Thread: Coda Ip

Coda Ip

So GoB's gCODA thread has me thinking. If it was possible to obtain the IP for the CODA system (not the licensed properties, just the system), would it be worth it? And what about doing an OGL thing with it?

We certainly know there are good writers who could do the system justice. And I'd love to have good generic fantasy and sci-fi rules sets available. Not to mention all the other possibilities.

Of course, I have no game industry experience, and have no idea what the pricetag on something like that could run. Anyone have any ideas?
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I would say the possibility of it happening right now is not much. If Decipher ever gives up on RPG's, then I could see the system being up for sale.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    So GoB's gCODA thread has me thinking. If it was possible to obtain the IP for the CODA system (not the licensed properties, just the system), would it be worth it? And what about doing an OGL thing with it?
    Inquiries have been made, but Decipher has shown no interest in selling the rights to the Coda system or even sublicensing the system to another company.

That being said, I don't think they've said a word about GoB using the system for his BSR or the webzines, so I'd say the system is technically open-source anyway. As long as people don't sell the Coda games they come up with, I doubt there will be a problem.

IANAL and all that.

1) Yeah, it's not available right now. Just musing on future possibilities when Dec finally gives up on RPGs (not that I'm wishing for that, though)

2) As far as the legality/money-making ability, the whole point really, is to have control of the system to have the legal right to print real books (or at least PDFs), and take the property new places.

Part of my thought process is that personnally, I have plenty of hobbies. Ones that I am happy to spend a lot of time and resources on with no return. RPGs are one of them. CODA is one of them.

But, in the case of CODA, I really like what the system is, and what it can be. The amount of work I'd need to put in to do the things I (and other people) want is significant, and it would be nice to be able to get at least some return on the time, and the ability to do whatever I want legally.

Given that I don't want to jump into the d20 bandwagon (or Fusion or Action or Omni), the other option is to spend the time on a fully-fledged new RPG system. Or should I say, yet another RPG system, when we've got a perfectly good one already.

As I said, I'm just musing on possiblities, and I'm not surprised that previous inquiries were rebuffed. Given the creativity here on these boards, I could just imagine what could be done. Ah, well.

And man, I'd love the opportunity to do CODA Stargate and/or Space:1889.

Just go d20 like everyone else. At least then you got stuff in print.

All of the mammal companies that exploded onto the scene after the older crowd of games died off after the CCG meteor strike bear witness that there is a huge market for rpgs of most any kind.

Or design your own, than you have the control you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    That being said, I don't think they've said a word about GoB using the system for his BSR or the webzines, so I'd say the system is technically open-source anyway. As long as people don't sell the Coda games they come up with, I doubt there will be a problem.
    Or it could be that they don't want to go the route of Kevin S. and risk losing what fanbase they have left.

Or that they don't even know the 'zines exist (but I don't know how )

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    Just go d20 like everyone else. At least then you got stuff in print.

All of the mammal companies that exploded onto the scene after the older crowd of games died off after the CCG meteor strike bear witness that there is a huge market for rpgs of most any kind.

Or design your own, than you have the control you want.
    Okay, I have to ask - "mammal" companies?

Back OT. With places like RPGNow, it's easy to get something in 'print,' but the point is not simply to have something in print. It's to have CODA material in print. I don't hate d20, I enjoy a great deal of it. The point is I like CODA more, and would like control of it. In the end, the most likely scenario is having to do my own. Just pondering at the moment.

The point is I like CODA more, and would like control of it.
    hehe gonna have to wait in line for that one

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfOfBorg
    hehe gonna have to wait in line for that one
    A very long line.

Amended thought: Be in control of it, or have it under control of someone who will do something good with it And would work with other parties as well on super-cool products that everone would want.

I'd also like some pie and chips. For free.

Good Luck!

The problems that have plagued CODA are a good sign of the difficulties with the current state of the RPG industry and the difficulties of using a liscensed setting.

At lot o good people did a lot of work in putting toghether a nice system with two liscensed settings. UNforntaely, the company in charge had unreasonable expectations, and made a bucnh of misteps that have all but killed the system off.

THe same suits that have put the game into limbo will never accept the fact theat they are to blame for it, and will probably bury the game rather than risk the system getting into the hands of somone who might be successful with it.

We certainly know there are good writers who could do the system justice. And I'd love to have good generic fantasy and sci-fi rules sets available. Not to mention all the other possibilities.

Of course, I have no game industry experience, and have no idea what the pricetag on something like that could run. Anyone have any ideas?
    With about six part time developer or so and line developer/manager for 2 to 3 years, the booked cost for the IP would probably run about $60,000. They would probable write it off over a 20 year period straight line. It has been out for about 5 years; therefor about $15,000 has been depreciated for a current value around $45,000 book value. Replacement value would be about $60,000. Future value calculations who knows. They might sell for less if there was a money crunch. You could talk the price down by offering to license the system back for the LOTR & Star Trek RPGs bringing it down say $10,000 or so (depending on how many years) to $35,000. I am not sure you want to OGL it after all you spend on it and if you licensed it back.

Even if Decipher does not want to sell it, you could buy up all the outstanding debts from Decipher's creditors for say .50 on a dollar. Then wiped out the debt against the purchase of the system or trade it in for stock in Decipher with the threat of sending them into bankruptcy court. If you get stock hopefully it will be enough to steer Decipher to OGL or print publish ST & LOTR RPGs. You see I have given some though before you even started this thread.

As far as OGL, I don't think you want to do that after all the money you shelled out; you will probably want to recoupe that & if you relicensed back to Decipher to bring the cost down they might have aske for a non-OGL clause or drop the fee license for the OGL. OGL causes at least with popular system like d20 System to glut the system speeding up companies going out of business and new editions sooner.

It's to have CODA material in print. I don't hate d20, I enjoy a great deal of it. The point is I like CODA more, and would like control of it. In the end, the most likely scenario is having to do my own. Just pondering at the moment.
    Then go the compatibility route like Role Aid was to AD&D or d20 System is to D&D 3rd Edition. Just put the compatibility in small print while creating your own trade mark that would indicate that compatibility. I posted this previous in discussion with Vanguard on using the LUG/WOTC's Icon System.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting