Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-posting Members

Non-posting Members

I was looking through the members list . . and we have 816 members who have never posted a single post . . . some dating back to 1999.

That's a long time without contributing.

----

And we have 1441 members who have posted less then 5 post total.

And we have 1668 members who have posted less then 10 post total.

----

We have 36 members who have posted more than 1000 post.

We have 70 members who have posted more than 500 post.

we have 199 members who have posted at least 100 post.

----

Wow! What a difference!
    Last edited by JALU3; 05-16-2006 at 03:23 PM.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I am one of those at under 100, and I have been a memeber for a long time...ran demo games for both ICON and Decipher back in the day at GenCon's for three years.

Put the books away sometime ago and just recently brought them back out and then came back to the boards and started reading.

Excellent posts by many some old "faces" that I remember some very new ones...my face to face group does not want anyting to do with ST so I might be stuck running this on my message board. We shall see....

Thanks for keeping this place alive!
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

I know one of the non-posting members is me under a different name. I had registered here way back when, then promptly forgot about it. When Coda came out, I reregistered with another name, forgetting I had already been registered here.

The Few, the Proud, the 36 prolific talkers
    So is there a point to this statistic note, or are we just reminiscing?

I also know Thia (45 posts) hangs around (normally over my shoulder however)
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Justing placing up stats . . . I think it's interesting if you look at the numbers.

Can you imagine if all of us were talking . . . I am sure that the more prolific contributers do our fair share . . . but imagine if all members did a post a day . . . we'd rival Myspace!
    Last edited by JALU3; 05-17-2006 at 12:27 AM.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I think that some of those members are long gone while others seem to be getting all they need without posting all too much. I did that as well and have been away for some years in between, although I was happy to see that the place was still here when I finally regained access to the WWW.

I think that probably some people still think that the place shut down after Don's anouncement. I have the feeling that some people of earlier days simply don't know we're still alive and kicking. Others might just not care, as I remember some disagreement as if we would all return from FBR back here. Some decided to stay and seem to be gone from there and here by now...

Every now and then there is a post of some long term member telling he found his or her way back to the boards after being away for some time either because of a hiatus in real life or he/she stumbled about the boards by accident, thinking they were long gone...

I have seen that if you log onto the boards at different (and strange) times and hit the "who's online" button I nearly every second time spot a name I haven't seen before. There are a lot of people coming here, obvisouly enjoying what they find. But not everyone necessarily has a game running or experiences to share, so they watch and read what those more active posters tell and participate in that way.

Again others might simply feel not comfortable with their written english to post messages here all the time. I know I didn't feel to confident about my own writting and english skills. But after some time I came to realise, that you guys will try to understand what one wants to say not how he says it, thank god, this is not school or college here

I'm very happy that this place is around and that you can connect to your hobby even if you have no game running or preparing for one or just meet people you have come to know for years now...

I'll stop babbling now and prepare for work See you later...

i'm not a super poster but every day i look this forum.

now i looking for the kvort cha class ship from dominon wars game.

maybe i make it if i found nothing.!!!!

and post it

@+
    kalamaro, le poulpe qui fond derriere son clavier

Some of those "non-posting" members are going to be blasts from the past who had their post-total eaten.

I'm around 600 now, but I was at over 1000 before a board crash ate a lot of posts and the entire membership roles several years ago.

After at least 1 crash, Don "fixed" our post totals to reflect what we had really posted, but only if we were still around to ask him to.

I was not a lurker when I joined, yet my join date is in January 2000 and my first post if from December 2000, so I think most of the posts from the year 2000 got eaten.

I notice spytwo isn't on the member roles anymore: I only had about 4 posts under that name when I couldn't remember my password. IIRC, they all were asking for help retrieving my password. And I think I asked for him to be deleted.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Well i'm not posting much but i've been lurking here for a while now
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

I'm finding it interesting all the people defending themselves in this thread have over 100 posts. I haven't seen a true lurker here yet.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I'm like Ronin w/80 posts since 07-22-2002.(I thought I'd been here longer)

now i looking for the kvort cha class ship from dominon wars game.
    If you are looking for the Spacedock version . . . there is one within the database on the main non-forum page. Alot of good LUG resources still remain there . . . as well as member's sites.

Some of those "non-posting" members are going to be blasts from the past who had their post-total eaten.
    When did this crash happen, I think I may have joined up just after one of these events.

----

There is nothing wrong with lurking . . . however, if you have something useful to add to the discussion . . . feel free to chime in.

I know I don't post much, sorry about that. But in truth, I find most if not all of my questions already answered. So I don't think posting a question that has already been answered worth anyone's time. All I need to do is look.

I've been in a semi-lurking mode since a few years, with only the occasional post every week or so, while I used to be much more active some time ago (hence my presence in the 1000 club ).

I blame real life being a female dog eating all my time.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I read a lot more than I post these days since Star Wars and DnD proved much more popular than Trek with my group. I still like to geek out over the LotR stuff and see what's in the latest Hall of Fire.

As for all the scum who register and don't bother to post... Wipe them out. All of them. Grrr.

But seriously, if someone registers and doesn't even lurk, then it's time to clean out the chaff. Recently I registered at the Waves in the Black forum for Serenity RPG, and I couldn't be Sarge there because that name was taken. How many posts have I seen by that Sarge? Zippo. So I had to take a different name, and settled for Old Sarge. (I was coming up on my 40th birthday at the time.)
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1