Thread: Series Idea....

Series Idea....

Hello all. I'm a new member on this forum (been lurking for a bit), and have been thinking on an RPG idea (or if I give up on the RPG aspect, a nice short story idea).

Star Trek - "Pioneers"

Era: The Time of Expansion (or in Earth years, somewhere between 1600 and 1700)
    Type: Action\Adventure\Humour
    Misc. Information: Let's see.... Well, the people that make up the crew are mixed race who's occupations would definitely vary. It would basically be a Firefly feeling mixed with the original Star Trek (the whole pioneering feeling and that fact that fights easily happen) The crew basically go around picking up missions, avoiding the Orion Syndicate\Trade Empire's (the Orions are a big power at this point in time) and most things you could think of .

As for why I would choose this era, I just think it's such a rich time. No Federation, no Earth. Just lots of alien empires trying to make their way in the galaxy. Oh, and one thing I have to point out is that I'm not using Enterprise's version of events (although their series did take place almost five centuries later). Instead, I'll be using FASA's timeline merged with a few other ones.

Also, the Time of Expansion is a pretty self-explanatory meaning and it will accompany all dates (so the starting year might be something like 15 T.O.E.). I'm trying to think of what dates prior that would be, and I'll come back when I have.

Anyway, opinions are apreciated. Bye.

Well firstly, welcome to the boards!

Just to be clear... when are you setting this? Do you mean the 22nd century, in the Enterprise / Pre-federation time period? Not the enlightenment era?

Sounds like a good premise... For one you have very limited technology.. low speed, long journeys, no transporters (ok EVEN if you went with Enterprise' version of events, there's only a couple of ships in the fleet with them!) poor weapons.. of course most of the galactic neighbours are much the same, and it it gets really bad, you can always m'aide the Vulcans

You're probably best outlining your timeline only.. don't get too fixed, as things will inevitably change, as you realise it's not working!
    Ta Muchly

Just to be clear... when are you setting this? Do you mean the 22nd century, in the Enterprise / Pre-federation time period? Not the enlightenment era?

The original post said AD1600-1700, 500 years pre-Enterprise.

Frankly, though, I don't see what makes this a Star Trek campaign - it sounds pretty much like a generic Space Opera campaign. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I love the genre - I'm just curious.

So is it a crew of Vulcans? or Andorians? Both?

Could be star trek to me, but it would be pre-Federation, and no humans, so, what race is the "Default"?

It is generally accepted that stories are told with a few aliens as a contrast, so that we can use them as an example to illustrate human aspects.

It might be interesting as a character study setup, but it would require more deep psychology of the "Default" non-human race than most referees (and players) are prepared to handle.

You'd need complete histories for each homeworld, such that any player would have access to say, as much Vulcan history as the average bachelor's degreed military officer candidate has...and this from a non-starfleet academy institution.

How would you handle that, or plan to?

Would there be any humans in the campaign at all? Perhaps from a planet seeded by the Preservers? If not, why not?

Would there be any possiblility of visiting earth, on the sly?

I'm interested in hearing more.
    - LUGTrekGM

Okay, in this RPG, the default race would probably be Orion. I know this RPG idea does lean away from Star Trek so I've worked out a "backup" RPG. Not that I#m completely giving up on this idea, I just realised how hard it would be to find players, and how this would actually be the same in the 22nd century (most races being on their own, that is).

Star Trek - Beginnings

Era: Pre-Federation (2153-21??)
    Type: Action\Adventure\Other
    Misc. Information: It would be set aboard an independent exploration ship and would basically follow their adventures across the two quadrants. The first three years would be the normal exploration, adventure, possibly encountering a Romulan or two. Then in the fourth season, the Romulan War would begin and the crew would have to decide whether to stay neutral or join up with Earth. This would probably go against Enteprise's version of the 22nd century (but I find that the older books were better abou the 22nd century than the Enterprise show. But no arguements shall arise).

Well, there's my alternate idea. I hope you enjoy it and make comments on it. Bye.

Vulcans, man, Vulcans.

The era from when just before Vulcans land on Earth, up to the Enterprise (ish) era could make for a very exciting polayground... You have all the furore over the Vulcans.. you could have UN wrangling and arguing, the splinter societies, which to a certain extent would exist on Earth, since there is MASSIVE devastation, and several countries will have collapsed/disspaeared all together, both on Earth.. the last hold-outs to world Government, and those who leave for space, on rickety warp ships (Like the one we saw in Enterprise, a cargo ship, with several generations in it)

That leads on to things like first contact with the Andorians, First contact with Tellarites, and several other minor species (such as the Denobulans) - and all the ramifications that brings, up to and including minor wars ! Sans any kind of Starfleet, Space for Humans would be a very deadly place!!
    Ta Muchly

See, funnily enough I really can't see human letting the Vulcans interfere in our business, we may be near destruction, but humans would still be prideful (or arrogant, depending on you're point of view). So I say that we'd simply ask, or tell, the Vulcans to back off.

Anyway, back to the RPG.

I've been thinking over the past few hours on how I could make my RPG unique in some ways. Of course, if this is set i nthe 22nd century, then it could be unique in it's own right, but here's something more.

Okay, it is the early to mid 22nd century (going to leave it unknown as to what year it is until I've completed the idea), Earth has fought it's last war with the Kzinti over ten years ago, and everything is returning to normal. Technologies develop, colonies are built, and ships explore\patrol. But for (the player) everything is not all that great. He's bored of the basic happiness there is on Earth and in the solar system. He wants action and adventure, the things he (I say he, that's just my way of speaking ) dreamnt of when he was a child. Walking along the street one day, he comes across three buildings, all looking for "recruits".

(AS you can guess), one is for Earth Command (Earth's military), the second for U.E.S.P.A. (Earth explorative thing), and the last for the United Earth Cargo Service (which, from what I've read, probably encounter the most aliens). From there, the episodes would go in the normal Star Trek fashion (well, not the later series', they'd be more TOS\DS9 like), but of course you'd have the technological limitations and the fact that these aren't the 23rd\24th century humans we're used to. Also, I'd have it that the character may end up altering future events (not in a huge canon-breaking way, but in a medium-sized way).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Whosits
    See, funnily enough I really can't see human letting the Vulcans interfere in our business, we may be near destruction, but humans would still be prideful (or arrogant, depending on you're point of view). So I say that we'd simply ask, or tell, the Vulcans to back off.

Anyway, back to the RPG.

I've been thinking over the past few hours on how I could make my RPG unique in some ways. Of course, if this is set i nthe 22nd century, then it could be unique in it's own right, but here's something more.

Okay, it is the early to mid 22nd century (going to leave it unknown as to what year it is until I've completed the idea), Earth has fought it's last war with the Kzinti over ten years ago, and everything is returning to normal. Technologies develop, colonies are built, and ships explore\patrol. But for (the player) everything is not all that great. He's bored of the basic happiness there is on Earth and in the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=solar%20system" onmouseover="window.status='solar system'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">solar system</a>. He wants action and adventure, the things he (I say he, that's just my way of speaking ) dreamnt of when he was a child. Walking along the street one day, he comes across three buildings, all looking for "recruits".

(AS you can guess), one is for Earth Command (Earth's military), the second for U.E.S.P.A. (Earth explorative thing), and the last for the United Earth Cargo Service (which, from what I've read, probably encounter the most aliens). From there, the episodes would go in the normal Star Trek fashion (well, not the later series', they'd be more TOS\DS9 like), but of course you'd have the technological limitations and the fact that these aren't the 23rd\24th century humans we're used to. Also, I'd have it that the character may end up altering future events (not in a huge canon-breaking way, but in a medium-sized way).
    Hence why Enterprise was an illogical idea.

My take on it would be we earthers have survived a large nuclear exchange, now we got smart guys from space who have space travel technology, and are willing to trade.

If I were in that situation, I'd be all for it.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Whosits
    Vulcan Diplomat: "Here, we'll help you fix the horrible ecological damage to your world and remove the massive radiation left over. All you have to do is accept our 'oversight.'"
    Farmer Who's Last Three Children Have Been Screaming Eyeless Lumps: "Okay."

When you're living through a period of time quaintly referred to as the 'Post-Atomic Horror,' crypto-fascist busybodies from space may seem like radiant angels of mercy. Nah, I think that's the one thing ENT got right.

Screaming Eyeless Lumps
    I had a chance to see the original "The Hills have Eyes" as a small boy. Crazy what dope-smoking parents will inflict on their grade school age children.

Oh yeah. That's an image for my upcoming USS Majestic Campaign, right there.

*Tips referees hat in homage.*
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    I had a chance to see the original "The Hills have Eyes" as a small boy. Crazy what dope-smoking parents will inflict on their grade school age children.

Oh yeah. That's an image for my upcoming USS Majestic Campaign, right there.

*Tips referees hat in homage.*
    merchant episode idea: smuggle warp drive blueprints to a pre-warp atomic wasteland world so that they can build one and benefit from federation assistance, without getting caught by said UFP.

That's a pretty good allegory for today's news. I like it.
    - LUGTrekGM