Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freighter Deckplans

Freighter Deckplans

Hi Folks,
    Has anyone done up deckplans of a medium-large freighter or passenger ship. I'm working on an introductry Starfleet Academy adventure where the players are heaing to Earth aboard a transport when some of the passengers gas/incapacitate the crew in an effort to steal something valuable.

The idea is for the cadets to be to be doing some work inside a shuttle, and this isolated from the ship's air supply when the thieves gas the ship. The cadets can then surprise the thieves, who think everyone is knocked out.

I just need to find some deckplans for a ship that can hold enough people for the PCs and thieves to blend in with the other passengers.

It would depend on the era. The deckplans for the Huron and Independence are long fanon favorites, for instance. The Merchantman freighter has been done as well... But nothing, that I know of, for the TNG era.

You could try modifying some of the Traveller RPG deckplans to fit a merchant class vessel in Star Trek. You just have to replace the jump drive w/ a warp drive.

Here is the Traveller deckplans web ring:

http://x.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=deckring&id=&list

Hopefully, you'll find something there you'll like.

Yeah that's the route I'd go too, Traveller Deckplans.

How soon do you need it? I might be able to rig you up something in a few days.

I've got fiery dragon future tiles Starships. If you give me a rough idea of what kind of ship you want, I can set something up, and host it for you to download.

The era is going to be later 24th century (say 2278-83). The ship can be older, though. I'm thinking something along the lines of a old tramp freighter or passenger ship. I've got the plans for the Huron, Sherman, and the Merchantman. The merchanman would be excellent except that the plans are for the version of the ship that appears in ST III (40m long). I'm thinkng of something bigger, so I can put the PCs and the pirates/thieves (I'm leaning toward Ferengi) on the same ship without the thieves automatically being noticed and drawing attention to themselves.

The advenure is going to be an introudctory adventure for the players (non are familar with CODA, although they have enough D20 experience to grasp the basic mechancis), and so it will stress some skill attempts and such. Since the characters are heading to Starfleet Academy, they are not going to have much for skills (I'm giveing them thier Personal Development Packages and another 5 free picks to round themselves out and be "exceptional" canditates). I'm trying to write up something that will rely on skills that can be used untrained.

I'll check out the Traveller plans, but most of thier ships are smaller craft (the sort of ships that are ideal for a group of PCs). I might try oing some editing of the Class 3 Merchantman plans to see if I can et a bigger ship out of them. I wish I still had my plans for the Deneva from Stardate.
    Last edited by tonyg; 05-12-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    Yeah that's the route I'd go too, Traveller Deckplans.

How soon do you need it? I might be able to rig you up something in a few days.

I've got fiery dragon future tiles Starships. If you give me a rough idea of what kind of ship you want, I can set something up, and host it for you to download.

Thanks, but don't go to any trouble. I was checking to see if someon had something done up already, before I go through the effort of working something up. I do appeciate the offer, but don't go to any trouble.

Thanks.

AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Hey, now that's a big ship. Lots of places for the cadets to play hide and seek with the Ferengi pirates. Thanks Dan.

BTW, I started to write it up in Starships, but with 57,600 cargo units...

Does anyone know if the 25 cubic meters per cargo unit correct? It seems small (that's under 3m/10 feet per side). Especially since the shuttlebay on a Constitution class is close to 3000 cubic meters (30mx10mx10m), or 120 cargo units.

A 21st century freighter (size 4-5) can carry around 2466 "standard cargo units". The largest container ships today (size 5-6) carry around 9200TEUs (around 14183SCU).

Maybe we should get Size cubed SCU per space?
    Last edited by tonyg; 05-12-2006 at 10:35 PM.

In Spacedock, a standard 1 SU Cargo Hold is 33,000 cubic meters. So, the 24 containers attached to that ship are a shade over 43.6 SUs of Cargo. As a Transport with a crew of 30, it should be 1000 SUs, which puts it between Size 3 and Size 5. (By length and height it should be Size 7, and I suspect that the SU count goes up dramaticly if you replace Cargo pods with the ones described as containing crew spaces.)

But I suspect your question pertained to the FASA system.
    According to Trader Captains and Merchant Princes, a FASA-Trek SCU is 6.75 cubic meters, and is intended to fill an area of floorplan 1.5 meters on a side (which means it is stacked 3 meters high).
    That would make a single cargo pod hold 8886 SCUs, or almost 213273 SCUs for the whole ship.

I think it is save to say this ship is bigger than any cargo vessel we ever saw on screen, except for Voyager's preference for truly huge alien vessels.

Then again, the absence of truly huge cargo vessels has been something of a curiosity in the Trek universe. (I always assumed it meant that ships above a given size got less efficient at warp.)
    Last edited by spyone; 05-15-2006 at 03:08 AM.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Nope, I am uing CODA. In the NG, it is mnionedtht cargo unit is roughly equal to 25 cubic meters. Its a note that the amount can vary somewhat based upon the classification of the vessel.

25 cubic meters seems way to small. It looks a lot like a typo (250m3), or an error (square meters instead of cubic).

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    25 cubic meters seems way to small. It looks a lot like a typo (250m3), or an error (square meters instead of cubic).
    Perhaps this could or should be mentioned over here as well http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=12276 although I think it is a little too late...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Nope, I am uing CODA. In the NG, it is mnionedtht cargo unit is roughly equal to 25 cubic meters. Its a note that the amount can vary somewhat based upon the classification of the vessel.

Well, FASA's cargo units were 1.5x1.5x3meters in size (6.75 cubic meters). Using a 3 meter deck height, that gives a 2.88 sq. meter "footprint" for each 25 cubic meter cargo unit....

That would mean that a Constitution-class ship (IIRC) would have cargo areas that add up to some 172.8 square meters of deck space (assuming single-deck height). Sounds about right to me at first glance...
    Last edited by Doug Burke; 05-18-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Perhaps this could or should be mentioned over here as well http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=12276 although I think it is a little too late...
    Not too late at all; that thread's for both PG and NG issues, and the size of a cargo unit is a NG issue.

I'm about to close down discussion of PG issues, though, since I'm trying to put that one to bed ASAP.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Well, FASA's cargo units were 1.5x1.5x3meters in size (6.75 cubic meters). Using a 3 meter deck height, that gives a 2.88 sq. meter "footprint" for each 25 cubic meter cargo unit....

That would mean that a Constitution-class ship (IIRC) would have cargo areas that add up to some 172.8 square meters of deck space (assuming single-deck height). Sounds about right to me at first glance...
    Corrected your typo (6.75 m^3 as opposed to 6/75 m^3).

I'd have to have my books handy to corroborate, but yeah, it sounds about right.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support