Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News about the Star Trek RPG 04/27/2006

News about the Star Trek RPG 04/27/2006

Posted on both Decipher's forums and Trek-RPG's forums, as well as to my blog. Feel free to link to any of these announcements to help spread the word.

First announcement: Ineti and I have been asked by Scott Gaeta at Decipher to act as the voices for the RPG lines -- he'll be the primary representative for the Lord of the Rings RPG, and I'll be the primary representative for the Star Trek RPG (though we'll both be backing the other up as needed). As we get info (and there are a few people here who will testify that I'm willing to bug Decipher about it a great deal), we'll pass it along to you. It might not be much, but we'll tell you what we know.

Second announcement: Scott and the small volunteer staff we've got (and I have to emphasize the word volunteer; you should be nice to these people because they're giving up a lot of their own time and sweat) have been having an email discussion over the past couple of weeks, dealing with the status of the RPG lines and the goals Decipher has for the lines. While I'm not at liberty to discuss all of that, I feel safe in saying that I feel like those talks have been productive, and have helped get everyone involved on the same page.

Third announcement: We appear to be getting back on track with PDF releases. Decipher has some staffing issues, like a lot of companies in the game business (and other businesses, too, but it's a real problem in the game industry right now). Kieran Yanner, as has been noted in several places, has left Decipher to pursue a freelance career that is currently going quite well for him. His layout duties on the PDF books has been assigned to a different person in the art department, and work is once again under way. Kieran showed Ashley the direction he was going in with things, so I expect that things will look just as good as they would have under Kieran's watch.

I told you all that so that I could tell you about this:

Fourth announcement (and the biggie, as far as I'm concerned): New product should be appearing in the next few weeks. First up will be the Star Trek RPG Player's Guide PDF, followed shortly by the Lord of the Rings RPG Core Book PDF. I don't currently have a more solid release date, nor do I know the prices being discussed for the books, though I'll let you know as soon as I do. I'm not sure when Ineti should get the book for proofing, but I should have the PG in hand for proofing and editing in the next day or so.

Unfortunately, the errata isn't going to be incorporated into the book as we had originally planned. Due to a number of problems (and I won't play the blame game on this one; there's enough to go around, and some of it belongs to me), it was decided that this wouldn't be feasible. Glaring typos and grammar errors will be found and hopefully quashed, but the errata won't be there.

Instead, it was decided that the errata would be made available as an appendix to the books. They should be laid out in the same style and format as the books themselves. It seemed a better way to do it so that those who choose not to buy the PDF releases can still have all the errata in one place without having to flip through various posts on the message boards. I've been asked to have an errata document turned in ASAP, and hope to have it finished and ready for the staff to vet by the end of next week.

That's it for my news at the moment. As I get more, I'll put it up in all the usual places for your edification.
    Last edited by PGoodman13; 04-27-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

*sigh*

I am, by the way, pushing for the damn Klingon book.

Thank you for the news. And thank you a lot for all the work you are putting into this.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Thumbs up

You. Are. The. Man!

Speak sofly, but carry a big stick.

And use it.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I just wish there was more that I could actually say at the moment. One thing at a time, though.

May whatever Gods you place your faith in bless you, Mr. Goodman!

And the noble Ineti as well!

It will be nice to see things rolling on out again.

Good luck with it, and keep us players posted!
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I've said it privately, but I'll say it publicly too.

Good luck on this, Patrick and Jim. Being the "Mouth of Decipher" can be rewarding at times, and I hope it's not as ultimately frustrating as it was for me...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

::bows before the new rep::
    We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.

To make sure: I am very happy that things may get moving again. Be it in .pdf format. Who 'really' cares. But I will be honest: I don't think I'll get another player's guide or LotR Corebook. I've got both books twice as printed work. (LotR one english one german version). But if 'the damned klingon book' gets published you bet I'll get one Please let us know some days in advance, so I can load up my paypal account in time...

I only have one copy of the PG in print form. Getting the .pdf is a great thing for me, as I can provide a copy of the rules to the players who don't have one! .PDFs work very well for that.

Because it's tough for players to go get a book for a game that they have no idea if they'll like... but if they like the game, it's REALLY easy to get them to lay down their own money.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Quote Originally Posted by Maranthain

::bows before the new rep::
    We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.
    I don't know if it's a question of being worthy...and I really don't look anything at all like Alice Cooper.

Frankly, I think it's a matter of my not being altogether stable....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Good luck on this, Patrick and Jim. Being the "Mouth of Decipher" can be rewarding at times, and I hope it's not as ultimately frustrating as it was for me...
    Thanks, amigo. While I'd love to score a trip out of this, I'll be happy just getting the books out at this point.

I'll just pop in briefly to say that I'm not as optimistic as Patrick, though I hope this bodes well for Decipher. I've been there from the start like many of you, and know firsthand just how scattery Decipher has been.

The big disappointment for me is that the PDF releases of the core books aren't going to contain errata fixes. I guess having an appendix of changes will have to do, though it's really not the solution Kieran and myself and Patrick were hoping for.

It's the best we can do at the moment, though, and I apologize in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    I am, by the way, pushing for the damn Klingon book.
    Hahaha... thanks. : )