship, design and specs, hey, right on, I'll stop work on what I am doing and this will be my last post to this thread, and won't bother with the work I was doing to support this for the community. Say the word.
    - LUGTrekGM

Um...

I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to sound so angry...

Like I said, you guys can do whatever you like with the pictures.

And to defend the Phaser Lance - I like to think that it's not one of the types of sub-space weapons banned by the Khitomer accords. I prefer to think that only weapons of the isolytic variety were banned. Since it's not clearly stated, I think I can get away with that. Also, if it wasn't banned as a propulsion technology (at least not when it was being developed), then why would it be banned for another purpose that would see much, much less use?

Also, it can't destroy a planet, let alone half the galaxy. The wave itself is non-self-sustaining and it's actual warp field works like a torpedo's - ship's speed plus a percentage. I explain in the ship's write-up that the cannon can't even be used at warp speeds, because it would destabalize the ship's own warp field.

And there's no worry about it gaining power and speed like the wave in that TNG episode, since it dosen't have the power to sustain itself.

As for why Starfleet would even build a weapon like that; it was specifically designed to fight the Borg.

The real point behind the cannon was really a tip-of-the-hat to "All Good Things..." , explaining the cannon that the future Enterprise had.

As for the number of weapons, I think they could fit it all in there. Look at the Defiant. They managed to fit 2 quantum launchers, a photon launcher, four pulse phasers and at least one phaser beam emmiter into that relatively little ship. If you use those figures, then the Diligence (about 20 to 30 times the volume by my estimations) would theoretically be able to hold even more weapons then it has.

In fact, the ship was initially designed with 12 phaser arrays, but I added more, not to increase her fire power of fill in gaps in her firing arcs, but to compansate for possable future Scimitar class ships through reconnaissance-by-fire. Put some phasers on low power to find the enemy, and the rest to full power to hit them.

And the 2 warp core thing- that's only for the cyclical drive. It would take too much fuel (though the Diligence has a huge supply) to have both cores going during normal operations. The only other time I can see both getting used is during heavy combat operations.

There. Now you know why I designed it the way I did.
    Paul Serrarens

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    Where is the other thread?
    The other thread is the one advertising the sim, so not actually the ship itself.
    Paul Serrarens

Hmm sounds like a grey area, but it certainly clears things up.. However if it is being used as a weapon, it is a weapon, not a drive system. The wave it's self was entirelly experimental, and was not supposed to be ever-expanding and self sustaining, but it did, because they got the figurs wrong and it all went horribly wrong. To be honest the fact that it all went horribly wrong would be why it is good for a weapon, as if it was stabalised and stopped when it should.. then how is it a weapon?
    Ta Muchly

Omg!

OK . . . almost done with interpretation of his design. Went through his specifications of his vessel . . . and crunched some numbers. This is what I have worked out his PHASER lance to be:

Mk 1 PHASER Lance
    Type: Soliton Wave Cannon
    (Equal to a ACB Type CCXL PHASER Array)
    Damage: 4800 [485 Power/Shot]
    Number of Emitters: 80
    (Maximum 2 Shots per Round)
    Auto-PHASERS Interlock: Class Gamma
    Accuracy: 3/4/6/9
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing Arc: 10 Degrees Forward
    Firing Modes: Standard, Continuous, Pulse

SUs = 394

The weapons strength is worked out . . . due to the stats stating that it's maximum power output it equal to 20 Type XII Phaser Arrays.

What do you think?
    Last edited by JALU3; 05-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.