Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trek in San Diego

Trek in San Diego

Those interested, drop me a line.

In two weeks a DW campaign is forming.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Say, off on the side question. Is gametowne old town still open? I remeber when it started out of a trailer, owned by Clark Knapp. Then he went to 3 or 4 stores.

Fond memories of that store and the people that played there in the late 80's early 90's.

As far as I am aware, yes. However, in many ways it has been surpassed by Game Empire on Kearny Mesa.

Unfortunatly . . . for a city this size, good roleplaying stores are few and far between.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Yeah, that was true 15-20 years ago, too. perhaps 3 stores in the entire Bay area, and two of those were crap.

I 90% of the time shopped at Gametowne.

Good luck weith your game.

Thanks. I am suprised that there isn't one right across from the Submarine base.

I'll be visiting in late July were exactly is this store in Old Town?
    Draftsmen in Training

Game Towne
    3954 Harney Street (in Old Town)
    San Diego, CA 92110
    Phone: (619) 291-1666
    www.gametowne.com

Is the last I had for it. a few places on the web seem to reflect that also.

As I recall from 12-15 years ago, it was a short walk down the back streets from the big restaurant/tourist trap area, where they used to have these long saloon looking buildings. No idea if any of that is still there. I was last stationed there in 1994. But the above address sounds right.

I (along with a few other guys) used to run Battletech Demos for him, in his back room, when new FASA product came out, I'd feature it in a scenario for the Battletech club.

90% of my beloved FASA Trek, and GDW Classic Traveller collections were bought at his store, still got the price tags on 'em, even now.

Good times.

The above website link to gametowne.com RETURNS 404 for me.

*shrug* I hope Mr. Knapp is still around. A good guy. I used to take the Trolley and then a bus from 32nd Street Naval Station every weekend, to hang out and or game there. I'm sure I was paying someone's salary, I bought so much stuff.

A four year old post on this page
    http://p222.ezboard.com/fokayyourtur...art=21&stop=40

By Mythusmage

says:

"Gametowne in Old Town San Diego, at the corner of Harney and Congress. The staff games, knows the field, and will special order. Plus they discount DnD stuff from Wizards."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R.
    I'll be visiting in late July were exactly is this store in Old Town?
    For ComiCon?

No to see relatives in El Cajon, when is ComiCon this year? I know when I visted last year I had just missed it. BTW there is a pretty decent store just at the bottom of the exit ramp off 8 in El Cajon (this wold be the first exit for El Cajon from San Diego).
    Draftsmen in Training

JULY 19-22

I roleplay in El Cajon . . . but most of my group works in Kearny Mesa, so we go to Game Empire . . . do you know the addy to that place? Maybe I can find some used ICON books.

Damn !!!! just missing it again this year as well, I arrive on the 25th. Some day I will remember it BEFORE I make my plans.

From what I remember from last year it did not have much ICON stuff I seem to recall seeing a Holdeck adventures book but not much more. There was no CODA stuff there as well.
    Draftsmen in Training

Yah, ComiCon isn't the place to go for RPG stuff . . . not really . . . more CCG stuff then I'd like to see.

Thats not overly bad for me especially since I have gotten into collecting the ships of Pirates of the Spainsh Main and its various off shoots (Crimson Coast, Barbery Coast etc. . .).

Hey if you play in El Cajon maybe we can get together for an appearence of a "special guest star" in your game. PM me so we can talk about it.
    Draftsmen in Training