Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New News on Next Trek Film

New News on Next Trek Film

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

To quote another franchise,

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Abrams is a fine talent, but I'm not sure he's the best fit for Trek.

And I personally think that the franchise should have lay fallow a bit longer than this.

But we'll see... hopefully I'm wrong.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Booyah.

I knew Shatner could do it.

*does the snoppy dance.*

- LUGTrekGM

Who said that Shatner and Nimoy are going to be involved? Just because somebody put a picture of the two next to the article doesn't mean anything. How do you want to explain to casual viewers that those two wrinkled guys are supposed to be cadets or junior officers?
    I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with that, though.

I don't think Trek needs a break. It only needs good stories.

Was this story confirmed anywhere else?
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

I meant Shatner has been writing a script based on Kirk at the Academy.

This seems to be that, or derived from or based no as a story concept.

I am pretty sure he is not gonna be in it, lol.
    - LUGTrekGM

To paraphrase a response to "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

You always say that Frost... You always say "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Yeah I know the actual line is "I've got a bad feeling about this drop", but what the hey... it works

I dunno... I am open to this idea... Nice to see all new blood tackle the topic.

Get good stories it does not have to take place in the past/

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    Abrams is a fine talent, but I'm not sure he's the best fit for Trek.
    To be fair, Hugh, at the moment they're listing him as a producer, not the director (though it's not out of the question that he could direct it, too).

Which means, at least for the time being, that Berman is not producing it. And there was much rejoicing.

(It also mentions, on www.startrek.com at least, that Jendreesen's script isn't dead yet, so we might get an assload of stuff.)
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

To paraphrase a response to "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

You always say that Frost... You always say "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Yeah I know the actual line is "I've got a bad feeling about this drop", but what the hey... it works

Um, wrong franchise, I think... I suspect the original poster was referring to the use of that line by mltiple characters in The Empire Strikes Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    Um, wrong franchise, I think... I suspect the original poster was referring to the use of that line by mltiple characters in The Empire Strikes Back.
    Well aware of that actually, but it just plain fit anyways But a thousand points of movie-geek to you sir... I tip my hat

Here's the word from startrek.com's news line. I should like to emphasize the following bit from this piece:

"Abrams' producing partners from Lost, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, are cited as being producers on "Trek XI." This project is separate from the previously rumored script developed by Eric Jendersen and overseen by Rick Berman. The former Star Trek producer is not involved in this project. "

Ridiculous amounts of emphasis are mine; I chalk it up to elation.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Well aware of that actually, but it just plain fit anyways

Of course, it could also be what a certain "Heavy Set Guard" said when he read the script to a certain John Travolta "epic."

I... don't know how to react to this news, yet. In part because it remains to be seen whether this team can create good cinema. We will have that answer shortly. In part because the work Abrams has done isn't exactly what Trek is (or maybe should be) well known for.

Still, many talented writers are capable of writing in a variety of genres.

It is a step in the right direction to disconnect Berman (who is part of science fictions Axis of Evil) from the project. Let's hope he remaines disconnected.

Call me a cynic, but this is a really, really bad idea. They are going to find an actor to play Kirk, who will immulate that Kirsk-Speak?! I just saw Balance of Terror again... Oh, dear God, I pitty the fool playing Kirk.

I really think a film is a bad, bad, bad idea. A prequel film, a bad, bad bad idea. Only, one place I have seen has said no Bermen involvement. This is going to fail and when it does Paramount/Viacom are going to then agree say it is us and not that they come up with stupid ideas.

This idea is a novel at the most or a fan fic not a good movie. They think the past is where the good stories are?! Look at who wrote TOS and TNG and DS9: major talent working together. JJ Abrams is a good TV creator, I am not big on his movie stuff and MI:III is kind of iffy for me. I do not know how much Cruise, I can handle this year. I am sad to see Alias go and well never got into Lost, but I think he should be designing a series and not a movie.

In Aesop's fable "The Fox and the Grapes," at the end of the story the frustrated fox invents all sorts of justifications for not getting the grapes he wanted, after all his attempts.

What I want to know is what's the Fable where all the justifications for why the grapes are not to be desired takes place before the fox even tries to grab them.

I think it's as yet unwritten, but someday it will be called "The Internet Fan and the Star Trek concept."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook