Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X Men 3 - SPOILERS

Post X Men 3 - SPOILERS

Warning again - spoilers to be expected -

Well this was a movie I had been rather expecting, since I quite liked the second opus. It's too bad I stumbled upon a spoiler some time ago which was accurate for the first part of the movie and the two more important deaths.

Maybe that's why I feel a bit disappointed by the movie. For one thing, I found it was a bit too short - and that, considering its length, some parts were a tad unnecessary (for instance the shots of Mystique's prison-truck).

Then some characters get a bit shorthanded IMHO. I felt there was less time for character development as in the previous movies. It would have been nice, for instance, to learn a bit more about the background of Colossus and the Beast, as they were new to the team. And I really feel sad for Cyclope's or Rogue's fans.

Far worse IMHO is the Phoenix - from the moment she joined Magneto, Jean/Phoenix did little more than look sinister standing beside him (before trying to destroy everything in her path, as expected).

Finally, I found myself expecting more action scenes - the final battle was good, of course, but before that, there was really not much equivalent to the attack of the school in X Men 2.

On the plus side, well, for one thing, the FX, of course - I loved Iceman's turning to ice, and the Golden Gate flying (man, but in how many movies will that poor bridge have been destroyed ? ), and most of Phenix's pyrotechnics.
    The final battle was quite good (loved the Beast, Storm, and Shadowcat), and I found the scene at Alkali Lake with Wolverine and Storm nicely done and rather eerie.

Oh and - am I the only one thinking that the "guy without brain activity" Xavier talks about at the beginning is the XMen equivalent of Spock's "remember me" in STII ?

Anyway - what did you guys think ?
    Last edited by C5; 05-25-2006 at 06:03 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I'd like to point out the fact that there is a silent "o" in Phoenix...
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Oh ok thanks (never manage to remember the correct spelling).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

'S'al right

I cannot wait to see this movie, the previews look great, SFX incredible. Length will always be an issue in this kind of movie, I thought LOTR was too short. Besides there needs to be something left to put in the "Directors Cut". The deaths...Remember "There's dead and then there's Marvel Dead (TM)".
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    Oh and - am I the only one thinking that the "guy without brain activity" Xavier talks about at the beginning is the XMen equivalent of Spock's "remember me" in STII ?
    I'm not saying, but you should have waited until the credits finished rolling...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Yeah, that's what I just heard from my GF's sister (who BTW is a big fan of Rogue and a bit disappointed...). Since I intended to watch it again anyway, I'll stay this time...
    Terry Pratchett

Considering that it got some mediocre reviews and some downright poor reviews, I expected to be disappoint. But the film was fine entertainment.

I will refrain from further comment on the matters already discussed, beyond confirming that you should stay through the end of the credits.
    Take care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.

I found the first three-quarters of the film enjoyable, but the big fight proved to be largely boring. It was nice to see Beast in action, though. Character development was minimal, as I feared. Colossus and Shadowcat get virtually no fleshing out, despite being a third of the team in the final confrontation. Angel, Rogue and Cyclops seem like afterthoughts. Won't see this one a second time, nor will I buy it when it's released on DVD, but at least I don't have the same sense of having wasted two hours of my life and the cost of a matinee ticket like I did after seeing Star Trek: Nemesis.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I just got back from a screening. It wasn't a bad film by any means, but it gave so many characters the boot in such a short time that their deaths were meaningless. I mean, the fifth season of 24 couldn't do justice to the same number of major deaths, and it was 10 times as long.

On a positive note, Kelsey Grammer was born to play the Beast. And the other new (good) mutants were pretty good, too. Unfortunately the new bad mutants were all excised faster than you can say "where's nightcrawler in this movie?
    *"

*I know Alan Cummings didn't want to return, but the character's dissapearance is strange.

A lot of potential ruined by a short attention span. Still, the Wolverine movie could be good.

7/10.
    C-
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Things seemed a bit rushed, imho.

The deaths would have been dramatic if they didnt seem like a chance to 'cut out the deadwood' as some suit might have said.

The Sentinel Cameo could have been more; I expected to see them at the end.

And the happy ending was just crap. The world just saw ONE MUTANT just about destroy Alcatraz Island, and what, a platoon of American Soldiers, and no one is worried? In the comic, that same event would lead to anit-mutant legislation, crackdowns on mutant groups (the Brotherhood, X-men and Supertramp), and possible mass use of the 'cure' on all hostile mutants!

And if Mag's still has his powers, then how permenant is that cure after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    The deaths would have been dramatic if they didnt seem like a chance to 'cut out the deadwood' as some suit might have said.
    I would agree with this statement - I would have involved fewer mutants in the final confrontation and probably fewer soldiers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    The world just saw ONE MUTANT just about destroy Alcatraz Island, and what, a platoon of American Soldiers, and no one is worried? In the comic, that same event would lead to anit-mutant legislation, crackdowns on mutant groups (the Brotherhood, X-men and Supertramp), and possible mass use of the 'cure' on all hostile mutants!
    True, but at least the portrayal is consistent with Magneto at the height of his powers. He once reached more or less across the world to crush a Russian ballistic submarine after it attacked him.

You're right that there would be a big crackdown, but I think that would start as soon as mutants appear. The last thing governments want are citizens who are not biddable or coerceable; government is guaranteed to seek the destruction of anyone powerful enough to ignore it on a whim. That would include most of the X-Men and most of the brotherhood. Whether you agree with his methods or not, Magneto was exactly right about how the government would proceed. So even without the attack on Alcatraz, the things you describe are likely.
    Take care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.

That's another thing I found rather weird about this movie : so far (in the previous XMen movies, that is) we were in a setting where a mutant sneezing too loudly would cause massive riots against the mutie threat (even when the sneezing was a normal one that didn't cause windows to shatter), while in X3, we see mutants demonstrating, mutants in the White House, mutants destroying one of the most famous bridge in the world, not to mention lots of [strike]red shirts[/strike] soldiers, and absolutely no one seems to be upset...

I would at least have expected to see the mutants demonstrations being opposed by groups of anti-muties extremists... that would at least have been coherent with the previous movies, where parents could turn against their son because of his mutation.

I still think this movie lacked half an hour... I'll keep hoping for the deleted scenes in the DVD.

Oh well... at least I can crack endless City of Heroes jokes (like, how can a lvl 35 scrapper one-shot a lvl 50 archvillain ? )

Thinking about it... has this mutant classification (class 3, class 5...) already been used anywhere in the Marvel comics ? I don't remember ever hearing about it, but I'm no expert on the matter.
    Terry Pratchett

I saw the movie cold (no spoilers, no advanced warning).

I enjoyed the action scenes, but that's about it.

The characterizations were stilted, the acting wooden, and the plot childish. Unless you are a die-hard X-men fan, with boxes and boxes of fading, yellowed comics in your garage, you won't recognize half the characters, understand much (if any) of the backstory, or sympathize with the leading characters

The ending (and the rationalizations) were severe disappointments.

All things being equal, one might suspect that someone turned Berman & Braga loose on the franchise.

The only things Pheonix was missing were the black cape, the heavy mask and stentorian breathing, and, of course, any kind of character development.

A franchise movie like this is an opportunity to catch up with "old friends" and familiar faces (or to introduce them to new audiences). This movie failed flatly.
    Rather than having been a half-hour too short, I'm convinced the movie was about an hour-and-a-half too long.

Given that the only real character development or characterization came from Hugh Jackman's character, I thought this WAS the Wolverine movie.

On a happier note, though- I have to agree with Hirogen A- Kelsey Grammer was great as the Beast. And Mystique's few scenes were some of the highpoints of the film, especially AFTER Magneto cut her loose.

Given the government's (totally rational) "duplicity" in turning the cure into a weapon (and willingness to deploy it on at least company scale), the happy ending was just a little too sacharrin sweet. At least Brent Spiner wasn't singing.

Anybody catch the name of the armory sergeant doing the voice-over as they switched out weapons? IMHO, that was the highpoint of the movie.

Okay, the suspense is killing me- somebody PM me and tell me what happened at the end of the credits. I'm not gonna pay another seven dollars just to see the last two minutes or so.

C5; you make a good point; the mutants seem to have too much voice; they are supposed to be outsiders, and with not enough members to have a Political Action Committe!!

I took a girl I've been seeing to the movie (big mistake, she really didnt like it, but our trip to a zoo the next day won me some points), and she is totally new to all things X. She wanted to know why if they are all mutants, why is 'that blue guy' the only one that looks weird? And why did everyone in the 'cure lines' look as normal as the rest of the cast.

This last part is a good point; in the original story, the line for the cure was full of misshapen mutants, and people who's mutations (like Rouge's) made daily life horrible for the mutant. This added a new dramatic dimention missing from the film: that for some people having the cure wasn't just a 'i want to be normal' issue but a 'i can't live like this' issue. I have some alternate ways to explain what i mean, but i'm not gonna use them, as they might offend some people or seem too politcal: if I need to clarify I'll through out my metaphors....

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    You didn't stay to the end of the credits? Did you?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One