Thread: Errata for Starships?

Errata for Starships?

Does an errata sheet exist for the Starships book, out of curiosity?

Thanks!

Not yet; we're working on it as quickly as we can.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I had a lot of questions about 3 months ago, and these are the answers I got.
    If there are other that got responce of some kind let us know and post them here to.

Starship Questions + Answers:

1) Beam weapons lose their effectiveness over a distance. So I presume that the same rule applies for the following Alien Beam weapons, but how much, or how??

-Cutting Beam: I think its Point Blank range because the target has to be hold in a Tractor Beam. Correct?

Close. Tractor beams have a maximum range of Short, therefore a cutting beam's effective range is Short or Point Blank. The effect is the same regardless.

-Energy Drain (Breen and Borg): I think -2 penalty on the reliability TN 15 test per range category the system's must make, to a maximum range of Medium. Correct?

The TN to hit the defending ship is its shield Protection Rating + 5 with the Energy Drain weapon. An Energy Drain weapon's effects are not diminished by range; then TN 15 reliability test is made from a point blank range attack or a medium range one. I would place a maximum range of Medium on this weapon, however. (The Energy Drain is mostly a plot device weapon anyway, and was quickly countered by Starfleet Engineers in DS9.)

2) Borg Energy Drain question: Which of the following effect is the right one? And what to do when the Borg scores a High success on their attack test (superior, extra ordinary success)?
    -The Shield system needs to make a reliability TN 15 test and if they fail be rendered inoperable, and if they make the test then the shield looses 3 points of strength.
    -The Shield system needs to make a reliability TN 15 test and if they fail the shield looses 3 points of strength.

There are no special effects for a high success result with an Energy Drain weapon. It hits or it doesn't. In the case of a Borg Energy Drain weapon, 3 points of shield strength are lost if the weapon hits, regardless of the degree of success.

Shields (and all other systems) must make a TN 15 reliability test or be rendered inoperable only on Breen or other faction's energy drain weapons. Borg Energy Drain weapons are special and apply to *shields only*. There is no TN 15 reliability test when attacked by a Borg Energy Drain weapon. Once the Borg suck your shields dry (after a few rounds) then the fun starts as drones start beaming in or your hull gets cut into bite-sized pieces. =)

-When the ship is successfully attacked, the shield looses 3 points of strength.

This is correct.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Not yet; we're working on it as quickly as we can.
    Good to hear. I'm particularly interested in errata for the ship templates; some of them seem "off" in small ways.

Back from the dead with this thread!!

I've been crunching the numbers of existing ships using the rules, with both Starships and the Narrator's Guide and I've found a few problems, specifically with the refit Constitution class.

Using the NG build rules, those Class 3 sensors REALLY cost a lot (2 pts space per decade early). Now, assuming that the original is a 2260s model rather than the 2245 fresh off the rack, I have 3 points of space left over after the build. But the 2270s refit is a whopping 6 points in the hole! I evened it out with my house rule for "selling back" transporter sets, but I felt kinda dirty scamming that many points on a house rule.

Running both sets of numbers against the Starships rules, each version of the Constitution class has enough points (in fact, the Mk I has a whopping 15 extra points - I musta forgot something) but I notice that the Prototype extra for the refit shows the missiles at +1, when the chart in the build rules section seems to have capped missile weapons at +0 for edges. Am I not understanding the prototype rules? Calling all engineers!