Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STRPG Player's Guide Upate 06/01/06

Post STRPG Player's Guide Upate 06/01/06

As usual, this is cross-posted on both trek-rpg.net's forums and Decipher's forums.

Well, I thought I'd take advantage of the beginning of a new month to provide some updates on what's going on...especially since I'm the hold-up at the moment. My baby daughter's been ill (nothing serious, really, unless you're a first-time parent, in which case it's world-shattering), or I have, or my wife has, so I've been distracted; this has kept me away from this project. So again, I apologize for the delay in getting things done, but one has to have prioirities.

That said: I've been <strike>bleeding all over</strike> editing the printout of the PDF files I received, and with a couple of small exceptions, those edits are complete. I'm over halfway finished transferring the paper edits to electronic form. Those chapters that I've completed electronically have been sent to another pair of eyes for vetting before we send them on to Decipher to have the final files worked on. In the meantime, of course, I'm working on getting the rest of the files ready, and hope to have that done this weekend.

I've also been redoing the errata document and FAQs. That document is basically complete through chapter eight ("Characteristics"), and should be ready to go as soon as I finish the electronic editing of the rest of the book. The errata document is rather substantial; even though some of it is typo cleanup, the document currently sits at about 14 pages (though six of those are revised archetypes). There's a lot of crunchy bits that have been changed or clarified, based on the past several years of actual play experience. When I get it finished, I'll post it, unless there's a profound call to have the partial document posted now. Personally, I think I'd rather wait.

I've also started tinkering with the Player's Guide Enterprise Update manuscript, most of which is already actually written in various pieces here and there. It should be ready for vetting and submission by the end of the month, though it will need CBS/Paramount approval once it's done. Updates on that as I get them.

That's where we are, I think. If you have any questions, please don't hestitate to ask.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

It's been said before, but I will say it again...

You da MAN, Mr. Goodman!

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I appreciate that, Hugh, though I must admit that I'm not sure what it is you're complimenting me for at this point. The vote of confidence, though, is about the only pay I get, so thanks.

What's the pre-approval Ent book looking like? Anything you're not sure if they'd approve?

What was the reason again that the errata couldn't be integrated into the main text? It really is such a pity that it couldn't be done this way.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    What's the pre-approval Ent book looking like? Anything you're not sure if they'd approve?
    Nah, I think it's a formality, but it's one of those formalities that really does need to be observed. I've already kind of jumped the gun with some of the things I posted earlier because of a misunderstanding on my part. I won't let that happen again.

Anyway, it's being formatted more or less like the PG for consistency's sake. It's got my historical piece. There are several development packages, both personal and professional, most of which are keyed to the era (but some could just as easily be used in the 24th century as the 22nd). I don't remember any new professional abilities, but there is a little bit of word on era-specific uses of existing professions. (Some of this I'm going from memory on; the document in question is in the other room on my laptop.) Denobulans are added as a player species, and some era-specific notes on using the originally presented species from the PG are also included. A good chunk of equipment is also included.

Quote Originally Posted by Squick
    What was the reason again that the errata couldn't be integrated into the main text? It really is such a pity that it couldn't be done this way.
    Time, manpower, and money, not necesarily in that order. Decipher doesn't have enough people to devote to doing more than fixing egregious typos, nor do they have the money at the moment to pay someone to do so (there are reasons that Kieran left to pursue freelancing).

They're already getting my services for free, but you can see what kind of delays that can cause at times. I devote a lot of time to this, but my family comes first in my scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Nah, I think it's a formality, but it's one of those formalities that really does need to be observed. I've already kind of jumped the gun with some of the things I posted earlier because of a misunderstanding on my part. I won't let that happen again.

Anyway, it's being formatted more or less like the PG for consistency's sake. It's got my historical piece. There are several development packages, both personal and professional, most of which are keyed to the era (but some could just as easily be used in the 24th century as the 22nd). I don't remember any new professional abilities, but there is a little bit of word on era-specific uses of existing professions. (Some of this I'm going from memory on; the document in question is in the other room on my laptop.) Denobulans are added as a player species, and some era-specific notes on using the originally presented species from the PG are also included. A good chunk of equipment is also included.
    Were there plans to add Ent stuff to the Narrator's Guide?

That's currently what I'm wanting to do, yes, have an NG Ent Update with some of the NG-appropriate stuff. We'll have to see how things shake out.

Time, manpower, and money, not necesarily in that order. Decipher doesn't have enough people to devote to doing more than fixing egregious typos, nor do they have the money at the moment to pay someone to do so (there are reasons that Kieran left to pursue freelancing).

They're already getting my services for free, but you can see what kind of delays that can cause at times. I devote a lot of time to this, but my family comes first in my scheduling.
    Fair enough. Makes sense. Just such a pity. But I suppose anything to further this great game is a good thing.

And it looks like I might have misunderstood your question. Yes, there were some vague plans to add Enterprise material to the NG, as we had planned to do with the PG. As it stands now, I'll be putting together a separate update document. Is that more informative?

Are the ENT update documents going to be made available separately from the PG and NG pdfs?

Once the PG and NG are relased, what then for CODA? Convert the SOM to pdf or do we get to see some more new stuff?

And it looks like I might have misunderstood your question. Yes, there were some vague plans to add Enterprise material to the NG, as we had planned to do with the PG. As it stands now, I'll be putting together a separate update document. Is that more informative?
    Indeed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Are the ENT update documents going to be made available separately from the PG and NG pdfs?
    That's the plan, yes. How Decipher will choose to handle that is, well, anybody's guess.

What I envisioned originally was a single, unified PG and a single, unified NG. Well, you can tell by all the talks how that went down. What I've proposed to Scott Gaeta at Decipher is: Player's Guide PDF, comprehensive errata/FAQ document (in posts on forums and as a PDF for easy access), and PG Enterprise update PDF. He's been very good in the past about shooting down ideas of mine that won't work for whatever reason.

He hasn't shot this one down. I'm proceeding on the belief that in the absence of a prohibition, it's okay for me to go ahead as I've planned.

If this is successful, then I think following the same model for the Narrator's Guide is only logical. The other books (including, inevitably, the ENT update documents themselves) will just get the comprehensive errata treatment.
    Once the PG and NG are relased, what then for CODA? Convert the SOM to pdf or do we get to see some more new stuff?
    All the existing books are due to be converted to PDF. There's also a backlog of existing material (the infamous Klingon book, for instance, as well as several others) in various stages of finished. Most of them will require a good deal of work on the layout front...and that's where we seem to run into a problem with manpower.

What next? Hell, I don't know. All I can tell you at the moment is that I'm trying my damnedest to get the new material out, and that negotiations are ongoing. Beyond that, I honestly haven't got a clue. As usual, though, once I have some news I'll pass it along.

Thanks for the fast feedback and infomation.

I think most of us here realize that the situation with Decipher and CODA is strange. Why? We can't fathom, but it is. I also believe that most of us are aware that a lot of people have worked very hard to get stuff out for our enjoyment. Usually under unreasonable condtions and expectations for little compensation (if any).

Thank You and all the other folks who got used and abused just so the rest of us got a new game to play with.