Thread: Happy Cinco De Mayo

Talking Happy Cinco De Mayo

So last minute ... less than two hours left in Hawaii.

Wonder if the French celebrate this too?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

And I wonder if people find celebration of the defeat of another people . . . as racist?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    And I wonder if people find celebration of the defeat of another people . . . as racist?
    I dunno. We're too busy celebrating and getting drunk to contemplate, especially on the Fourth of July.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Given Independence Day, VE Day, and VJ Day... I'd say not.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    1. Do the French actually care?

2. James, is it racist to celebrate the successful defense of your nation's sovereignty?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

As for independence days, those are celebrations of creation and freedom. Unless one opposes that nation's existance . . . what's wrong with that?

Oh and Cinco de Mayo isn't Mexico's Independence day. That is September 16th.

I am not against Cinco de Mayo . . . but then . . . would it be as tolerated if someone was to hold a San Jacinto day . . . or a Yorktown day.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Talking

Oh and Cinco de Mayo isn't Mexico's Independence day. That is September 16th.

I am not against Cinco de Mayo . . . but then . . . would it be as tolerated if someone was to hold a San Jacinto day . . . or a Yorktown day.
    I dunno. Is it possible to add another holiday in October? We could ask our British friends to come over and help re-enact Cornwallis surrendering in Yorktown.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I dunno. Is it possible to add another holiday in October? We could ask our British friends to come over and help re-enact Cornwallis surrendering in Yorktown.
    Makes me wonder who reenacts the French in those celebrations down there . . . or reenactments in Europe . . . as I understand alot of people like reenacting US forces over there . . . who reenacts the Axis forces?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    True, but isn't Cinco de Mayo observed more as a celebration of Mexican culture nowadays, as opposed to the original celebration of the defeat of the invading French forces?

(I'll avoid poking fun at the French for needing two tries to beat the Mexican army... )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    True, but isn't Cinco de Mayo observed more as a celebration of Mexican culture nowadays, as opposed to the original celebration of the defeat of the invading French forces?

(I'll avoid poking fun at the French for needing two tries to beat the Mexican army... )
    Aren't most cultural holidays?

Anyway, here's a French with swiss-cheese-like historical knowledge and who didn't travel much, and who was blissfully unaware of this celebration, so this should answer part of the question (I don't know how representative I am of the average French, but anyway this is the first time I hear about this holiday and I don't think I'm particularly misinformed).

Actually, I must confess I didn't even know there had been something between France and Mexico, but as I said, there are some very huge blanks in my historical knowledge.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Here's the Wikipedia background on Cinco de Mayo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

Yes, the French did invade Mexico, along w/ Spain & Britain, in 1862. The Spanish & British eventually left but France stayed b/c Emperor Napoleon III wanted to dominate this former Spanish colony. By 1864 the French had defeated the Mexican army & installed Maximillian as the puppet emperor of Mexico. But his reign was short-lived & Mexican rebels kicked him & the French out by 1867.

I'm not Mexican nor do I know how Mexicans view or celebrate this event, but in the U.S. it's more of a celebration of Mexican culture & food in general & a chance to party.:-)

I doubt it's remembered in France but I don't think there's a reason for the French to be insulted. It happened a long time ago when France was a colonial & imperialist power.

I don't see how one country remembering & celebrating an historical event in which that country freed itself from foreign rule is anything wrong. That happens all over the world.

... especially since in France we were celebrating May 8th, which marks the end of WW2 (though this doesn't lead to a lot of festivities). I really have no trouble with people celebrating a victory over another country (mine included), since most of the time this happened some time ago, and I feel hardly concerned by what people of my country thought or did some centuries ago (otherwise I'd be loathe setting a foot in Trafalgar Square, for instance ).

Thanks for the info Jem'Hadar. The Napoleon III era is indeed not my best known historical area, though I shouldn't be surprised, since the guy losed almost every war he took part in (culminating of course with the 1870 war with Bismark's Prussia).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Makes me wonder who reenacts the French in those celebrations down there . . . or reenactments in Europe . . . as I understand alot of people like reenacting US forces over there . . . who reenacts the Axis forces?
    I think it's against the law to re-enact the Axis side in most European countries. For that matter, I kinda wonder about the folks who do so over here. Wearing the Grey as an ACW reenactor usually doesn't mean that they've got white bedsheets hanging in the closet. Making a hobby of dressing up as Waffen SS is a whole 'nother kettle of fish... (Crud. I'm probably consigning yet another normal thread to Sarek's, aren't I? Mods, feel free to delete if this strikes y'all as too political.) As for protraying the French at Cinco de Mayo, I'm thinking it beats protraying Mexican soldiers at a Camerone Day celebration...
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper