Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New News on Next Trek Film

I'm with V'Lor. I am hungry for post DW stuff and seeing the now more gritty Federation moving forward.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Wow.

*Hands V'lor a Scythe and Black Cowled Cloak*

Admiral X. U. Morrison: "Captain V'lor, it may both not be logical and against standing orders to do this film. Therefore, we are doing it anyway."

I love it.

- LUGTrekGM

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    ...I am hungry for post DW stuff and seeing the now more gritty Federation moving forward.

Yeah, 'cause Star Trek shouldn't be about hope anymore. You might as well make it a BSG clone.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Touche'.

I think there is room for gritty and campy, and "give the new guys a chance to do something good."

FEEL THE IRONY:

People saying they hate Rick Berman, and Brannon Braga, I hear the echoes from the Mirror Universe, "String 'em up! Hang 'em high! Anyone but them! Replace them! Long Live Star Trek!"

Now that the Moff and his Apprentice are out of the picture (yuk yuk), it's now "Kill the concept, before it gets off the ground, who cares who is doing it."

Note to self: Feel the Gritty, Dark, Post-War Future Irony, and post to the Trek-RPG.net forums. Mission Accomplished.

Is this not what a Majority of Trek Fans (TM) Wanted?

What, is someone concerned that if this gets made and is terrible, that no more Star Trek will be made? Reread the posts of last week, please. This might get made, despite the end of "Enterprise."

People thought that Y2K was the end of the world. This is just a Star Trek Movie.

There is some disconnect there that I seem to be not comprehending.
    - LUGTrekGM

It made me smile, so I thought maybe some here would like it too:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060423

... only I'd have replaced Berman with Braga . Berman at least did bring us some nice DS9 episodes. I can't recall any good Braga initiated episode .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    ...I am hungry for post DW stuff and seeing the now more gritty Federation moving forward.

Yeah, 'cause Star Trek shouldn't be about hope anymore. You might as well make it a BSG clone.

And THAT was my point over in the Romulan War movie thread: that movie concept just struck me as nothing more than a strategy to ride on the reimagined Battlestar Galactica's coat tails. It was a bad idea, and it still is. It sounds like Berman is still trying to develop it anyway to try to sell it to Paramount. With this announcement, however, it seems like Paramount has already made its choice: new blood, with proven moneymakers as the producers and creative talent. This is a GOOD thing.

As for the concept of Star Trek Academy and a Kirk/Spock first adventure? I'm willing to give a chance. Does this mean that there AREN'T good stories left to tell in the post Dominion War Era? Sure there are, but realistically the success of a new movie set in that era would depend on viewers being familiar with everything that has gone before; B&B were right about one thing: in order for Star Trek to survive as a franchise, it must attract new fans. I like the idea of trying to reconnect with the TOS era better than trying to ignore or rewrite it, as it seemed at times Enterprise was trying to do.

Could this new movie result in a "reimagined" TOS series? Maybe, but y'know, I don't think that's such a bad thing at this point.
    Last edited by Commander Sonek; 04-24-2006 at 10:52 AM.

There is something wrong with a fight with the Romulans? I've been looking to see that play out sense Balance of Terror (that is the one in TOS with the Romulan ship commanded by our favorite Vulcan right?)
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Berman Not Part Of Trek 11
    Longtime Star Trek writer and producer Rick Berman, who joined the franchise at the feet of creator Gene Roddenberry, will not be involved in the proposed 11th Trek film, to be directed by Mission: Impossible III helmer J.J. Abrams, SCI FI Wire has learned.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35641

Abrams Reviving Trek
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35587

Who's writing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Calcoran
    ... only I'd have replaced Berman with Braga . Berman at least did bring us some nice DS9 episodes. I can't recall any good Braga initiated episode .
    Reunion, Cause and Effect, Fistful of Datas, Birthright part 1, Frame of Mind, Parallels, Sub Rosa, All Good Things...

And that's just a few from TNG. He wasn't always a complete hack. Just once they made him a producer...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

A post Dominion war arc could easily incorporate political elements as a sharper Federation attempts to find its way back to its idealistic roots - in fact, I'll bet that could be a good premise for a post DW arc. Perhaps after things have gotten a little bit worse. The characters would be forced to deal with, among other things, a perception of the Federation as "no longer the good guys". Over the course of the series, instead of descending into darkness, they climb out of it.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    But that's not what he wanted; he wanted to see the new gritty Federation move on.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I liked Enterprise and I don't shoot prequels on sight... but I'm not particularly overjoyed by this project.

Ok, part of it must be my dislike of TOS, but most of all, while I've nothing against prequels in general, I find prequels of particular characters to be much more difficult to do well, as they tend to remove any uncertainty about the characters.
    In this case, not only do we know that young Kirk and young Spock will both survive, but also that they will remain friends, not be busted out of the Academy, not get married, and so on... (unless they plan to make more movies on that theme, which would make them a sort of "look how Kirk became Captain" arc, like the SW prequels were a sort of "look how Anakin became Vader" arc).
    This fairly reduces the possible character development plots.

Another risk with exploring the past of known characters is that, either you build lots of ties with their future selves, which could range from lot of private jokes only hardcore fans would understand to far less subtle jokes like meeting younger versions of other characters (mind you, I'd like to see Kirk meeting Carol Marcus, and this could be almost the right timeframe), or you build them as completely independant characters, and then one's left to wonder why they didn't use original characters anyway.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Well, my last input here is that in watching something like "Saving Private Ryan" for example, I knew that the Normandy Invasion would be accomplished.

It didn't make it or the following story any less exciting, and dramatic, to know what will happen.

Seeing it again, I know who will live, who will die. What each character will learn or lose. I still watch it, just because it's a dramatic story.

When I watch Wrath of Khan, Pitch Black, Aliens, Terminator, and the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings, I know what will ultimately happen. I have seen those films dozens of times. But it doesn't detract from enjoying the stories. For me.

That's what I think of this project. It might tell the early days, sure. Bt if it tells them in an organized, coherent dramatic fashion, I am all for it.

It's just like reading a Star Trek novel set in the Original Series, even though I have seen or read books set in Voyager, or DS9. I can still enjoy those characters, and what came before.

Except the post DW is VERY appropriate for the times we live in. Having ideas that the viewers can relate too or that are in the public's minds eye is what ST was all about.

And lets face it, an academy movie won't move the "hope" foreward, but a movie about rebuilding after a devasting war/attack and helping you once enemy rebuild would.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig